Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nightmare Kits CBP - aka Masochistic Modelers Anonymous

Jantrix

Here's an addendum to my entry, to show you what I'll be starting with. The funny thing is that, other than the body style, the wheels are the only thing in this kit that I like and I'm already planning on replacing them :lol: . Well, at least they'll make a nice addition to the parts box.

Cheron_1_zpsbcd967ea.jpg

Cheron_2_zps961c50b3.jpg

Cheron_3_zps900a64c4.jpg

The slicks are from a 1:24 '70 Chevelle kit that I just picked up for cheap at the winter sidewalk sale at my LHS. I plan on using the 454 from this kit as well.

(I hope that commencing the "gathering phase" doesn't violate the 1 Jan. start date rule :huh: )

OOPS, I didn't read the post above: I guess I'm safe then :P .

Edited by Shardik

Johann, just an idea for your '39. I'm building one now and just noticed that the Revell 1/24 '37 Ford kit has BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH near the same wheelbase as the '39 Chevy. The '37 chassis fits nicely, has good wheels/tires, and a decent interior. The '37 also comes with a chevy small block. It would be a no-brainer to kitbash the two.

I realize most of use have today off as well as tomorrow, and there is no sense wasting a perfectly good day off.

So LET'S GET STARTED!

I wish I had today off, Had to get up early and go to work only for the boss to decide to close early. Did get a lot done this afternoon, and I do have tomorrow off, Progress pictures later.

Nick

Since we are heading to the evening of January 1st, here's my progress with the MPC '86 Camino:

I scratchbuilt a throttle linkage. Carburetor is from parts box, and for the linkage I used sheet aluminium and some metal wire. Also started the bodywork, and holy cow there's a lot of it! There's flash everywhere. Once I got it cleaned up a bit, I decided to glue that Monte Carlo nose on. It didn't fit nicely either, see the last pic and there's the gap what needs to be filled. A lot of sanding still to do before first coat of primer or filler spray.

If you look at this picture closely, you can see that the Water Pump is floating. :rolleyes: I must do something for it.

DSCN01861.jpg

DSCN01821.jpg

DSCN01831.jpg

DSCN01841.jpg

Got a front bumper and front pan on order from modelhaus, I actually like the custom rear bumper and lights better than the stock ones, car came up Super good after a swim in the purple pond, also dug out some parts to replace missing pieces, a Builtup Torino Interior and Chassis I had donated a front suspension and a steering column and wheel.

GEDC4131.jpg

GEDC4132.jpg

GEDC4133.jpg

GEDC4134.jpg

GEDC4135.jpg

GEDC4136.jpg

Nick

Not much to report. As previously stated, the doors are off and now the trunk has followed suit. And as you can see, I've decided to french the license plate. I also filled in the mounting points for the tail lights, as these will be frenched into the fenders.

Cheron_8_zpsba0ee0fc.jpg

I dealt with one of the kit issues which is a particular pet peeve of mine; molded in windshield wipers. Still some work to do here :unsure: .

Cheron_9_zps4719c8fe.jpg

Next up will be the chassis. Since it was going to have to be modified anyway, I've decided to attempt to build one from scratch. Wish me luck; this will be a first for me.

Edited by Shardik

Rob,

Yes, and thank you. However, I now have a pretty clear vision of where I want to go with this one: an '80's style street racer with tubbed four link rear end and IFS up front. Mainly for the challenge of doing something new.

Keep the suggestions coming though; I admire your skill and value your input.

By the way, are you planning on using the '37 chassis and interior on yours? If so, I'd be interested to see how it works out for you.

No I'm not. I may have if I'd thought of it earlier, but I'm building mine as a gasser. So the bare interior and the kit chassis are perfect. Incidentally the '37 chassis comes with IFS and a Vette rear end. So it might be good for parts if nothing else.

Now regarding my GTO. Man the wheels are turning. I have a plan, an artist rendering and the guts to cut. As soon as I receive permission from said artist I will post up the inspiration for my build. It will involve being chopped, sectioned and narrowed. If Ed Roth and George Barris had gotten drunk together, this might have been the result. Pics soon!

I may join in on this one later. The '72 Torino is just going to be a curbside build. Too much work for me to come up with a detailed and correct chassis for it. I still may attempt it someday. But, I'm just not up for a build like that right now.

Derick, I have added you to the list with the rest of us masochists.

Okay now that I have permission from the artist I present you with the inspiration and the design for my GTO. Gary Campesi's "Split Personality".

gto-split-personality_zps51ff344f.jpg

I will be building the '67 based on this artwork. It will not be a replica or 3D version, but it will certainly be close. I'd like to thank Gary for permission to post his work and his blessing on my build. If you would like to see more from this excellent artist please peruse the following website.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/GaryC/vehicles

Bodywork time. I filled the gap between the Choo Choo Customs Monte Carlo-style nose and rest of the body with styrene and putty. Also I decided to remove the holes what are next to the windshield wipers. They are meant for the tabs what are located underside the hood. I removed them from the hood, so I filled the holes with styrene. After some putty, I decided to primer the body.......

DSCN0213.jpg

DSCN0214.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0225.jpg

...After primer, it looks like there's some sanding still needed, but not too much. Since the nose is not molded to body in real car, I mean that there are seams between it and the body, I will just sand a little those puttys, and then I will shoot another coat of primer and paint.

And then I moved on to the engine. Here you can see two Nightmare parts, the kit offers.

1. Fan Belt.

It's way too thick, and the alternator belt pulley looks really small. I cut those two pulleys seperate, I will find one for the alternator and make the belt myself.

DSCN0196.jpg

2. Alternator.

Well, what can I say?! Look At It!!! Looks like carburetor to me. :lol: Needless to say, I'm not gonna use it.

DSCN0198.jpg

And then I modified the Water Pump to fit well with that engine, it's not floating model anymore. :D

DSCN0221.jpg

DSCN0229.jpg