Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting Stated?

I am new to Resin Casting as well as this forum so I not even sure if this is the right place to be asking but...

I am wanting to get into making custom 1/24th scale model parts, nothing on a large scale just a few diffrent pieces here and there and I was wanting to know where a good place would be to go to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Alumilite has some nice how to's on their site.

http://www.alumilite.com/

Alumilite has some starter kits that are not bad to start with. There are numerous suppliers for resin casting and each has their supporters and detractors. Alumilite, Micromark, and TAP plastic are a few I've used, I've been happy with the product and service from each, but TAP is my regular supplier.

Also this is the right place to ask, there are several experienced casters that visit the site (but not me I'm an amatuer :o )

Edited by Aaronw

This is the right place. I have cast a few things and have picked up a bunch along the way from other casters here and on LargeScaleModeler as well.Bob there also orks for Alumilite. That is what I use for casting. try thier #3 rubber.great stuff.If ya just want to get started, use one of thier kits.But in the long run, you can save some $ buying what ya need directly from them! There are a couple of tricks to get better results like using talcum powder or heating the mold up in the microwave.Actually better on a hot plate, but I dont have one yet.If you are doing multiple piece molds, it works best if you have the filler hole and anothe hole for air to escape through the top.If ya got specific questions, shoot away there are many here to help, some are even more or less, pros as some run thier own businessed.So..... Have fun and good luck!