Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Evenings have been spent restoring and modifying the Cormaro body. I've fitted a parts box firewall and filled the cowl gap that formerly exposed the blower of the Camaro funny car engine and restored the lower windshield trim.

BodyPrepFront_zps069859be.jpg

The front clip has been quite time consuming. Getting into such tight little areas with the thinnest edge of sandpaper tests my threshold of patience. Still the results, when painted, may be marginal. Includes filling & smoothing the engine blower hole and blending the gaudy extensions I've added to the front, while trying to preserve the molded in detail like bumpers and turn signals.

BodyPrepFrontClip_zps60bada6f.jpg

The rear end includes holes for custom taillights and restoration from glue damage, damage from disassembly and warps.

BodyPrepRear_zps939bfc46.jpg

i'm liking this build way much :D

Nice work everyone! This year is going to be even better than last year was I believe. I'm trying to hang up with you guys, but my quality is not as good as yours.

Anyway I got the Roll Cage pretty much together. It needs a few more tubes, and then I can paint it. And I must cut a little material from the Dashboard to make the cage fit, as some of the 1:1 cars.

DSCN2136.jpg

DSCN2137.jpg

Hi everyone, apologies for not being around much lately but back in building mode now :rolleyes:

I have been monitoring the thread and some great builds going on here. Here is how my '65 Mustang stands at present - paint is the new Tamiya Metallic Orange (over white primer). The engine is the 351 Saleen from the 1998 convertible kit. Ride height a little higher than I prefer, but this is a cross country race on public roads!

003-22_zpsfab597c4.jpg

005-21_zps911576ed.jpg

Hi fellas!

It's been long time since I have done anything to my Camino but now I have some updates. Engine changed again and this is the final version what is coming under the Caminos hood. Engine is Chevy big block and it's from my parts box. Fuel injection is from Revell '86 Chevy Monte Carlo. Also did some chassis work and I made "spacers" for those rims. Now most of engine parts are painted but I don't have pics of them yet.

I made mock up to engine before I painted it. Now most of engine parts are painted and i hope that I have update tomorrow.

IMG_2134_zpsa1a7a7e2.jpg

Rear axle.

Kuvia711_zps291b5c65.jpg

Front axle.

Kuvia709_zps25af9213.jpg

Well I was on a building spree lately and was able to complete my build!

Specs:

-Chevy 350 V8 with 4-bbl carb making around 300hp

-Stock 4-speed manual

-Uprated sway bars and shocks

-Extra 15 gallon fuel tank in place of rear storage space

-Nismo 17 wheels and high-performance tires

-Custom paint job of Ford Merlot Red metallic and gold accents

SDC11874.jpg

SDC11875.jpg

SDC11876.jpg

SDC11881.jpg

Just about finished this, only need to add the upper radiator hose.

I'm quite happy with the result, started with the Revell '65 fastback, added the engine from the '98 Saleen convertible, wheels/tyres from a Fujimi RX8 Mazda and a few bits of Mustang Model Car Garage photoetch including grill, fuel cap and glovebox motif. Extra fuel cell and battery box are from the AMT '32 Phantom Vicky. Front half of exhaust is Saleen, rear section from base kit.

Paint is Tamiya Metallic Orange with flat black hood (we are heading west after all, need to keep reflections to a minimum <_<).

I know it's a long way to the finish line, but at least I'm underway B).

001-19_zps694bfdab.jpg

002-20_zps867cc37c.jpg

007-13_zpsfc83fe5b.jpg

010-11_zpsb1c82307.jpg

nice job on your mustang paul look sweet.I haven't gotten a lot done on my ford.I got the wheels fitted and figured out the engine but it's not painted yet.any questions let me know. thanks.

Thanks August, your Ford has a great stance - where are the wheels from?