Model Cars Magazine Forum

I am first and foremost a car guy. But I do like other things too, and pretty much anything with an engine in it will grab my attention. I must confess to be drawn to aircraft for some reason, but I do have a somewhat complicated relationship to them. First off - I am not one of those who think war is cool, so military planes are out (regardless of what technological wonders they might be - its for the wrong reason). Then, I find airliners about as exiting as the city bus, so those are out too. On the other hand, sports planes, bush planes and the like are worthy candidates to me. I could make the stretch to air taxi and small regional airliners but I draw the line by the size of a Twin Otter. I stick to 1/72 scale for reasons of convenience (inconvenience). The boxes are small so they don't take up too much room, and the selection is limited so the collecting bug doesn't get out of hand. And, I build them for therapy. I have found that I have a hard time letting go of my aspirations when building car models, and I get frustrated when things turn out less than satisfactory. Not so with my planes. They only need to provide recreational enjoyment and look good enough to hang from the ceiling of my basement hobbyroom.

I felt it was time to build a plane again, so I pulled this one from the pile. I chose this one for the reason that the box is big, and by building the model I would get the box out of the way and free up space in the shelving. Sound reasoning - right?

So here we are, my Siebel 202 in good progress. It is a German plane from the WWII era, and the story is: As war was breaking out, the German government notified a number of the smaller aircraft manufacturers that they would not get any development contracts for the military, and that they might want to concentrate their efforts on small civilian aircraft. This is one resulting machine. As I understand the plane was made out of wood. Fuselage covered in plywood, and rubber and elevator covered in fabric.

DSCF1234_zpsc1d32c66.jpg

The decal sheet and box art both have swastikas, but don't worry. They will not be used. This will become a fictional privately operated plane in "harmless" colors. AML failed to provide a pilot in the kit, so I found a 1/87 railroad scenery figure to do the job. Now after the fact I find that I happened to paint him to resemble Austin Powers, but thats OK. I'm sure he'll do a fine job of it.

There will be more to come.. eventually.

I think this thing had an Argus V-8 engine in it. emotion-21.gif

I do not know a lot about this airplane, but according to Wikipedia it was powered by an inverted inline-four engine made by Zundapp. The "inverted" part of the engine is that the crankshaft is on top, cylinder head at the bottom, and the valve rocker cover acting as the oil tank :blink: Aircraft technology can get unorthodox sometimes..

Good guess on the Argus though, as it powered many similarly sized German planes of the same era.

I do not know a lot about this airplane, but according to Wikipedia it was powered by an inverted inline-four engine made by Zundapp. The "inverted" part of the engine is that the crankshaft is on top, cylinder head at the bottom, and the valve rocker cover acting as the oil tank :blink: Aircraft technology can get unorthodox sometimes..

Good guess on the Argus though, as it powered many similarly sized German planes of the same era.

Amen on the unorthodox! Almost all of the German engines were inverted. I don't get it either! lol

A little bit of progress. I'm slow, I know..

DSCF1238_zps7298180c.jpg

I got the white painted today. The bottom half of the fuselage will be blue (when the time comes).

AML provided an extra canopy / transparency part in case I messed up one, and it came in handy. Not that I really needed it for having messed up the first one, but it was very helpful to have a loose one for cutting window masks. :)

Coming along fine. No aftermarket pre-cut masks for this puppy! I'm going to have to mask the windscreen on the Corsair I'm building from scratch and thank God it only has two sections of frame to do and not 2000 like a Stuka or Dauntless!!! lol

Thanks!

Actually, I believe there are window masks to be had for this one, but I don't really care. I can do the job myself, and besides - my airplane models are built in a very relaxed and recreational spirit. I even passed on the supplied photoetch for the cockpit.

I hear you on the masking of your Corsair. I do have a Storch sitting around waiting for me, and masking up that greenhouse will be a .. task!

Very interesting and cool! I'd never heard of this airplane before. It reminds me a little of a Mooney. Keep us posted on your progress! B)

Thank you, you know - this plane was only built in limited numbers, was not much of a dogfighter and was built on old technology (even for the time). So there is not really a surprise that it gets lost in the shuffle between it's more famous contemporaries. To be honest, I didn't know about it either until I saw the kit on the shelf at the hobby store. It might not be for everybody, but it is an aircraft just like I like them.

• 4 weeks later...

Almost there!

The second color for the fuselage is finally on. The same is the case with landing gear. So the only thing left is to cut out a disc from a sheet of clear plastic for a spinning propeller, and apply the decals. Right, I am going to the hassle of fabricating parts for this build. You know, if it is going to hang from my ceiling and look like it is flying, it will not look right with a dead stick across it's nose Hopefully I will soon be able to show you a finished model.

DSCF1255_zps184930f5.jpg

Edited by lysleder

Here we are;

DSCF1258_zps4c396486.jpg

I think I'm going to call it finished now. I'll skip the wash, as it would only accentuate the rough spots still shoving. It actually still has sanding scratches and stuff that wasn't dealt with before painting. One could always argue that it is not prototypically correct for this craft to be shiny as if it was made out of painted metal, but I'm not going to worry about that for an airplane build. Trivialities like that is for my car models.

Anyhow I seem to like my planes in gloss paint..

DSCF1259_zps0e92fc62.jpg