Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Fred Lorenzen '65 Ford Galaxie 500XL

mmdm4

Hey Mike how about more pictures of what parts are in the bags. Also I see red taillights don't I ?

Ask, and ye shall receive...

Note the separate red tail light lens, and the separate chrome runner with the tail light bezels. Interestingly, the one-piece promo style tail lights are still on the main chrome tree.post-10758-0-76351200-1387153870_thumb.jpost-10758-0-13860700-1387153898_thumb.j

Are the optional stock clear headlight covers there? I believe those parts were in the original annual but haven't been seen in a long time..

Look closely at the photo of the red tail lights. In the same package, the clear headlight lens parts are visible.....

I see the Custom Headlight Lenses

It is hard to tell, bu those red lenses look to be Custom parts too.

Didn't original Promos have the 2 piece tail lights like the original kits??

They did...I got mine today, it still has the one piece taillights. I'm disappointed they didn't restore the original two piece taillights. But at least it's molded in white.

I wonder if mine are just missing from my kit ? Skinny whitewalls and a couple drag slicks are all I got.

Mine is the same way..the instructions show the steel wheels for the racing version going on the whitewalls. I guess Round 2 couldn't put the effort in to include a set of racing tires. I don't recall if the annual included racing tires or not, mine is in storage.

The red lenses You see are for the custom bezels, not stock. Also this kit has no NASCAR type tires.

Just confirming that Joe is correct in both these statements (as referenced in my accompanying photo captions/text for photos #10 and #15 at the link above ).

My '65 annual kit original is missing the instructions, but the only tires in the kit are the stock narrow whitewalls and drag slicks...the new reissue has the same except that the drag slicks are Tampo Printed pie-crusts....I don't recall that AMT had any kits using NASCAR type tires until the wide ovals that came along in '68 or '69...kitbashers back in the day used the "Darlington" tires (IIRC) from the AMT Tires Parts Pack for slot car racers...TIM

Mine is the same way..the instructions show the steel wheels for the racing version going on the whitewalls. I guess Round 2 couldn't put the effort in to include a set of racing tires. I don't recall if the annual included racing tires or not, mine is in storage.

Deciding what to include (and exclude) in a product is one of the most difficult issues a kitmaker faces....it's essentially a series of tradeoffs.

Do you add the extra tires and offset the extra cost by not updating/restoring the tool....or do you add the extra tires and raise the price....or do you do what Round 2 did...and restore the kit to its original status and rely on kitbashers to do the tire upgrade for the NASCAR version?

Tough calls, all. TB

Agreed, but when it's a kit with an illustration of a legendary NASCAR race car on tne box top, one would think tbe inclusion of a set of NASCAR-correct tires would be a no-brainer. I also think moat modelers would've gladly sacrificed the miniature fold-up box to get them.

Carl...given the choice between those two options, I expect that nearly 100% of modelers would agree with you.

Unfortunately, an additional set of four ires (and the further adaptation of the wheels to adapt to the wider tires) would, I expect, be a much more expensive proposition than dropping the fold-up miniature boxes.

Plus I just checked my kit...and there is no miniature fold-up this time. Oh well....

TB

Edited by tim boyd

Carl...given the choice between those two options, I expect that nearly 100% of modelers would agree with you.

Unfortunately, an additional set of four ires (and the further adaptation of the wheels to adapt to the wider tires) would, I expect, be a much more expensive proposition than dropping the fold-up miniature boxes.

Plus I just checked my kit...and there is no miniature fold-up this time. Oh well....

TB

This kit has had wide tires in the past, the '80 version for example, but those weren't NASCAR tires. I am happy to see the whitewalls for the stock version, since the last few releases had poor tires. I am disappointed they didn't retool the taillights to their original form, though.

Agreed, but when it's a kit with an illustration of a legendary NASCAR race car on tne box top, one would think tbe inclusion of a set of NASCAR-correct tires would be a no-brainer. I also think moat modelers would've gladly sacrificed the miniature fold-up box to get them.

Look closely at the illustration of the stock car...it has the Cragar wheels on it. When built according to the original annual kit's instructions, that's how it came out. The only choices were the stock wheel covers or the mags. The inner wheels had some "open wheel" detail (no lug detail as in more recent issues), but no outer halves were ever included to take advantage of that. IMO, Round 2 made the best compromise here. Another set of tires would have added to the price, and those building an all-out NASCAR version would probably not have been happy with whatever tires would have been included. The stock version is here, the original custom parts are back, and the NASCAR version is closer to being accurate than ever, certainly more so than in many annual kits.

• 1 month later...

What happened to the tire jack that was in the original '65 Galaxie kit

According to the instructions, it's still in there....and (update 22 Feb) I just checked the kit to confirm that these parts are indeed part of the updated release.

DSC_1019-vi.jpg

TB

Edited by tim boyd

Tim, Thanks for the photo. I have a 1990s ERTL issue and it seemed to be omitted on the instructions. I have a feeling that it was always there.

Another question; I have a Street Rods version of this kit and the mag wheels clearly have CRAGAR on the centers. Did AMT have to remove the logo from the kit?

Tim, Thanks for the photo. I have a 1990s ERTL issue and it seemed to be omitted on the instructions. I have a feeling that it was always there.

Another question; I have a Street Rods version of this kit and the mag wheels clearly have CRAGAR on the centers. Did AMT have to remove the logo from the kit?

Bob, here's a shot of the Cragars: DSC_0992-vi.jpg

They still have the "Cragar" lettering with the surrounding border, although it is a little faint.

And I just checked, the tire jack parts are definitely in the new release.

For those that haven't seen it, here's my OnLine Review of this new reissue, with 34 pictures and text: http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/new-round-2-amt-65-/new-round-2-amt-65-/

Be sure to click on each picture, or use the slide show feature, so you can see my commentary on each picture..... Hope this helps....TIM

Edited by tim boyd