Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 1988 Sauber Mercedes C9

BMX Addicts

I would say do a hot rod that you would like to have.. just for a change of pace..

Thank you Derick, I definitively see a hot rod in a near future...

Juan, a few suggestions for some great kits....

AMT '71 Charger

AMT '71 Duster

AMT '66 Fairlane

Moebius Hudson Hornet

Moebius Chrysler 300

Revell '69 Charger

Revell '68 Dart

Revell '32 Ford (Any of 'em, they're all great!)

Thanks Mike, the Dart, the Charger and maybe even the Fairlane look really cool, I wish I could find a 72 Ford Falcon GTHO sedan (This last one was owned by my dad back in the late 70's)... I would love to do a Bathurst Special.

Of those three, the Charger is the easiest to build, with the Duster a close second. The Fairlane takes a bit of work to get the front end down (It sits high if built without modification), and the inner fender wells also have to be trimmed a bit to get the body sitting right, but otherwise it's a great build.

The Charger's 440 is the best I've ever built, and the Duster's 340 is equally as nice, both scream for added details! So if you want to give that a shot, either one is a great engine for your first attempt!

Thank you Mike, I like both the Charger and the Duster, almost purchased a Street Charger today (Tempted by the 1/16 scale).

I do have here a couple Shelby GT's, but like I said before, the molds look like they need loads of work....

Shelby_zps16c8e90d.jpg

Ah!!!... I did ruin a Dick Landy 67 Dart using the Spaz Stix stuff last week... I may try to find another kit and use the incomplete set to replace any parts I ruin during the build.

Edited by BMX Addicts

The '68 Charger is a nice kit, but it's got a nasty little remnant of the vinyl top from the '69 version...it's right at the rear of the side windows. It can be removed, but it takes some slow, careful work with some sandpaper. And a word of warning on the Revell kits, all new Revell kits have a new type of plastic that is very easily "burnt" by hot solvents in paints (Mostly lacquers , so spray light coats of paint. If you're using Tamiya paints, you should be fine, but I'd still go with light coats to be safe. Now tell us which one you're going for after your "twin" build!

Thanks for the heads up Mike, I'll sure take your advice into consideration.

I have a soft spot for the Dart (And a few others my dad had back in the day) in the race/street rod version, but I want to break away from the "usual" orange or red theme which makes it a bit complicated; I always do internet searches for reference and pretty much every single Dart shown is in one of these colors :unsure:. Another thing that makes it a little limited are the colors of the decals, the bright orange stripe will totally throw away colors like Black or Light Metallic Blue.... hmmmm

The rod version of the charger looks awesome (Hence the orange marks shown around it), assuming I don't ruin the 1st body, I want to try a full black as well... In any case, your words are already thundering in the back of my head ("Slow, Careful work with sanding paper")... That my friend is a real challenge!!!.

Ah!, my twin project just became a poor single :P

Edited by BMX Addicts