Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wal-mart has models again...

I went to my local wallys this morning and noticed the have a selection of models and a few paints. They had both revell enzos( the snap and the skill 3), audi R8, 68 charger,new gt500, zr1, and a few more. They only had one AMT model, the DOH charger.The prices weren't too bad, the snap enzo was 14.95 and i checked another and it was 19.95. Hopefully they will get more, and it will be like it used to be.

I haven't been inside a Wal Mart in a couple of years, but I used to buy the 1950 Chevy Pick Up there (Street Machine) for as little as 6.99. I hope they grow a selection. Even going to Michaels is a little frustrating because they have such few models.

I'm not thrilled but it does give me a reason to go to Wally world. Currently my options are Michaels, which is limited, a failing hobby shop and an RC shop. The only option is half an hour away. I hope this is the start of a trend but I doubt it.

I thought this was going to happen. I always enter my local Walmart through the garden center and go by the toys. I went by the other day and noticed everything was rearranged very similar to the way it was in the 90s. It "felt" like the time I purchased models there. I will definitely be checking it out this weekend.

BTW, as I said a few months ago, Walmart, KMart, and Meyer have had them on sale on line for quite some time now.

Edited by Skydime

The Kmart near me had some, too. Nothing memorable, a few snap kits.

The K-mart around me has had the same models for the past 2 or 3 years,Nothing thrilling.But if Wal-mart get some of the new AMT stuff for cheap prices I will be interested. Edited by Austin T

I'm not thrilled but it does give me a reason to go to Wally world. Currently my options are Michaels, which is limited, a failing hobby shop and an RC shop. The only option is half an hour away.

You have another option. The internet has dozens and dozens of places that sell models, the selection is far better than even the most well-stocked hobby shop could ever possibly have, they never close, and they deliver to your door.

Why would anyone limit themselves to whatever the local shops decide to carry?

man i remember buying model paint and rockets from walmart when i was like 7, i might get lucky and both the ones near me will carry models and paint again. that will give me a good five or six places to buy stuff. i consider myself very lucky to have a hobby lobby, and a hobby town both within 20 minutes of my house then a mom and pop store about 30.

some like to shop in the flesh, so they can touch and feel and be sure its what they want. I certainly cant blame him, i do a lot of thinking before i buy unless i for sure kno what will be in the box.

I wonder if they'll have any walmart special releases of kits. like they did with those AMT kits b4? (with the bad box art lol)

You have another option. The internet has dozens and dozens of places that sell models, the selection is far better than even the most well-stocked hobby shop could ever possibly have, they never close, and they deliver to your door.

Why would anyone limit themselves to whatever the local shops decide to carry?

Because people want to support there LHS, which there is nothing wrong with that. If Wally world does carry them again, I am sure the price's will cheaper then the LHS anyways.

I dont understand it either