Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vector art

Qwit Pushin

Nice!

I do all my drawing/painting in Photoshop... I once had to do a cutaway of an 18 wheeler for a trade show display in Illustrator because the client wanted vector art. Man, that was tough! I'm so used to Photoshop that doing the illustration in Illustrator was kind of hard for me. But I got through it!

Nice!

I do all my drawing/painting in Photoshop... I once had to do a cutaway of an 18 wheeler for a trade show display in Illustrator because the client wanted vector art. Man, that was tough! I'm so used to Photoshop that doing the illustration in Illustrator was kind of hard for me. But I got through it!

Thanks, Harry. I've enjoyed your work in MCM. Question: When you do a piece, do you generally work, (start) with a photo and then paint over the top, adding your own ideas? I'm curious, as your stuff looks amazingly true to life with regard to lighting, shading, highlights, etc. Anyhow love your work. Thanks for taking the time to look at mine.

Thanks, Harry. I've enjoyed your work in MCM. Question: When you do a piece, do you generally work, (start) with a photo and then paint over the top, adding your own ideas? I'm curious, as your stuff looks amazingly true to life with regard to lighting, shading, highlights, etc. Anyhow love your work. Thanks for taking the time to look at mine.

Yes, that's exactly how I do it–adding, deleting, changing things, etc. as I go... but starting with a photo as my basic guide. For example, in this one you can see the original photo that I started with, and my "restyle"..

galaxy.jpg

This one started out as a photo of a Mustang, but after I did my thing, not much Mustang was left!

cougar2.jpg

The cutaway of the 18 wheeler that I mentioned was tough, because it had to be done in Illustrator, which I don't use much for illustration, oddly enough... and second, I had no photo at all... I had to make it up out of my head. All I had were some photos of individual parts like the brake assemblies, a truck engine, etc.