Model Cars Magazine Forum

Late '40's REO?

So, I've had this thing sitting out behind the barn for longer than I care to mention...

IMG_65071-vi.jpg

IMG_65081-vi.jpg

And I'm wondering if anyone does a late '40's REO cab like this in resin, preferably in 1:25 scale. I want to build a replica of it. Well, two- one of how it sits now, and one of how it might look as a restored or original truck. Yes, it was a miltary truck originally- not many were made because they were rather slow (overgeared to compensate for a weak, glorified passenger-car engine). I know I'm going to have to do quite a bit of scratchbuilding on it no matter what, but I'd like to at least find a usable cab.

Some of the early '50's Diamond Reos seemed to havea similar cab (slightly different windsheild), so I suppose I could make one of those work if I had to, provided one is available.

Nope, I've had a REO on my to do list for awhile. Little different style cab (civilian) but probably the same base truck.

Wespe resin from Eastern Europe does a lot of military models including a 1/24 GMC 2 1/2 ton truck. The GMC was closely related to the Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton truck. Not a REO but I bet it would be a good start for your truck.

I want to do one of those as well- it's that grille and hood I'm worried about. I'm not that good with curves and symmetry- put them together and it's pretty much hopeless. :wacko: Chassis, axles and drivetrain shouldn't be a big deal- C-channel for the rails and I think if nothing else I can modify a Plymouth or Hudson engine into the REO six if need be.

I'm thinking the Chevy cab might be the best starting point- sad thing is even though I had a '46 Chevy right alongside the REO for years, I never got around to measuring them to see how close they were in size.

Edited by Michigan Madman

I'd start with the '50 Ford, for sure. The cab is pretty close, at least from these perspectives. You could get the work on the front parts done with nothing more than a file and sanding stick. Can't see the back so not sure there, but I doubt it'd be much.

The hood? Easy. Use the stock Ford hood for a foundation. Looks like if you smoothed off the Ford hood and sliced part of the sides off, you'd be well over halfway there. And that grill would be easy...just set up a jig to keep the spacing right.

The fenders are pretty basic...I'm sure you could figure those out.

Go for it!

I thought of using the Aussie GMC, but for that price I just decided to go with the Revell cab, since I'd still need to make the fenders anyway. I do want to get that kit and build it as the GMC one of these days, though!

Chris- The '50 Ford cab is a little bit larger in pretty much every dimension than the REO's, and has a flat windsheild, where the REO's is a v'd two-piece. Either way it would be quite a bit of work, though I do think you're onto something with using the Ford hood as a base for the REO. It's a lot shorter, but the basic shape seems close enough to be workable.

You're probably right, Chuck. Hard to tell on the dimensions from two pics. The overall curves look right from here, then I focused on details such as the beltline(s) under the door windows, the transition area at the windshield/cowl and lower corners of the A pillars...comparing those to my '50 Ford and '41 Chevy models, the '50 wins out. But if the overall proportions are significantly off, then it's certainly more work than I let on. lol. I think I'd still start with the '50, but it's one of those "pick your battles" things...whichever works for ya.