Model Cars Magazine Forum

My new project. K-123 Tow. Done (almost)

I bought a few model kits that someone never put together off Ebay, and it included a tow truck bed. Most of the tow trucks you see are conventionals, so I thought a cab over would be a fun project, since I have 2 K-123 kits.

First thing I did was move the rear suspension back and then lengthen the frame by 4 scale feet. Then I looked at if for a couple days, and shortened the frame back up. I decided I liked the short squatty look better. I also moved the fuel tanks back so they would fit under the wrecker body.

I plan on painting it black, with red frame, wheels and inner wrecker bed. I did find out I was missing the little wheel that is on the end of the boom that the cable goes over, but I'm sure I will find something.

post-15105-0-59638200-1423011246_thumb.j

post-15105-0-95505100-1423011277_thumb.j

Edited by Jonj238

Nice idea for a project. And yes at one time the COE wreckers seemed to be more prominent. Maybe because of the legnth laws or some thing?

And now you have given me an idea for a build once I get moved. A day cab pete with that wrecker body ! Than ks for posting this and giving me the inspiration.

Be Well

Gator

I got the frame painted. I also painted the cab and outer part of the bed. I had some issues with the black paint I used. The paint was some real old stuff I had lying around and I figured I would use it up. It turned out dull and looks like there is a ton of dirt in it. Must have gone bad. Sanding and polishing is not an option because to the rivets on the cab. I'm either going to have to strip it and try again, or I have been thinking that I might keep the old "tired" paint look and do some weathering. I still have a Rustall kit left over from my HO days.

Anyway, this is my update.

kw10.jpg

Edited by Jonj238

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought I would post an update. I am making progress, although I must say this is the most challenging model kit I have ever worked with. Poor castings, warped parts, vague instructions, etc. A little more to do on the cab, then I am moving on to the bed.

kw657.jpg

• 2 weeks later...