Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's turn the spare bedroom into a model town!

While at dinner tonight I had told my wife about the forum and we had talked and she said she enjoys the model car hobby and eventually wants to begin building but she doesn't have a real idea of what she likes to build. Don't get me wrong I was in shock when she told me that and I couldn't believe them words came out of her mouth.. LOL! Although she very much enjoys her arts and crafts (ceramic dolls and ceramic paintings) She had asked me about a small garage I had started building and she seemed very interested in it..

Here we sit at dinner, on the forum around the IPad looking at members dioramas and she was in shock as much as I am at how very well you guys have put together these dioramas. After about 20 minutes of looking she says "You know what would be totally cool" "what's that I ask?" she says, you know we have the spare bedroom upstairs and I said "Yes?" Then she says, I think I'd much rather enjoy building, painting and detailing those little houses and shops. I told her based off her past paintings she has good attention to detail...

So she says to me, we have 4 unused 10' tables left from the garage sale. what if we lined the 3 walls (keeping the wall with the door on the room open) with those tables and we built a town? I thought I'd never hear these words and I didn't even think about it and I said "Yes!!" What a great idea! so the whole way home (25 minute drive) We tossed around ideas of doing a road all the way around the room on the tables and putting a shop, gas station, food market and few other places around the town with everything done in 1/24 scale.... we have a pretty good idea of what were gonna do with the whole diorama... Basically our own little make believe town with different groups of vehicles hanging out and many cars and trucks just to look like there driving and in driveways of the houses around the town.

I just thought I'd share this with you guys. I got a huge kick out of it. I thought this will be a good way to spend quality time and call something "ours". what are your thoughts on this? I'm gonna be headed to micheals to check out possible diorama items in the morning!!

I am planning the whole diorama to be in 1/24 scale. I've never built anything besides that scale and honestly, if I went to a bigger scale my in expirience and flaws would stand our more and I wouldn't have the patience for anything smaller lol

I'm planning it out so about 60 cars will fit on this dio. I am gonna take my time as much as possible so I don't rush this, I have the space so I figure why not use it LOL. I still got a lot of planning to do. I might end up needing more tables LOL! Gas station, Shop, Auto parts store, 3 houses in a culda sack, many store fronts along the road way

That's pretty cool. I'd suggest looking at model train layouts even if they are smaller scale. You get plenty of ideas ans see many of the materials that are available for scenery and buildings. Don't forget one of those tables jutting out into the room for a peninsula!

LOL! ! Thank you guys. I got a great girl, one who puts up with a lot of the non sense I do. Fishing, hunting, 4 wheeling trips with the buddies, car shows and now model cars. I couldn't of asked for any better.

LOL at "You live in what". That'd sure be a funny episode.

I plan to do all construction of everything except the shop tools basically. Those will be bought. Some of the buildings will be 3D fully dbuilt up dioss but I will be doing just front store faces along most of the road way but I will be detailing them with lights, Windows and such. I seen someone building curbs and fake grass that looked very real. ill need to find it again for my doo.

I might be slow on the model builds due to this but, in the end ill have a very very nice way to display all my builds... I can't gaurentee all the builds will be mine LOL I might need to buy a few built ups to place on it... Then use them to plan around it.

Alberto, Great plan for the scale town. Take you time and have fun building.

Please post progression pics of the build.

Link to 1/25 scale garage.

http://buildcarmodel...e001/index.html

Start with a plan, but it will change often.

That's a very nicely-done model. I may try something like that myself, although I think using the real drywall might be taking it a bit too far for me.

Charlie Larkin

I agree with y'all lucky man but i can't complain either. i was once told

anything i want with 4 wheels no 2 wheelers . and now she has her own

1:1 project car (67 chevelle that was her fathers) .She doesn't even complain

about all my model kits so ....

Michael

That sounds very cool...I have talked about doing something to that effect also with my wife once one of the kids leave and stay left..lol they keep coming back and she likes to keep a spare room for guest. I was wanting a car room to display my models and do it in a city type setting. Or just make it into a train layout room. I used to have a layout long ago and making scenery and building and detailing builds was always the fun part of the layout. and with G scale being big now there is kits and scenery stuff for doing the cars. But be ware....she might want to double the size of that garage you were talking about after she gets you going on the room!!! The ladies love their sewing and crafting hobbies!!