Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Ford F-800 Mobiloil-Mobilgas Tanker

Hi,

While searching the web years ago for pictures for my Ford F-8 milk tanker http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78200
I happened to find some pictures of a fuel tanker of the mid-fifties with a recess on the passenger's side for transporting an additional drum. The protruding drum looked so odd that a corresponding model promised to become an interesting project.

I used the cab of the well-known Monogram/Revell F-100 pickup and the chassis of the AMT C-600 as a basis.
As far as I remember mainly this had to be done:

• Numerous modifications were necessary to adjust the modern C-600 chassis
  • The cab's roof above the windscreen had to be modified because OOB it looked much too high and too angular
  • The window parts were poor (I don't remember what the exact problem was) and had to be replaced
  • The cab fenders had to be widened and the wheel openings had to be adjusted.
  • Running boards and bumper were different from the pickup and had to be replaced by self-made parts
  • I refrained from using the six-hole rims of Italeri's Opel Blitz because they looked simplified and not really convincing; instead I made a more realistic set
  • Building the tank was rather time-consuming

comp_F80001200-vi.jpg
comp_F80002200-vi.jpg
comp_F80003200-vi.jpg
comp_F80004200-vi.jpg
comp_F80005200-vi.jpg
comp_F80006200-vi.jpg
comp_F80007200-vi.jpg

Edited by Plastheniker
Fotki links replace PB

Thanks for your comments so far!

Beautiful build! Great subject matter. The oil drum really does catch your eye. What brand / color red is that, if I may ask?

Nothing sophisticated about my paints: It is Humbrol #19 Bright Red on white primer (the cab was moulded in a very dark blue).

Very nice work.

Any idea what the deal with the drum is? That is a peculiar feature.

I suppose the drums contained special products as f. e. engine oils, hydraulic fluids or grease. Not a bad idea to transport them at the same time in this way - cyclists, however, probably didn't think so :)

Thanks for your further comments!

It is very likely that an advanced modeler begins to find building kits more or less OOB sooner or later unsatisfactory. Converting such inexpensive pickup kits into medium trucks is much more entertaining and develops modeling skills very quickly. Besides that it is a very good step towards building resin cabs neatly and probably finally towards scratch building.
Give it a try!