Model Cars Magazine Forum

Update Feb 2015 1964 First Funny Cars + New addition 1964 Dodge Chargers

Here's a couple of my 1964 funny cars. Jack Chrisman's '64 Comet (the decals are from Badlands in Canada). Also Arnie Beswick's '64 GTO.

Picked up a built 1964 Dodge Chargers on Epay. Disassembled it, made several changes, added new chassis and engine bay, redid engine, repaint lower front panel, hand cut blue stripes, redid interior, etc. I know the side decals were placed wrong on the original but I did not redo them, I just modified them.

Always felt I needed a Dodge Chargers to go with Chrisman's Comet and Beswick's GTO.

Story was that Chrisman would show up at the drag strips where the Dodge Chargers were running each other and challenge them but they were told by Chrysler not to do it. Jimmy Nix was going to modify the #2 car and drop in a supercharged Hemi on nitro, but it never came about.

Let me know what you think.

post-13715-0-65962000-1396356242_thumb.j

post-13715-0-90845400-1396356259_thumb.j

Edited by magicmustang

The Arnie GTO started out as a Polar lights snap kit '64 GTO Hdtp. With some scratch building, the spare parts box and Slixx decals it came together.

The Chrisman Comet started as a AMT Craftman kit. It took a lot of scratch building to do it justice. The decals were the hardest parts to find. A company out of Canada (Bad Habit motorsports) made some, but I believe they are now out of business.

Edited by magicmustang

Two very nice builds on great subjects! They both look very good overall and they have the old Race Car's look and feel...Excellent work!

Where are the GTO's front tires from? They look perfect for Drag Cars from this era.

• 5 months later...