Model Cars Magazine Forum

If you really think about it, that's what this hobby is all about. The imagination at work, whether it's the build or the feel of owning the real thing. and yes, I'd like to see all of those kits reissued. :)

Yeah that would be nice. Back in the late 60's a shop here in town was going OOB. You walked in the front door, and from floor to ceiling, for a good 30 feet, there were those double kits for $0.50 a pop. Yep only 50 cents. Man if a guy only knew then what they go for now.

I have seen some great box art....Couple of builders photo shopped their builds onto the kit box...complete with logos and all. The one I fell for was the 48 Ford custom from Revell...Donn Yost Edition ! ...Yeah I found out that it was bogus, But it looked real to me!

Problem being .... Wasn't me ! Had no idea it existed until you mentioned it !

• 4 years later...

Box art, before the box. All are AMT. The Gold Chevy pickup, Thunderbird Styling Kit, and '50 Ford Convertible work are the work of Al Borst, but not sure who painted the Falcon box art:

AlBorstChevyPUArt.jpg.3a766eacb93834279402d01f335ad6db.jpg

AMTAlBorstArt.jpg.4225f488619de9c4cc6fee989412fbf3.jpg

alborst50fordart.jpg.3d780c8dee378224d142cd82f1996e99.jpg

AMT67FalconBoxArt.jpg.70d6783c7ccb46a22e8b06314241aca7.jpg

Edited by Casey

20 hours ago, Casey said:

Box art, before the box. All are AMT. The Gold Chevy pickup, Thunderbird Styling Kit, and '50 Ford Convertible work are the work of Al Borst, but not sure who painted the Falcon box art:

AlBorstChevyPUArt.jpg.3a766eacb93834279402d01f335ad6db.jpg

AMTAlBorstArt.jpg.4225f488619de9c4cc6fee989412fbf3.jpg

alborst50fordart.jpg.3d780c8dee378224d142cd82f1996e99.jpg

AMT67FalconBoxArt.jpg.70d6783c7ccb46a22e8b06314241aca7.jpg

That Chevy truck could be built like the box art using the new Surburban kit!! And a little scratch building!

Dennis

I like art in general. And I really like model car box art.  I do have a handful that were bought for the art. I mostly buy kits for the subjects and parts that are in them. So if the box has cool art on it that is a bonus..!  I won't let bad box art stop me from buying a kit if it's a subject I want to build. I will make my own art out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Now this is sort of unusual.  A Palmer kit with box art that looks every bit as bad as the kit inside.  Some Palmer box art looked really good and resembled the real car, while the contents didn't (with a few exceptions).  Not my kit, I saw this on eBay a few minutes ago.  The seller was asking $34.99:

palvet1.jpg

palvet2.jpg

22 minutes ago, Psychographic said:

That Palmer Vette looks like a small detuned VaVaVette. It would make for the start of a good cartoon build, what scale is it?

From the looks of it, I don't think they believed in scales!! :lol::lol::lol: That pic should come with a free sample of eye bleach! :lol:

More Palmer goodness!  The "Outlaw" Competition Mustang.  The box art, if you squint, looks sort of like a second-generation Mustang:  it has the hood recesses, side scallops and T-Bird sequential taillights as used on second-gen Shelby Cobras.  The actual parts look weirder, as usual: a mish-mash of second and third-generation body styles, with a molded-in hood scoop.  It does have a nice pair of chrome-plated sun visors.  At least I think that's what they are.  I didn't bother posting the pic of the chrome.  If you want to see this eyesore, just go to eBay and search "palmer outlaw mustang."

Let's hope this Outlaw got a life sentence with no hope of parole.

pal_out1.jpg

pal_out2.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, Mike999 said:

Now this is sort of unusual.  A Palmer kit with box art that looks every bit as bad as the kit inside.  Some Palmer box art looked really good and resembled the real car, while the contents didn't (with a few exceptions).  Not my kit, I saw this on eBay a few minutes ago.  The seller was asking $34.99:

palvet1.jpg

palvet2.jpg

I have a Palmer '66 Vette roadster. I'm gonna see if I can section a little height out of the body, and build it just for laughs. Also thinking of putting it on a VW chassis as a "kit car."  Surprisingly, it seems to be right about 1/25 scale, unlike many of their models which seemed to be closer to 1/30 or so.