Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air brushing from a compressed air tank?

I'm returning an inexpensive compressor my wife bought for me for Fathers Day and saving for a better one. But I also thought that maybe I could just buy a compressed air tank and regulator, fill it with my big garage compressor (too loud for indoor use) and then just use the air tank indoors for airbrushing. Yeah, it would have to be filled often which isn't a huge issue and it's fairly large but very inexpensive compared to buying a good airbrush compressor.

Anyone else doing this?

I had that setup in the past as well but got a little frustrated filling it all of the time.

For the money I spent on the tank and fittings I could have bought a compressor from an auto store for less than $100. That is what I have now and it works like a charm.

I'm returning an inexpensive compressor my wife bought for me for Fathers Day and saving for a better one. But I also thought that maybe I could just buy a compressed air tank and regulator, fill it with my big garage compressor (too loud for indoor use) and then just use the air tank indoors for airbrushing. Yeah, it would have to be filled often which isn't a huge issue and it's fairly large but very inexpensive compared to buying a good airbrush compressor.

Anyone else doing this?

Sure,

You'll find people using Scuba tanks also as a source of compressed air.

Air is Air so long as you regulate and use one or two moisture traps.

Some people fill their tanks with CO2.

CadillacPat

Rob,

Here's the problem , last sweep , final coat , air runs out half way through the pass , airbrush sputters ! Now you have spatter marks !

Can you guess how I know about this scenario ? Murphy is sitting in the corner of the shop laughing his miserable behind off , he remembers , the little jerk !

Some people fill their tanks with CO2.

CadillacPat

I'm 1 of those people who uses a co2, don't have to worrie about moisture traps, don't have the living snot scared out of me when it does kick on.

I have been really happy w/ my set-up. my tank will hold 3000 pounds of co2, it will last me about 8-10 months

post-750-0-72529200-1340334657_thumb.jpg

Edited by J Smith

I purchased a auto parts store compressor with a 24L tank and while it is noisy it only takes 2 minutes to full and I then just switch it off. I refill it again the next day.I find the full tank will last me an entire evening of airbrushing.

If you leave them turned on they will keep kicking in to top up the tank which is loud, annoying, and can make you jump out of the chair but controlling when it fills works fine for me.

Many of us have set up very seriously for AirBrushing our Models.

But,

Some want to go as cheaply as possible while still achieving good results.

Some want a portable source of air for AirBrushing when not having access to power sources.

If you read or frequent AirBrush Sites you'll see an array of methods for compressed air.

Of course, just like the gas gauge in your car, you will have to stay aware of how full your tank is.

AirBrushing is the simplest of tasks, try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat

Rob,

Here's the problem , last sweep , final coat , air runs out half way through the pass , airbrush sputters ! Now you have spatter marks !

Can you guess how I know about this scenario ? Murphy is sitting in the corner of the shop laughing his miserable behind off , he remembers , the little jerk !

That's why I have a guage on my tank. If it's anywhere near being low I just refill it. The same way you keep from running out of gas in your car. Guages aren't expensive and the low cost air tanks from Sears come with a guage already installed at less than $30 for a 5 gallon tank. I fill mine up with a Black & Decker portable tire inflater (about $25) that has no problem getting it up to 100+ psi.

Edited by mr moto

Manuel how much airbrushing does that get you?

Pat I fully intend to. I have a booth now thanks to my amazing wife, a Badger 175 that I have played around with a bit. I bought Donns video so as soon as I get some cooler weather this fall I'll a painting fool. I think I'm a clean builder with good skills and the ability to lay a killer paint job is my last real hurdle as a modeler.

I hope to be relocating this year to a more suitable habitation that will allow me to do everything indoors and therefore take the weather issue out of the equation as well.

Pat is correct ! It is the simplest of tasks . I know there are times that my posts are almost blunt with my opinions on what I feel is right or wrong on a subject , here's why .

I want to keep airbrushing as simple and enjoyable for everyone as I possibly can . To achieve this , you need to remove any and all distractions that you possibly can ! If you're watching a gauge , or a moisture trap , worrying about what ifs , your focus is not on the task at hand ..... Airbrushing that model !

Setting the proper work environment will improve your paint work 10 fold ! Paint area clean? Check ! Plenty of air ? Check ! Inline moisture traps ? Check ! Where is all of your attention now ? On the paintwork where it should be !

I realize that finances have to be considered also . However , putting your money into your equipment first , and buying the kits second is a much better bet ! Good equipment is always going to lead to far better results .

Having good equipment in place , a method in using it , and a good painting environment will keep O'l Murphy out of the equation . Now all you have to do is have fun and focus on your paintwork which will improve with each and every session !