Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda Reference Pics & Info

I know that the red stripe wasn't a factory option , but I'm pretty certain that the stripe was available in white .

I've seen pics of a white convertible w/ red interior and a black stripe... thinking I'd like to build a coupe in those colors w/ steelies and dog dish hubcaps.

Only seperating the stock issue and typical drag race versions was the hood and usually the intake manifold.

I already have a hood master done using an original MPC hood as a base, so I'll wait to see how it fits this Revell body before it procedes

Plus , one could do this one with nothing but a decal change from the S+M car

And I for one am certaintly hoping the aftermkt does multiple decals for the upcoming kit.

johnhagen70cuda_zpsa4d67171.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

The 1970 Barracuda brochure in the "Library" on Hamtramck Historical doesn't -at least through any searches I've conducted- list the Hockey Stick Stripes' available colours ; not even in the Trim and Stripes section (!)

From what I've garnered over the last 43 years of being a gear head , I've not seen any *documentation* of a red Hockey Stick from the factory . Who knows ; maybe it's like the elusive 1970 Mod Top / Mod Interior (which is listed in the 'Interior Trim' section) . Perhaps the (guessing at the sales code here) V6R stripes were available very early in the run , then like the Mod trim , was cancelled very early .

As a side note : I've always really , really liked the paint schemes on Don Grotheer's Plymouths !

The 1970 Barracuda brochure in the "Library" on Hamtramck Historical doesn't -at least through any searches I've conducted- list the Hockey Stick Stripes' available colours ; not even in the Trim and Stripes section (!)

From what I've garnered over the last 43 years of being a gear head , I've not seen any *documentation* of a red Hockey Stick from the factory . Who knows ; maybe it's like the elusive 1970 Mod Top / Mod Interior (which is listed in the 'Interior Trim' section) . Perhaps the (guessing at the sales code here) V6R stripes were available very early in the run , then like the Mod trim , was cancelled very early .

As a side note : I've always really , really liked the paint schemes on Don Grotheer's Plymouths !

John....thanks a bunch for posting this info....I would have sworn that I have photography of a '70 'cuda convert in black with a red stripe, but going through my files, I do not. I am probably thinking of the same color combo on the Challenger, which was available. So you are correct, it WAS only available in black, at least at as of the beginning of the model year. I did find two cars with a white stripe - an In Violet 'cuda 340 Coupe with White Sport Tape Stripe, and a Lemon Twist Coupe with a white stripe - so this was probably a mid-year addition to tape stripe availability.

It turns out that there IS documentation of the code V6X "Sport Tape Stripe" hidden away on the Hamtramck site...I found it a few days ago while doing research, so it may be a fresh addition there...it's in the '70 Plymouth section called "Vinyl Roofs and Tape Stripes" or something close to that...several pages in there is a page for Barracuda and Valiant, and it says "SPORT TAPE STRIPES" - Optional at extra cost, available on 'cuda models only (Black only)." And then in the charts below on the lower left it lists Code "4 - Black - V6X".

I can't thank you enough for bringing it to my attention. I have already corrected my Fotki posting.

Now, onto the mid-year "Strobe Stripe" option, in Black, Magenta (slightly lighter than Moulin Rouge), White, and (?) Ledger Green - some conflicting info on that last color! And yes, I did note a while back the Mod Top listing in both Mod Yellow and Mod Blue. I presume you saw the resto of the F8 Dark Green Metallic 'Hemi Cuda with the Mod Yellow interior a couple of years ago? I KNOW I stashed pictures of that somehere (I think it was featured in Mopar Collectors Guide?).

Best...TIM

Edited by tim boyd

John....thanks a bunch for posting this info....I would have sworn that I have photography of a '70 'cuda convert in black with a red stripe, but going through my files, I do not. I am probably thinking of the same color combo on the Challenger, which was available. So you are correct, it WAS only available in black, at least at as of the beginning of the model year. I did find one photo of a car with a white stripe - an In Violet 'cuda 340 Coupe with White Sport Tape Stripe, so this may have been a mid-year addition to tape stripe availability.

It turns out that there IS documentation of the code V6X "Sport Tape Stripe" hidden away on the Hamtramck site...I found it a few days ago while doing research, so it may be a fresh addition there...it's in the '70 Plymouth section called "Vinyl Roofs and Tape Stripes" or something close to that...several pages in there is a page for Barracuda and Valiant, and it says "SPORT TAPE STRIPES" - Optional at extra cost, available on 'cuda models only (Black only)." And then in the charts below on the lower left it lists Code "4 - Black - V6X".

I can't thank you enough for bringing it to my attention. I have already corrected my Fotki posting.

Now, onto the mid-year "Strobe Stripe" option, in Black, Magenta (slightly lighter than Moulin Rouge), White, and (?) Ledger Green - some conflicting info on that last color! And yes, I did note a while back the Mod Top listing in both Mod Yellow and Mod Blue. I presume you saw the resto of the F8 Dark Green Metallic 'Hemi Cuda with the Mod Yellow interior a couple of years ago? I KNOW I stashed pictures of that somehere (I think it was featured in Mopar Collectors Guide?).

Best...TIM

You're quite welcome , Tim :) .

I've used the excellent Hamtramck Historical site ever since I discovered it a few years back . The *tricks* to utilising its info are :

1.) Ascertain the dates of the provided info . Some of those catalogues are early-press (e.g. , the 1970 Barracuda catalogue was probably printed in Summer 1969 , if not earlier) . Oftentimes factory updates were issued throughout the model year .

2.) "Never say 'Never'" when it comes to how Chrysler built cars . Exceptions to this rule would include such vehicles as a HemiCuda from the Los Angeles plant , or a convertible from the same . Those were Hamtramck-only builds . Naturally , this affects scale models in no way ( ;) ).

The availability -or lack thereof- of the white Hockey Stripe was never in question by me , only the red stripe .

Special runs of specialty-built models seem to be the biggest source of confusion , with the AAR 'Cuda and the Trans Am Challenger being chiefly amongst the confusion . The T/A's only stripe colour was black ; the AAR's strobe could be had in white in addition to black . Ever see a TX9 Challenger T/A ? That "ghostly" image of the satin-finish stripes against the black body is a thing of beauty !

Tim , I have been a fan of your writing and building style ever since I picked-up my first issue of "the other magazine" in 1985 ( "Building the F-100 " , or something to that effect . The comparo between the "Big 4" offerings of 1953-1956 F-100's ) .

Keep up the great work !

Wouldn't the guy from "Graveyard Cars" have a conniption over this one? How would he ever restore that one, it has neither a born on date or a died on date.

Ha ha ha ! Truly this Tooling Proof is , perhaps , the 8th wonder of the world ; and , if it had a Hemi under its hood , it could be dubbed "The Hemi-Powered White Elephant " !

Seems odd they would have had a tooling proof for '74, since the '74 changed very little from the '73..the tooling wouldn't have changed except for any parts that actually changed, I would think.

I thought the exact same thing ; If [1974] is the last year for the E-bodies , why were thye still producing Tooling Proofs ? Perhaps it had to do with the plant where they were built ( Hamtramck ; opened in 1914) and Engineering wanting to ascertain that the stampings / Bodies-In-White were still "on-track" ? It's all speculative at my end .

I thought the exact same thing ; If [1974] is the last year for the E-bodies , why were thye still producing Tooling Proofs ?

Same here, about the only changes from '73 to '74 were the longer rear bumper pads, the 340 to 360 E58 engine change, which should have had zero effect on the body, and new paint colors. Hmmm....TB

I thought the exact same thing ; If [1974] is the last year for the E-bodies , why were thye still producing Tooling Proofs ? Perhaps it had to do with the plant where they were built ( Hamtramck ; opened in 1914) and Engineering wanting to ascertain that the stampings / Bodies-In-White were still "on-track" ? It's all speculative at my end .

Yeah, 40 years ago...who knows what they did then.

Could be that's it's an updated '70 proof body.

Is it spot welded or put together with rivets?

It's definitely a 1972-1974 body . The giveaway being the recessed areas on the front fenders / rear quarters to accomodate the "universal" side marker lamps of '72 & later ; then the tail light panels has the 4 round cutouts for the '72-'74 tail lamp assemblies .

There's a photo in the link which shows the factory-installed "Fender Tag" (stamped metal plate) which reads "1974 BODY TOOLING PROOF" . As a side to that ; it's interesting to recognise that the stamped words are recessed as opposed to superimposed , as the latter was standard practise for these tags .

I did not know all this discussion was going on . About the Mod Top . I am in for this ! I will add : In '68 I built the only available Johnny Come lately Camero kit from AMT at that time . I painted it Rally Green with a Decal I got somewhere on the roof . It did nothing but clash as it was light colored w/ flowers . I did source it from a Kit somewhere ? It was an eyesore and looked just right to me .

I am in for this '70 Cuda . I've been trying for 2 decades (at least) to restore a glue bomb '70 Hemi Cuda . rats or mice chewed up the Stock hood . I bought a resin for a Hemi . I am needing a Stock Chassis , steelies / poverty caps , and glass to finish this stalled project up . Thanx you Modelhaus and Katie Decals . I've gathered all but these pieces lacking I've described . This including Paint and Hockey Stripes . Unfortunatly , along the way I did collect up a '72 - "74 (I'm not sure about the bumper guard length) MPC Pro Stock Hemi "Cuda . Glass was broken in the box ?? A Jo-han S&M Kit . The glass was missing in the box ?? I think I'll trade these off as these will not supply what I need anyway . I did not even dream steelins and poverty caps would ever appear for this and a '70 RR stalled build I am sitting on . I am in line for this one also . Thanx ..