Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will Moebius kit this classic American Icon ?

My uncle had one! Got it after his '67 or '68 Plymouth crapped out its sixth or seventh rear end in as many months. His was dark (solid) green with a 327 Chevy engine. I think they kept that thing 20 or 25 years and rolled the odometer at least once, maybe twice. Never seen a car (not a limo) with as much rear seat legroom!

Interesting subject but doubt it would sell very well. Growing up in Detroit, I rode in several of these when I was a kid. They were huge inside and rode rather well considering they were built heavy duty to last a long time. But that little jump seat sucked to set in.

Edited by w451973

I'm down for one if can be built as a Marathon, the none taxi version. Not a lot of difference between a Checker taxi model and a Checker Marathon. Slightly better trim, and taxi meter or roof light, are the main difference. And yes, I too think it would sell well. And it would be nice if Moebius did it.

Scott

P.S. Prefer the chrome bumper version, over the later battering ram bumper style.

Edited by unclescott58

I don't see Moebius doing the Checker because their MO is kitting cars that they can get multiple stock and race versions from. There are more than six variations of the Hudson for instance. Checker has no race history!

I had the R&R resin Checker, and there are a few diecast but the best one out there was the Danbury Mint (or was it Franklin?) one. Same situation as the Divco milk truck. Once I saw how well Danbury executed it, I knew I wasn't doing anywhere near it with the Ron Cash resin body, so I ditched that and got myself one of the diecast.

The Checker would be an interesting subject as they had hundreds of them in use in Chicago at one time. But how well they would sell is beyond me.

That's the $64 thousand dollar question that has to be answered with just about every proposed model car kit, and pretty much always has. Aside from the Checker Taxicab chain, some Yellow Cabs, perhaps smaller independent cab companies, along with a handful of TV/Movie prop Checkers, what else besides perhaps a privately owned passenger car (I remember a couple of eccentric University professors here who bought Checkers, based on their legendary "durability") what else can be built OOB from a Checker plastic model car kit?

Art

That's the $64 thousand dollar question that has to be answered with just about every proposed model car kit, and pretty much always has. Aside from the Checker Taxicab chain, some Yellow Cabs, perhaps smaller independent cab companies, along with a handful of TV/Movie prop Checkers, what else besides perhaps a privately owned passenger car (I remember a couple of eccentric University professors here who bought Checkers, based on their legendary "durability") what else can be built OOB from a Checker plastic model car kit?

Art

Art, I remember when I worked at Purdue there was a female professor that drove a checker. I was recently in your area. The RC Hobbies plus shop is a really nice store.

Edited by Greg Wann