Model Cars Magazine Forum

Phone cord plug wires

So I have a ton of old useless phone cord and I've read on here some of you use it for plug wires. A couple of questions. I know you strip the outer casing and have four smaller wires. I'm guessing you strip the wires from inside the smaller wire? If you do have you found a use for those thin copper wires? how do you attach wires to the cap (super glue?) Once again thank you for your help

I leave the wire inside so the wires can be bent to the shape I want and stay put. As far as glue I use white glue but it's just a personal choice. A small pilot hole with a pin vise will give you a place to insert the metal wire. Sometimes this will work and sometimes I've seen one hole in the center of the distributor and all wires bundled together.

Un-stripped phone wires are way too big for 1/25-24 ignition wires. They can be used for fuel, oil hard lines, and ignition wires in larger scales. Sometimes the insulation can be used for boots slipped over properly sized ignition wires.

If you want wire that can be properly draped, try lead wire from a fly fishing store, or Cabellas. It only comes in grey, but can be painted.

post-5771-0-67948900-1361552430_thumb.jp

Another way to make copper wire to "drape" realistically, is to anneal the wire before using it. To anneal copper wire, all that is needed is a flame, preferably a blue flame, such as a gas kitchen stove burner. Simply turn the burner on, then, holding the wire at one end with a pair of pliers, slowly run the wire through the flame--the wire will glow red hot, and the flame surrounding it will be red as well. That's it, all it takes--when cooled down to room temp, the copper will be almost as limp as wet spaghetti. If there are any kinks in the wire, simply pulling it taut with your fingers, then drawing it across the edge of your workbench will take all the little kinks out of it, leaving a smooth, if slightly curled piece of soft copper wire. You can still bend it, and it will stay exactly as bent or draped.

Art