Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Kits Were Molded in Green?

Lemme see:

IMC's 1963 and 1965 Lotus powered by Ford Indy car kits, Merit Lotus 11, Cooper Formula III, BRM GP Car, Strombecker's Jaguar XKSS (1/24 scale shelf/motorized model, not a slot car!), Heller's 1930 Blower Bentley, Monogram's Duesenberg SJ Town Car, Monogram's Green Hornet show rod, Heller's 1:24 scale Cooper Formula II, Revell '69 Mustang Grande, Renwal Revival Series '66 Packard....

.....Just to name a few.

Art

Only one I can recall getting was an AMT Mikado RX7 1/25 snap kit, when I was a kid. Got it as a gift from someone, probably my grandparents. Perfect example of a kid getting a kit of a car that they have zero interest in.

To make it worse, the body was molded in an awful grass green color, with bright yellow interior and wheels, with dry rub decals. If it sounds awful, seeing it would be even worse. After a couple years I couldn't stand looking at it on my shelf anymore, so I pulled the wheels/tires off and trashed the rest. Think that's the only model I ever did that with.

There is in green plastic a 1960-ish Revell Austin Healey 100-6 "In Racing Trim" "Competition" re-release of the late 1959/1960 Revell standard sports car kit. The Revell "Competition" series included a few prior kits altered in small ways to reflect a racing configuration.

Ebay commonly has one or two very expensive examples of this green plastic kit on offer. Rarer still is the same kit, but "motorized". This included a motor in the trunk, driving a worm gear that drove a standard gear on the axle.

The Austin Healey isn't American Muscle per se, but a few were cut into gassers. Most notable of these is Rob Ida's, "Hemi-Healy". The misspelling by Ida was intentional. Only a few old photographs of the car exist, but satisfying stories still happen in this world:

Ida sold the car prior to the birth of his son. This son and Ida would come to restore cars and scratch build Tuckers. The son had a son, too, and this grandson found the original "Hemi-Healy". Acquired and restored, the "Hemi-Healy" once again races in its original form and colors (er, orange, not green).

The restoration is extensively documented on Facebook, making a tribute build much easier today than just a couple years ago. Of course, one could spend $100.00 on the green Revell kit for such a project, but the 1990s and 2010 re-release of the sports car (white plastic) or the 1980s fat-tired re-release (red plastic) can be bought more cheaply.

Matchbox also offered a white plastic issue in a short-lived arrangement with Revell.

All are 1/25 scale.

The family business can be found with a search for "Rob Ida Concepts".

An Ebay search of, Revell Austin Healey Competition, will find the green plastic kit. Omitting the word, Competition, will yield the other kits.

I've got a couple Johan superbirds in green ,,and a couple of the 63 Fury kits in green and I think one of my Challenger funnycar kits is green

Btw, I have never seen a Johan 1969 Roadrunner kit molded in green . they are usually, white, off white,yellow , red or orange

While looking for something else entirely (ain't it always the way?) I just found a forgotten AMT "Predecorated" '71 Duster 340. I'd always thought it was painted green, but now it looks like it might have actually been molded in something approximating Sassy Grass Green. Will have to take a better look at that thing soon...might have to put that near the top of the To-Build Pile....