Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I just got something different:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

It's a coin bank that was made for the Superior Coach Employees Federal Credit Union sometime after 1954; the auction description lists it as 7 1/2" long so I'm thinking it's about 1/48 scale. Front end is kinda Dodge-ish. Might be interesting to kitbash it with the Revell '55 Chevy stakebed for the front clip, chassis and wheels, but I hate to cut up something that may be pretty rare - there's only one other I've seen on the net:

http://www.chrispcollectibles.com/mycollection/one_offs/

Plus it has a coin slot on top but I don't see any other way to get the coins out, so a lot of them probably got broken like piggy banks.

(If you guys at Missing Link are interested in casting up a few to sell to O-gauge model railroaders, let me know.)

IMG-20150303-WA0004_zpshjdencst.jpeg

Bought this at a second hand store here in town, it's started and small parts are painted, but the bodyparts are all bare plastic. Not a bad deal for 20 bucks huh?

Lucas - the box would indicate that you've got your hands on an original issue of that kit. Are the contents molded in "Turbine Bronze" color?

I picked up this little number on Ebay.

1962%20Nova%20Model%204_zpstyzmqaf6.jpg

I sold off my unbuilt '62 Novas a while back, but this one should be a easy restore. It's only lacking stock tail lamps, but other than a few glue issues, It should clean up nicely.

It should blend in well with my other 1st generation Novas.

1963NovaModels10_zps1477846b.jpg

The Hardtop is a Trumpeter '63,

1963NovaModels7_zps7829839d.jpg

The convertible is an AMT '63, with the chassis and running gear from the AMT '66 for more detail, and a custom scratchbuilt interior,

1963NovaModels6_zpsa5abb2de.jpg

and the wagon is the excellent F&F Resin re-pop of the AMT '63, with a small block V8, and Halibrands.

1963NovaModels3_zpsdb083496.jpg

And Here's a '63 Wagon which I am going to restore to a Replica Stock 6 Cylinder Car, using Replicas and Miniatures Chevy 6 Cylinder engine, as this one did not have an engine in it..

july2012003.jpg

I also have a '65 F&F Resin kit from years ago, and a built-up '65 Craftsman, as well as a Couple of "Rat Packers", one of which is going to be turned into a '64 Gasser, to be towed by the Charcoal Wagon, which are not pictured, and a "Boss Nova" wagon, which is also going to be converted into a gasser companion to the coupe, and towed by a '64 Chevy Pickup.

As you can see, I am a nut for "Box Novas".

Lucas - the box would indicate that you've got your hands on an original issue of that kit. Are the contents molded in "Turbine Bronze" color?

Yep, parts are bronze. I'll take inside pics when I get home. If you don't mind me asking, what is special about the bronze color of the plastic?

Yep, parts are bronze. I'll take inside pics when I get home. If you don't mind me asking, what is special about the bronze color of the plastic?

Well, the color of the real 1:1 car was "Turbine Bronze".

As for the model kit, only the first and second issues of the kit were molded in a bronze color, which was supposed to replicate the prototype. All of the rest of the issues of this kit were in white, or a variety of other colors (some very strange, depending upon what plastic pellets JoHan/Seville had available at the time).

Also, look for a strip of adhesive-backed foil in the kit (lie "Bare Metal Foil"). This was included in the original kits for use on the rocker panels.

Anyway, I'd say you've very likely stumbled across a genuine 1st edition, which is typically worth $50-$100 USD here in the USA. So, you really did get a good deal on the kit. Plus, as an original issue, it shouldn't have a lot of problems with "flash" like the later reissues.

Enjoy building it - it's one of the best car kits ever made.

Well, the color of the real 1:1 car was "Turbine Bronze".

As for the model kit, only the first and second issues of the kit were molded in a bronze color, which was supposed to replicate the prototype. All of the rest of the issues of this kit were in white, or a variety of other colors (some very strange, depending upon what plastic pellets JoHan/Seville had available at the time).

Also, look for a strip of adhesive-backed foil in the kit (lie "Bare Metal Foil"). This was included in the original kits for use on the rocker panels.

Anyway, I'd say you've very likely stumbled across a genuine 1st edition, which is typically worth $50-$100 USD here in the USA. So, you really did get a good deal on the kit. Plus, as an original issue, it shouldn't have a lot of problems with "flash" like the later reissues.

Enjoy building it - it's one of the best car kits ever made.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm not sure if I'm going to build it, leave it sitting or sell/trade it. if there's anyone interested in a trade, pm me.

Some items from modelhaus, some deep rear steelies, chromed big n' little daisy mags, and a stock hood for my cannonball sleeper Fairlane. The wheels I'm very happy with, the hood not so much. It fits pretty bad and is warped on driver side edge where it meets the fender and cowl panel.

post-11129-0-07097000-1425614597_thumb.j

post-11129-0-02021300-1425614624_thumb.j

post-11129-0-51188600-1425614648_thumb.j

post-11129-0-08002200-1425614690_thumb.j

post-11129-0-85171700-1425614729_thumb.j

Edited by Dragfreak

Some items from modelhaus, some deep rear steelies, chromed big n' little daisy mags, and a stock hood for my cannonball sleeper Fairlane. The wheels I'm very happy with, the hood not so much. It fits pretty bad and is warped on driver side edge where it meets the fender and cowl panel.

Warpage on something like this resin hood is pretty easy to fix Jason. Just submerge it in some very hot tap water for a minute or so & then bend that corner back down slightly while you run cold water over it. Repeat until it looks right. Steve

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...