Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model King '59 Imperial.

Custom Hearse

Cant wait until this thing arrives, i am already thinking about the paint on it, any suggestions ? i am thinking red on red or black on black or turquoise and white... so many choices!

It's been issued twice by Model King, so I don't think that you'll be seeing it on the shelves for awhile.

Sorry for my dumb question, but would you happen to have any ideas how often Model King issues models like these or how he even decides what to issue?

Okay i never even knew this kit existed until today, while browsing ebay i thought what the heck and typed imperial and saw this as the first result, it was the only one on the website and i could barely find any info on this one, it was about 44$ so i bought it right away, its not here yet but will post pictures of whats inside once it gets here, has anyone ever built this kit? When i google model king i can never find anything about them online whatsoever, wish more kits of this type would exist because Imperials are just so cool, only one i ever saw in real life was as a child in Finland.

attachicon.gif$(KGrHqFHJE4FDcFqIJ04BReGmiQdqQ~~60_57.JPG

It's a nice kit ... a curbside so not a lot of parts. Here's one I built up as a mild custom right after the first MK reissue:

100_2767-vi.jpg

Kit arrived today so here are some pictures of whats inside, the car is very long and has a decent set of Firestone tires and decals as well as hardtop/convertible options, these are the decals i got with mine.

post-10452-0-73071700-1368735691_thumb.jpost-10452-0-82670900-1368735703_thumb.jpost-10452-0-08734100-1368735735_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool ride; always dug this body style, and am working on one of these models myself. If you do a Google image search on the web, you'll see an old ad that shows a red on red convertible. GORGEOUS!!!!!

Chrysler took alot of flac for some of their styling decisions, but I believe this one is a grand-slam. Compare this body to the same year Cadillac, with its tons of heavy chrome and 'Baroque' styling, and the Imperial comes across very lean and elegant. Fun model! I want more pics!

I'm glad it's been repopped. I bought one of the older issue intending to build it factory stock but as we speak it's been sliced every which way and covered in putty so I better buy another one if I'm gonna have that stocker! :lol:

This is what became of that first '59 Imp that I was talking about:

IMGP4992.jpg

I did get another one to build a stocker but haven't built it yet.

i really really want the 1969-1973 imperial model, i find that car to be the most amazing designed luxury car ever...

I love that old 'fuselage' styling too. There is a '70 300 hardtop available in resin.

mike

• 5 years later...

Glad to see that one make it back! Now watch those crazy high prices on eBay come tumbling down!

Save for the engine, I can see a lot of the mechanical bits from AMT's '57 Chrysler 300 being used for it for those that want more detail. B)

image.png.ed1b7810b3bf86940f4d2c419fc592b5.png

No offense to whomever made this box art, but I never really cared for this. I happen to have one though.

image.png.d4b381884e2ff81efd124bd7dbef03f8.png

This is MUCH better!

15 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Now watch those crazy high prices on eBay come tumbling down!

Sold items on eBay show they aren't selling for much more than a reissue probably will, and even the last handful of original, unbuilt kits went for much less than I expected. Small sample size? Maybe, but it seems there are still plenty available for the few who want to buy one.

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I built one several years ago, & if it weren't for the fact that I have far too many other projects to build, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at another one.

Although, I would much rather spend my effort & money to try to find a good '58 or '61 Imperial.

Working on a '60 right now.

Steve

2v23Ekw3GxwUbWP.jpg

WOW! That Mopar is drop-dead-gorgeous!

On 6/12/2013 at 9:48 AM, mr moto said:

This is what became of that first '59 Imp that I was talking about:

IMGP4992.jpg

I did get another one to build a stocker but haven't built it yet.

Beautiful! ? 

Since I built a stock convertible when it was out the last time, it is maybe time to pickup another one and build a stock hardtop companion. I love these old reissues.