Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Dear Chris,

Sir.....

In my many years following this hobby, I have never seen anyone take this such care and pay attention to detail such as you have done with this specimen. I am simply in awe of your talent. I started looking through this tread from start to finish this morning and only finished this afternoon. I feel like I read a great novel such as War and Peace. I'm at a lack of words and still have been finding myself from time to time ,wiping the drool from my chin. If there is any award that can convey this simply the best scratch model ever built throughout time....Then you sir deserve it. Incredible word sir. I am looking so forward to the final product. Wish you all the best and thank you for the inspiration....Wow!!!!!!! Cheers!

Dear Chris,

Sir.....

In my many years following this hobby, I have never seen anyone take this such care and pay attention to detail such as you have done with this specimen. I am simply in awe of your talent. I started looking through this tread from start to finish this morning and only finished this afternoon. I feel like I read a great novel such as War and Peace. I'm at a lack of words and still have been finding myself from time to time ,wiping the drool from my chin. If there is any award that can convey this simply the best scratch model ever built throughout time....Then you sir deserve it. Incredible word sir. I am looking so forward to the final product. Wish you all the best and thank you for the inspiration....Wow!!!!!!! Cheers!

X2........and more!!!!! :)

Chris;

There certainly isn't a driveline angle issue anymore!!...Now the centerline pretty much looks straight and true from the crank thru the tranny to the rear end....

Nice fix man!!....That clamp is scale artwork....Love watching your progress and the way you conquer problems, very inspiring....Onward and upward!!

Here is the drive shaft and couplings in again but with the engine in, This time the Angle doesn't look as bad as it was before but I have

I had to mock it up in the chassis real quick to see what it would look like:

DP-Army-Vega3406-1_zpsf9556abd.jpg

Oh Baby

that is some good stuff !

Danno.... Thanks buddy. you are probably right no one will notice the drive shaft angle except me.... :lol:

Mike... Thanks Bud. It was great to chat for a bit today.

John... Thanks Brother!

Tyrone... Thanks Bud!

Lee... Thank you. I am much happier with the angle now. although I am doing one more fix which should make it pretty much straight... :)

Alyn... Thank you!

David... Thanks and I am trying to make it better. It will be much better when I have a rolling chassis. ;) I need to get some Alclad Chrome on my front axle and I can make it a roller.

Dave... Thanks bud. I am hoping so too. I know when I got paint on the chassis it made me realize all of the hard work paid off because I was really happy with how it turned out.

So I worked a little more on this tonight and got a couple things done but not everything I wanted to. I worked more on the drive shaft guard and started on redoing the pinion location on the rear end.

Here is the Guard that will be going over the drive shaft. I started by making two flanges. Once which is attached to the guard and the other that will get attached to the rear end. I drilled 4 mounting holes in both that the scale hardware will go thru to mount them. I still need to work on the flange that I was going to add to the transmission side:

DP-Army-Vega3410-1_zps860104d0.jpg

Here is an up close shot of the flanges bolted together:

DP-Army-Vega3412-1_zpscb6aeffa.jpg

Now here is what the flanges will look like up against the rear end:

DP-Army-Vega3415-1_zps341eb71a.jpg

Then I decided to fill the hole I originally drilled for the couplers because I will re drill the hole just a tad bit lower to help with the drive shaft angle and I will be good to go:

DP-Army-Vega3413-1_zpsf5da3722.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris.....Amazing.....I dont think they make a real word to properly describe this build.....not even in the urban dictionary! AND its not even done yet.....Not only does build of the year come up but maybe even decade!

Keep up the crazy details on this and we will see real flames from the zoomies and the next DSC!

So I worked a little more on this tonight and got a couple things done but not everything I wanted to. I worked more on the drive shaft guard and started on redoing the pinion location on the rear end.

Here is the Guard that will be going over the drive shaft. I started by making two flanges. Once which is attached to the guard and the other that will get attached to the rear end. I drilled 4 mounting holes in both that the scale hardware will go thru to mount them. I still need to work on the flange that I was going to add to the transmission side:

DP-Army-Vega3410-1_zps860104d0.jpg

Here is an up close shot of the flanges bolted together:

DP-Army-Vega3412-1_zpscb6aeffa.jpg

Now here is what the flanges will look like up against the rear end:

DP-Army-Vega3415-1_zps341eb71a.jpg

Then I decided to fill the hole I originally drilled for the couplers because I will re drill the hole just a tad bit lower to help with the drive shaft angle and I will be good to go:

DP-Army-Vega3413-1_zpsf5da3722.jpg

Chris,

This is coming along nicely. However if you look at the pictures of cover plates in the rear the holes are not drilled through straight where the bolts come through. You've done a great job so far and I would hate to see this slip by.

Keep up the good work.

bobthehobbyguy

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, .......................................oh, and did I say wow?

Wayne.... Thanks Bud.... Umm not sure but you may of said wow ;)

Ok Fellas.... little bit of an early evening update. I have made more progress on this darn drive shaft cover. I was able to lower the pinion location on the rear end a little more and I got the flange side made for the transmissions end for the cover.

I first went back and drilled the hole for the coupling just a tad but lower every 1/32 to 1/16 helps :lol: :

DP-Army-Vega3417-1_zpsee34d0d4.jpg

After Bob mentioned to me that I had a bolt that wasn't straight :wacko: because I some how didn't see that last night :( .... I went back and redrilled all of the mounting holes and then filled the old ones with some plastic rod:

DP-Army-Vega3427-1_zps5bfd3886.jpg

I then figured out how I was going to create the flange on the transmission side that the Drive shaft would attach to as well as the V-Band Clamp:

DP-Army-Vega3429-1_zpsebd13dbc.jpg

DP-Army-Vega3428-1_zpsa8c86163.jpg

Then you know me I had to test fit and mock everything up:

DP-Army-Vega3423-1_zpsb31dbead.jpg

Now I can shoot some primer on these parts so I can add some paint to them tomorrow and then time to figure out what to work on next. So stay tuned till next time ;)B). If I am lucky I will have some more to post later but no promises.... :lol:

Joe... Thanks buddy. I won't lie... I looked at your '57 Pro Mod build first cause I remember you made some and then I also used some pics off a website that we used to get V-Band clamps from when I worked at an aerospace company. I can't wait for you to start another 1/16th scale build. Have you figured out what you are gonna do??

Well Fellas... I broke out the air brush this morning and painted a few parts so I can finish up this rear end and get it permanently mounted to the chassis. I painted the couplings, drive saft and Drive shaft. I am happy with the results I got today. here are a couple pics of the work...

Here is the mounting plate that will be glued to the rear end. I sprayed it HOK BC02 orion silver base. The drive shaft cover was a custom mixed HOK color, I started out with mixing BC02 orion Silver base and reducing enough in my 1/4 oz spray cup and added 10 drops of HOK black base to tint the silver and make it a darker shade so it would look like steel:

DP-Army-Vega3432-1_zps56468910.jpg

I then painted the drive shaft and Couplings. The drive shaft is the same custom mixed HOK color and the couplings were painted with Tamiya's X-32 Titanium silver:

DP-Army-Vega3440-1_zps6274bbff.jpg