Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg Kits?

If you're into the big stuff, check out this kit I'm building at the moment...Lindberg's reissue of the once motorized (now static) Exterminator dragster.

drag10.jpg

Vintage drag doesn't get much cooler than this kit!

VERY cool, Harry! Are there machined and/or metal pieces on this? Wow. I think this kit just got added to my buying list.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with the majority on this one- you gotta take Lindberg kits on a case by case basis. Their new tools from the mid-90's can actually give AMT and Revell a run for their money. I have the '67 Olds under construction right now, and though it was initially panned for a too- shallow interior, it builds up quite nicely with one caveat- the rear sway bar is molded to the rear axle, so I replaced it with the rear axle from the Revell '66 GTO. The '97 F-150 4X4 is a very enjoyable build, as are the '53 Ford and the Chrysler Atlantic.

• 4 weeks later...
The Union issues were not run by Testors for Union. Union actually bought the molds from Testors at a time when Testors needed to raise cash. Same for the Heller issues - Union bought those tools from Heller when Heller was facing a cash flow crisis as well.

I hope those Heller molds are equally alive and well.

Just to add to the Union kit lore: A few years back I bought a 66 Mustang hardtop kit in a Union box. It is the AMT 66 Mustang hardtop, down to the custom and racing parts.

George, I have a testors 48 ford kit convertible i found in my attic that is open but all of the parts (some may have fallen off) are on the trees and most are still in the baggies. I MAY decided to build it but I may just pass and get the revell/monogram pro modeler version of the kit. if i decide to go with the R/M route you are more than welcome to the testors kit, hit me up via PM with your address and we can 'work something out' :P.

• 9 years later...

I was just playing around with a Lindberg '80-'81-ish Mustang last night. It will take a little work to get the body cleaned up, but I think a pretty decent/cool model could be built from it, especially with Not A Whole Lot Else available for this these days.