Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boss Truck question

Picked up a extra set of Tyrone Malone tires, thinking about finding a few W-925's and building it up to the Boss Truck. The Movin On kits are hitting ebay quite regularly .

BosstruckofAmericaA-vi.jpg

The real truck has two 36" sleepers - anyone know if they had a crawl through or a walk through where they joined ?

This will be a long one over 15" for 1/25

Any ideas or input will greatly be appreciated.

I would build it with a walk through, due to the fact that the bed would be in the back I would think.

However you can scratch build a solid sleeper unless this is the look you want.

This was my first shot at doing one and it came out OK.

This truck has been busted up and will be rebuilt.

Better than this DSC05910-1.jpgnext time

Edited by ewaskew

Here is the only pic I have found of the interrior of the Boss Truck Of America's sleepers...but it's impossible to see if it's walk through between them...it's doesn't look as if it is to the drivers cab though..

MamaTruckSleepers-vi.jpg

Edited by Force

Awesome pic Force, that gives me a much better idea. I had looked at dozens of pics and at peoples albums but had not seen that one or angle. That one sums up my suspicion it is a walk through from sleeper to sleeper or the gasket portrays it that way. Otherwise the shadow would not be so prominent from top to bottom. Plus that looks like a "bar/ table" towards the cab and possibly a bench / step up where the small sign board is.

I have seen pics of where it shows the crawl through from the cab.

Thanks a million :)

Edited by Old Buckaroo

That was a nice truck too bad it was lost in a fire

Yeah it was a real beauty, seeing the remnants is quite depressing to see how Grand it was. Lots of custom pin stripping all over the frame. It would of been a real pleasure to have seen in its glory.

Another real nice truck I have seen pics of is the Evel Knievel Mack - The door panels with the stars and bars and the star headliner , Wow.

Now all you see in trucks is mostly plastic and vinyl graphics . What happened to these type of talented craftsman ?

I have seen the Boss Truck of America with 5 or 6 different paint schemes.

The Boss Truck wasn't really lost to the shop fire but it was severely damaged...it still exists as you can see in Richards link but it's in a bad shape.

Most of the trucks was sold off after Jerry "Tyrone" Malone died in 1997 and was spread all over the country, The Boss Truck Of America is in parts in Texas, the Whale Truck is also in Texas, the Bandag Bandit is owned by Bandag/Bridgestone, the Super Boss, Papa Truck, Hurricane and Defience trucks, and the Smokey Bear Corvette are owned by Gary Ries/Stagecoach Diesel Motorsports, the Hideout Truck was in Fontana, CA until recently but is now owned by Ries/Stagecoach too.

Yes he does, and they are good...but no chrome...I have bought a couple of sets for my Tyrone Malone Transporters from him to make them more correct and Alclad II to the resque as we don't have plastic plating service for hobbyists over here.
But they switched to chromed 2-hole Budd wheels with tubeless tires on the Transporters and Boss Truck later in their life so it depends on what version you're doing.

If you browse around in Ken Harris albums you'll find lots of pics of the Boss Truck, among them these of the truck in pieces in Texas http://public.fotki.com/superboss1/the-boss-truck-of-a/

One thing there is that the frame and wheelbase is streched and the rear part of newer frame rails with a KW 8-bag Air Glide 100 suspension is grafted on wich is wrong for this truck.

The Air Glide 100 wasn't available in 1971 (as far as I know) and the truck originally had the earlier 4-bag air ride and a quite short wheelbase...on a couple of pics you see on the white part of the frame just behind the sleeper where the 4-bag suspension was originally mounted.

Edited by Force