Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wal-mart has models again...

Unfortunately the walmarts here are not on board:( my lhs if you have more than 20 bones to spend on one kit its the place for you they never mark anything down its no wonder all the model boxes are so dusty! Lol. My hoBby lobbys treat me pretty good tho when they mark down the. Model car/truck kits!!

You have another option. The internet has dozens and dozens of places that sell models, the selection is far better than even the most well-stocked hobby shop could ever possibly have, they never close, and they deliver to your door.

Why would anyone limit themselves to whatever the local shops decide to carry?

Like Walmart.com

The store where you shop lets you open the box and "touch and feel?"

If one needs a particular type of brush or other supply then yes. I dont envision any opening of boxes for a full kit but in person you have a greater sense of what you're getting yourself into if u have no other frame of referrence.

The store where you shop lets you open the box and "touch and feel?"

Harry, it's Walmart for goodness sakes. The store that will take back anything. :lol: JK Harry. I just had to go there with their reputation and everything.

I see what he is saying with being able to hold the box. It is nice to see what it really looks like in person and getting a feel for the content by the weight and fill of the box. And you don't have to worry about the shipper destroying your kit in transit. But I also see the point of being able to order anything online at any time as well.

Either way, I like the nostalgia factor of going to get a kit at Walmart.

Edited by Skydime

Say what you will about Wal-Mart, but it would be good for this hobby if all their stores start carrying kits again. I live in the middle of one of the largest metro areas in the country and it is way too hard to find a kit in a store. In Kenosha (city of about 100,000 between Chicago and Milwaukee) there are two places, an old-school hobby shop where the owner is retiring and selling down his stock and Hobby Lobby. I'm sure that's a better situation than many other places in this country.

I know where to find any kit I want online, but you need kits (and Testors paint) in stores for kids and casual builders to see. Yeah, some might buy the occasional kit online, but being able to "window" shop and compare in a Wal-Mart is much better.

I window shop online, and with alot of the kits I buy (from Japanese Companys), I use hobby search to see whats in the box, look at the instruction sheet, see what colors are needed, look at the decal sheet, tell me, can you do that in a hobby store?, or in wally world?, no, unless you plan on buying the kit after you open it :lol:

Is it nice to be able to hold the kit box in your hand and look longingly at it while thinking about what you want to do with it ?, you betcha!, is nice to be able to have the kit the same day you bought?, you betcha!.

Is it nice to be able to shop for model kits at one in the morning, butt naked?, you betcha lol, is nice to at times spend less on the kit buying it online, even with shipping?, again, you betcha, is nice to save money on gas, and wear and tear on the car from driving to the LHS to get a kit, you betcha,

Both ways in the end feed our addiction for plastic, I like online, it saves me money, therefore, letting me get even more plastic for my money to feed to my plastic addiction

You have another option. The internet has dozens and dozens of places that sell models, the selection is far better than even the most well-stocked hobby shop could ever possibly have, they never close, and they deliver to your door.

Why would anyone limit themselves to whatever the local shops decide to carry?

Harry, I agree with you here as I just ordered the new GMC pickup last Tuesday (7/31) from Tower Hobbies in Champaign IL and by last Friday (8/3) at noon, there was a box with 3 of those kits on my doorstep here in Charlotte NC! Less than $19.00 per kit, no sales tax, and free shipping to boot! I was in the local Hobbytown USA last Monday (7/30) and the son of the owner didn't know if or when the kit was going to be in, so much for supporting the LHS!

Wal-Mart having models doesn't do much for me unless they are marked down to $5.00 because they probably will only have a small selection and I would be looking for parts vehicles.

Harry, I agree with you here as I just ordered the new GMC pickup last Tuesday (7/31) from Tower Hobbies in Champaign IL and by last Friday (8/3) at noon, there was a box with 3 of those kits on my doorstep here in Charlotte NC! Less than $19.00 per kit, no sales tax, and free shipping to boot! I was in the local Hobbytown USA last Monday (7/30) and the son of the owner didn't know if or when the kit was going to be in, so much for supporting the LHS!

I really like ordering kits from tower hobbies, and getting free shipping, well thats the only time I will lol , and the service is great , and the shipping is fast

I live a state away from one of there warehouse's , so I think that could be another reason why it I get my orders fast

Edited by martinfan5

I shop at walmart frequently for stuff like catfood, cleaning supplies, etc, since they are open 24 hours. I work nights, and on nights off by the time I get ready to go any where, it is the only place open.

Around christmas time this past year they had the Revell cardboard standup display with kits like the 56 chevy street machine, Malibu Street rat, etc. The prices were nothing too spectacualr so I did not get any. I usually take a quick run down the toy aisle in the off chance they put models up again, and look at GI Joes, Transformers, hotwheels and did not notice models last week. i will keep checking. The few kits I buy these days are from Tower, HobbyLinc or model roundup, there are two good hobby stores not too far away but I am rarely awake when they are open. It would be nice to see kits at walmart again to introduce people to the hobby, or to spark a return to hobby of dormant modelers. How many times have you heard the story of someone rediscovering the hobby from seeing kits in a place they did not expect?

I still long for the days of the old Toys R us model section... a whole long aisle of an awesome selection. Large airplane kits, big rigs and lots of cars. those were the days!

That's insane !!

Yes and no, this is the reason why, I live right right on the broader of another city, both are small citys here in the metro Phoenix area, I live in El Mirage, across the street is Surprise, so my city has a walmart, and the city of Surprise has two walmarts, just so happens that they are located with in miles of each other, hope that makes sense

I'm all for it. For a kid with parents that aren't into hobbies; this in some cases may the only way they're ever going to see a model kit. I think Wally World is so mainsteam that a bigger number of kids will be exposed to models, and hopefully think it's cool and give it a try. I'm NOT a Wal Mart fan at all either. But I feel like if them carrying kits and products makes them more readily available to some, then that can't be a bad thing for this hobby.

Corey

The walmart here gave it a go a few years back, just before I got back into them. I remember they had a bunch of the hok knock off paints and stenciles. Long story short, after a few months of empty packages on the shelf snd in the restrooms,they quit stocking any of it and never looked back

I still feel the Big Box store did the best thing for the hobby by bailing on us several years ago. They had too much sway on what kits were to be issued, and reissued. Now, instead of listening to the high demands for the WalMart staff, the hobby grows because of what the adult hobbyist wants.

Of course I will still look what WalFart is stocking, but I am more likely to come home with a Maisto Ford Interceptor Police that is made from plastic unobtainium.

I've got to check walmart here. The last time they had kits there wasn't much of a selection. I'd like to support my local hobby shop but it's an hour ride away (hobby town). I go there for paint and building supplies about 2-3 times a year. The prices on their kits are full list and I've seen a few marked above list. I only buy kits there if it's something I just got to have at that moment. I have a hobby lobby 5 miles from my house. I'll buy there with a 40% off coupon. Bought the AMT Gremlin there yesterday. There were a few local shops (small), but they closed up. Didn't hurt me, they catered to r/c just like most brick and mortar stores do nowadays. I spend most of my money buying at the shows. Ken

When walmart had kits here there was no selection. l still don't think there ever would be at walmart unless they go all out. there are no kits at our local walmart. the hobby lobby where l get kits has a good selection and l get the rest at model roundup....

When walmart had kits here there was no selection. l still don't think there ever would be at walmart unless they go all out. there are no kits at our local walmart. the hobby lobby where l get kits has a good selection and l get the rest at model roundup....

By sheer quantity ALONE, WalMart sells more of those 'commons' than all other kits.

Is it nice to be able to shop for model kits at one in the morning, butt naked?

:o OMG! :o

1) There's an image I'll never be able to un-see .... Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggh!!!! :wacko:

2) Wait ... didn't I see something about that on the news ... in the middle of an intersection in downtown Phoenix a few weeks ago? WAS THAT YOU???

3) Hanging out with Randy Travis, now, are you? :lol:

B)