Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Booth Venting

I'm finally done with my big house projects for this season and now is my time. Besides returning my garage to normal, I'm getting the hobby room back on-line and I have a question.

I have a tiny spare bedroom in my house that I use as a hobby room. There's one window that opens on the front of the house. If I add a spray booth in there, how can I "filter" the vented air? I don't want to ruin the siding on the house as it's white over red....with the window in the white area. BTW: I have a Harbor Freight booth

Thanks!

Edited by FASTBACK340

Guest G Holding

filter it into a water trap to drop the solids...yes you will lose some flow, the other option is a custom paint blob on your house....Have Pat explain that to your wife. You could only spray white ?

filter it into a water trap to drop the solids...

Think about it Geno, how much air pressure do you think you would need to force air from a 4" duct UNDERWATER.

To what benefit would that help, think of the giant mess, The room would look like a scene from "The Poseidon Adventure"

I don't know how you even think that could work, so, I'll let you explain the details to the guys wife.

He's not wanting to know how to build a Bong, he's asking about Paint Booth venting.

CadillacPat

I don't think thet Gragory intended to mean to force the air underwater, but rather a setup not unlike an old oil bath air filter, which would not impede the airlow very much at all.If you're unfamiliar with the oil bath air filter, it essentially works like this; The air enters the housing and is forced down to the the oil reservoir (obviosly water for the purpose of catching paint particle), then turned 180 degrees. The particles tend to not make the 180 degree turn, and are trapped in the oil. A mist of oil is stirred up, and is trapped on a wire mesh in the upper part of the filter housing, condensing on it and flowing back to the reservoir. It's actually a vry simple and effective form of filtration, though they are somewhat messy to service.

Harbor Freight.....paint booth?

They don't carry them anymore.

Guest G Holding

Burp....not sure Patrick.....(We dont talk bongs or that stuff here.) But Bill hit it dead on...a lot of people use these for clothes dryers, vented indoors as a lint trap. They will work well, but can be a bit messy to empty and clean.

sticker,375x360.png

I don't think thet Gragory intended to mean to force the air underwater, but rather a setup not unlike an old oil bath air filter, which would not impede the airlow very much at all.If you're unfamiliar with the oil bath air filter, it essentially works like this; The air enters the housing and is forced down to the the oil reservoir (obviosly water for the purpose of catching paint particle), then turned 180 degrees. The particles tend to not make the 180 degree turn, and are trapped in the oil. A mist of oil is stirred up, and is trapped on a wire mesh in the upper part of the filter housing, condensing on it and flowing back to the reservoir. It's actually a vry simple and effective form of filtration, though they are somewhat messy to service.

They don't carry them anymore.

Bill, I wouldn't want oil anywhere near my Paint Booth. Add that to the fact that your main objective here is to vent harmful paint vapors/fumes. Paint particles are secondary.

CadillacPat

Not sure about your booth, my Paasche booth has poly fiber filter in the back of the plenum which catches most if not all of the solids on the way out. I vent out a window through dryer hose and removable sheet of masonite. I also have light colored siding on the side of the house, never noticed any "color" residue on the side of the house or window screen. Try getting some aquarium filter material sheet and vent through that, pretty much what's in my booth it doesn't seem to impede airflow at all cheap and easy to clean up.

I also use the booth to vent out bondo odors when using or sanding fillers, works well. My wife can't stand the smell of bondo since I've been venting the smell out that way she never complains.

Adding filters into the duct line will impede airflow.

I don't use filters in my Paint Booth.

CadillacPat

Pat,

I've now used two commercially available spray booths, both with fairly powerful squirrel cage blowers for extracting air through filters: The old Badger unit from the late 1980's (too small for my purposes), and a Pace Peacemaker which I really like a lot. The Badger used fiberglas furnace filter media, which is fairly course, and that did leave a very light amount of overspray "dust" on the screen in my then-apartment bedroom window, which I simply removed with my vacuum cleaner.

The Pace uses a HEPA grade corrugated home HVAC filter, and when fresh, that filter passes the air with quite a bit of force. For those living in apartments, it is critical to avoid leaving any permanent "stains" behind from our hobby work. I have found that with the exception of the little bit of dried overspray dust that the rather primitive Badger unit left on the window screen, I've never had any permanent discoloration of anything either inside or outside of my apartments--and even more importantly, using those spray booths has prevented any complaints from neighboring apartments as to the smell of paint, or any overspray dust. In the bargain, my Pace is literally conversation quiet--step out of the room, you can't even hear the thing run.

Art

Contact a air filtration company in your area, I got hooked up with a self contained filter box. It is 12" x 12", has a front mounted furnace type filter, center mounted sealed fan, and a charcoal filter pack at back. when I bought this for $50 I thought it cant be good, but it was. I can spray a model on a table with this behind it, no overspray, collects fumes and you cannot even tell if I sprayed a model on the coffee table, (no dear....I would never do that), you can reload the furnace filter when needed(about every 4 paint jobs, and the company will acid dip, and recharge your charcoal filter for $5, about every 30 paint jobs

... I have found that with the exception of the little bit of dried overspray dust that the rather primitive Badger unit left on the window screen, I've never had any permanent discoloration of anything either inside or outside of my apartments--and even more importantly, using those spray booths has prevented any complaints from neighboring apartments as to the smell of paint, or any overspray dust...

This is of great interest to me, since external venting isn't very practical for me. Art, are you saying that you are venting to the air in the room rather than outside?

Thanx,

B.

Pat,

I've now used two commercially available spray booths, both with fairly powerful squirrel cage blowers for extracting air through filters: The old Badger unit from the late 1980's (too small for my purposes), and a Pace Peacemaker which I really like a lot. The Badger used fiberglas furnace filter media, which is fairly course, and that did leave a very light amount of overspray "dust" on the screen in my then-apartment bedroom window, which I simply removed with my vacuum cleaner.

The Pace uses a HEPA grade corrugated home HVAC filter, and when fresh, that filter passes the air with quite a bit of force. For those living in apartments, it is critical to avoid leaving any permanent "stains" behind from our hobby work. I have found that with the exception of the little bit of dried overspray dust that the rather primitive Badger unit left on the window screen, I've never had any permanent discoloration of anything either inside or outside of my apartments--and even more importantly, using those spray booths has prevented any complaints from neighboring apartments as to the smell of paint, or any overspray dust. In the bargain, my Pace is literally conversation quiet--step out of the room, you can't even hear the thing run.

Art

I'm glad that works for you Art.

If I step out of the room I can't hear my Homemade Paint Booth either.

I don't live in an apartment so I've built my Paint Booths with a little more power than those "commercially available hobby booths"

I paint every day or night so adding in needless filters would only take up time and as I said, impede air flow.

I use only House Of Kolor Automotive Paints and it appears from your post and some others that they must be using water based or waterborne paints, Big big difference.

Art it doesn't look like you are posting just to "change someones mind". I'm sure your experiences are genuine, just as the years and years I've spent using Homemade Paint Booths and teaching others how to build their own.

If it works for you that is all that is important.

I just put the info out there for people to run with.

CadillacPat

I have a tiny spare bedroom in my house that I use as a hobby room. There's one window that opens on the front of the house. If I add a spray booth in there, how can I "filter" the vented air? I don't want to ruin the siding on the house as it's white over red....with the window in the white area. BTW: I have a Harbor Freight booth

Thanks!

Almost all commercially-available spray booths include a filter to capture the overspray. As long as you use a quality filter, almost all of the overspray will be trapped by the filter, and very little, if any, will make it past the filter and to the outside. By the time the overspray gets past the filter (if any at all), it's already dry and is nothing more than colored "dust." It'll wash right off the house with a spray from the hose.

Based on Art's comments and Harry's comments I find myslef curious about the distinction between the particals of pigment which would be trapped by the filter in a decent booth and the vapors which would most likely pass onwards into the air. Is this an important reason to vent to the outer atmosphere?

Based on Art's comments and Harry's comments I find myslef curious about the distinction between the particals of pigment which would be trapped by the filter in a decent booth and the vapors which would most likely pass onwards into the air. Is this an important reason to vent to the outer atmosphere?

Yes Bernard,

I think that was in my first reply.

CadillacPat

Exactly. You want to vent the fumes to the outside, and also trap the solids (the paint overspray) in the filter. It's important that the vapors are vented OUT of the paint room and to the outdoors, not just run through a paper filter and recirculated into the same room, because the filter does not trap the toxic fumes. That's why the vent must be open to the outdoors. Theoretically you don't even need the filter; as long as you're venting the fumes to the outside, you're ok. But unfiltered, the overspray will tend to settle around the vent opening and make a bit of a mess, so having a paper filter in the vented airflow is a good idea.

the first big misconception I am seeing here is that airbrush booths are designed to eliminate fumes... that is not generally true

tho a booth obviously helps draw fumes out by default.. the primary purpose of a booth is to capture overspray.

unless you have an industrial system installed in your hobby room , you will not eliminate all the odor of building/spraying models ..it's important to realize... that's not the main object of any hobby airbrush booth.

my airbrush booth is in a closet in a small spare bedroom, I ran my duct down thru the floor and out a foundation vent ( I have a crawlspace rather than a basement).

because I have laminate "wood" flooring, the hole in the closet floor is easily repaired/replaced in the future.

the fact that the air duct from the booth goes down and out has a benefit .. I really don't need to add additional filters or have a really strong fan .

I have a piece of window screen over the duct to keep out any creepy crawlys,,and the duct has a sliding door in it too keep out any cold(or hot) air drafts from outside.

however you can still tell when I'm spraying when you walk by the hobby room....tho it's very tolerable it's a part of building models

Edited by scalenut

the first big misconception I am seeing here is that airbrush booths are designed to eliminate fumes... that is not generally true

tho a booth obviously helps draw fumes out by default.. the primary purpose of a booth is to capture overspray.

unless you have an industrial system installed in your hobby room , you will not eliminate all the odor of building/spraying models ..it's important to realize... that's not the main object of any hobby airbrush booth.

my airbrush booth is in a closet in a small spare bedroom, I ran my duct down thru the floor and out a foundation vent ( I have a crawlspace rather than a basement).

because I have laminate "wood" flooring, the hole in the closet floor is easily repaired/replaced in the future.

the fact that the air duct from the booth goes down and out has a benefit .. I really don't need to add additional filters or have a really strong fan .

I have a piece of window screen over the duct to keep out any creepy crawlys,,and the duct has a sliding door in it too keep out any cold(or hot) air drafts from outside.

however you can still tell when I'm spraying when you walk by the hobby room....tho it's very tolerable it's a part of building models

If you are AirBrushing correctly, overspray is minimal.

Even water based and waterborne paints contain harmful vapors, my automotive brands certainly require proper outside venting of paint fumes.

These are not misconceptions.

Scalenut, you say you don't need a large fan, but just how are you venting the air, or are you sitting in the closet with all those fumes.

Power is the key to pulling air through a Paint Booth and the more the better.

CadillacPat