Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another KW cabover

I find it interesting that all the coe kennys built so far have spiders all round . Looks good so far , i lke it mate .

As a matter of fact, in the days these were around, tons of them had spiders, especially on the drive axles and a lot of them on the steering axle too. The 2 hole steel discs sort of replaced these today. I have seen some recent trucks with spokes on, but they aren't common nowadays.

KJ, looks like you got another outstanding KW there. I think the paint job is super eye-catching and yet as replica stock as you can get. Bare with me here, this is a true compliment. As I personally believe the Alcoa Corp was put on this earth to make spoke wheels

Obsolete, your KW put a BIG ding in my beloved ten hole alloys. Your spokes look GREAT. They add such character. Well Done.

• 3 weeks later...

I am more impressed with the frame detail on your kit then I am with the frame on the kit I am working on.

That is a beautiful truck - Nice paint scheme.

That is an impressive "Ready Line" of Semi's & trailers - is that your family business ?

Thanks! Those pictures are from my family's small trucking company. The pics in this thread are actually from 5 years before I was born. My family sold the company about 12 years ago. The new owner has downsized it a bit and gone more towards being an owner-operator fleet now, but they still have 40-50 trucks running around these days.

hallo

verry nice build on that one. are the rims from that kit or from another one? they look grate on it.

so long

Arnd

The wheels are from the AMT Diamond Reo kit. I took strips of styrene, bent them into a cirlcle, and glued them into the rear rims to creat the drop center of the tubless style rims. Then cut pieces off of a paper clip and glued them in place for the valve stems.

Edited by KJ790

I found this old picture of the real truck:

26_zps4d359968.jpg

This picture was taken in the mid 1980's after the exhaust and intake had been converted from cab mounted to frame mounted. When they did this they turned the intake around so it zig-zagged outward instead of inward.

This truck currently resides in a field with a few other classic KW cabovers. It has been repainted solid blue and has had a few parts stolen from it. It is the one on the left in this picture:

IMAG0048_zps38fdc99e.jpg

IMAG0052_zpscdb57c60.jpg

After scaling off the picture I realized that I had made my air shield too large. So I cut it down a little shorter and repainted it. I also had to cut down the exhaust pipe, and then added a rain cap to the pipe.

002_zpsbafce505.jpg

005_zps16b51008.jpg