Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi Gang.

I just got an old range hood I am planning on using for my paint booth to vacuum out paint fumes. The motor that runs the fan has three wires, White, Black and Red. My wife tells me this was a two speed fan. Here's my question. I think Black is ground and the white and red are hot....Right?? If I hook this thing up I would connect black to ground and tie the red and white together to get the fan to run on high...right???? Been a while since I have messed with stuff like this.

Thanks

Bob

Thanks for the replies.

Here's what I found out by experimenting. First the range hood is a GE. and it's probably about 25 years old. When I hooked up the white and black wires to a regular power cord the fan ran on hi, if I touched the red wire to the white wire is switched to low. so I have the thing set to run on high to get the most air movement. The hood is one of those that has the vent in the front, so I will either build a plenum on the front or seal that up and cut a hole in the top and run a dryer duct hose from there to the boarded up window. I tested it out last night, and it seems to fit the bill just fine.

Bob

I have done this very same thing. I am an appliance repairman by day and modeler by night. I mounted it in the back and vented it with dryer vent out spare bedroom window .but heres another trick. i took an old microwave and used the turntable and motor and hooked it up too. talk about a handy device. i also got 2 small flourescent lights and put on the lid. i have pictures if i can figure out how to get them on here. right now i have time because i just had shoulder surgery and its even hard to type. i wired mine one speed and put separate switches on all different items.the next time i junk out another microwave/venthood im going to use the exhaust fan out of it. its a little bit stronger and at times when spraying fingernail polish i need more. any questions just ask.