Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Scale 1967 Corvette Coupe (Monogram) (COMPLETE!)

Jdurg

First color coat is on and drying. Body work came out beautiful. Just need to pray that there are no issues with the final assembly. Will post a photo once the final clear coat is applied and polished out, and the headlights are installed. (The preliminary checks on the installation show that they will work great. They didn't come out spot on perfect, but it's the best I could do at the moment.).

Another quick little update here. I got the second, and what looks to be final, clear coat on the second headlight assembly as well as the second color coat on the body. I appear to be done with the color basecoat application now. The first clear coat went on the body as well. It cured pretty quickly and therefore has a lot of orange peel on it, but since I plan on putting MANY more clearcoats over the top it doesn't really concern me too much. The plan, like I did with the hood, is to put down two clear coats, smooth them out via wet-sanding and rubbing compound, apply the decal to the nose, let that dry for a good few days, apply a light clear coat, let it dry, apply a wetter clear coat, let it dry and cure then use wet-sanding and rubbing compound to remove any other orange peel, take a black Sharpie marker and go over the black part of the decal to provide uniformity with the hood (as I was forced to use black sharpie on that to fix a decal issue), let that dry and then go and put a final wet clear coat on.

With the final clear coat on it will cure for a week or so (even though a couple of days is fine, I want to be super sure), then use progressively finer grades of rubbing compound and polishing compound in order to bring out a high gloss sheen like my first headlight bucket and my hood now have.

I've got three pictures to show off. First is one of the four finished wheels attached to the car. If I go ahead and make a convertible version in the future, I'd de-chrome the wheels, spray an aluminum colored lacquer to it, let it dry, then do what I did with the chrome kit wheels; take flat black acrylic paint and brush it over the entire wheel, then using a damp rag wipe off the excess from the raised area and the exterior ring and the hub. I then used a toothpick to carefully rub away the paint from areas it shouldn't be. Painted the center area with the red acrylic paint I used to paint the red-lines on the tires, and again used a toothpick to clean it up. I finally used a fine toothpick to paint the black Chevy Bow-Tie in the center of the wheel. Just need to finish up the valve stems and apply them to the wheels.

The second one is a view from the top showing the headlight buckets resting in place. I haven't permanently affixed them yet (that will come when I am preparing for final assembly), but wanted to get a test to see how they fit in there and if any paint needs to be carefully scraped from areas. The gaps around the edges are fairly large, but this is the first time I have EVER tried something like this so I think it's acceptable. The body, as mentioned earlier, had its first clear coat on there which has been lightly sanded and rubbing compound used to take away the roughness resulting from the first clear. I did it very lightly as I didn't want to sand down to the color layer and I know that I will be putting on MANY more clear coats later on so with a thicker layer of clear gloss on the body I can be a tad bit more aggressive with the sanding/buffing.

The final pick is a view of the headlights in place in the raised position. They aren't perfect. The spacing between the lights on the driver's side bucket isn't the same as that on the passenger's side. But it's too late to correct that now and again, this is the first time I've ever tried doing anything like this so this is good enough for me. Still need to get the concave part of the lights painted silver, the plastic lens cut out of a CD case cover, and the black ring and plastic lens installed into the headlight assembly. The front grill was washed using black paint and I think it looks pretty good to me. The license plate frame was from the Model Car Garage photo-etch set, and the plate itself was printed on Testor's White Decal paper here at home. I found a 1967 era Connecticut License plate pattern and put my own license plate numbers on there (hence why it's blurred out in the photo :D ). The rear license plate is the same but with the registration sticker on it too. Kind of makes the Corvette look like it's a car I would have had my whole life if I was around back in 1967 and bought it then.

img0421jw.jpg

img0424ms.jpg

img0423t.jpg

This is looking really great Justin. B)

The effort you are putting forward into the finer details will really pay off in the end mate, excellent work. :)

I'm kinda partial to that shade of green you used too, it seems to just suit so well. Keeping that in my think bank for later on. ;)

Thanks for sharing mate.

Thank you for the kind words. I love the green as well. Yes, the two 12 ounce spray cans of the Goodwood Green Metallic cost about $38 total, but the expense is well worth it as the paint is super sturdy, dries really quickly, and is a spot on perfect match with the real car.

Today I went and got my second coat of clear on the body and ran into a nasty little issue. Just as I was finishing up my second coat, the can started to sputter and fizz around where the nozzle meets the metal can. A few seconds later and a fountain of clear was spraying out of the can into the air. A defective product, and the second such defective can I've gotten from automotivetouchup.com. Thankfully, the first time this happened they replaced the can no questions asked. I'm hoping they'll do the same here as some of the spatter got onto the clear coat and I'll need to rub that out. I'll also need to put on the decal for the front nose stripe and add a couple of clears over that. Something is definitely funky with their manufacturing process with the clear coats. I haven't had any issues with the primer or base colors I've purchased from them (and I've purchased quite a few), but their customer service is really good and the first time I had the issue they rush delivered a new can to me. On the bright side, this will give me plenty of time to let the existing clear coats fully cure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Sorry I've been so "slow" with my posts in this thread. The project went on a temporary hold when the last can of Clear Gloss Coat I had from automotivetouchup.com had a manufacturing defect which caused the paint to literally fountain out of the can. I called up the company and they were VERY apologetic and immediately shipped out a replacement can. I have to say, this is the second time I've had a defective Gloss Clear Coat aerosol can from them, but each time they have immediately sent out a replacement. I LOVE the clear coat from them, and even if every other can of Clear I buy from them has the same defect, I know that their customer service is top notch and their product is the absolute best. The replacement will arrive tomorrow, and with the weather looking good for the rest of this week I should be able to get the final clear coat on the body this week. That means I'm very close to finishing this thing. The only thing I can hope is that a potential surgery in my future doesn't negate my work. I had a roommate move in back in May and while moving some furniture around I felt a sharp pain in my left groin. I figured it was just a strain and did nothing about it. The sharp pain has been there ever since then, and only recently did it start causing issues again. So I'll be getting an MRI in the next few weeks and then need to decide if I want to go through physical therapy or surgery to correct it. So I may be a bit slower, if that's possible, with my updates.

Regardless, this is still turning out great and I LOVE how the headlights are turning out. Can't wait to finish this thing. :)

Just wanted to post a photo of the main body after I had applied Bare Metal Foil to the trim, and put on the final clear coat for the body. I'm AMAZED by how it has turned out. Tomorrow, once the clear coat has had 24 hours of curing, I will apply some rubbing compound and various grades of polishing compound to level off the little bit of orange peel that is on there. It looks incredible. I am so happy with how this turned out. Below is a photo of the body as it sits on a tall can of truck bed liner that I had taped the body to when applying the clear coat. Tomorrow I'll get to install the headlights permanently, and hope to get the body attached to the chassis later tomorrow night. My back and hernia issue are still bothering me, but this model is helping me forget the pain and discomfort. I'm really happy with how this has turned out.

Yes, I am a bit upset that the headlights didn't turn out perfect, but this is still a great build by my standards. The finished product is coming up soon. I'm just deciding if I want to keep the chrome plated front and rear bumpers, or remove the chrome and paint it the silver chrome trim MM paint that I have. Based on the mold lines and the issues with the kit plated chrome, I'll likely do the MM silver chrome trim paint just to keep things consistent. I'm REALLY happy with the bare metal foil I applied. And the wet coat of Gloss Clear over the top of it will allow me to buff out the paint job without worry of it lifting. I can see the end, and I'm very happy. :D (The photo below was taken in my living room where I have had to temporarily put my work spot due to my renovation of the work room upstairs into an office so I can work from home in the job I recently applied for).

img0426pc.jpg

Edit: I decided to de-chrome the bumpers and side molding and use the MM Silver Chrome Trim paint to keep everything consistent. I will not be able to do the Silver Chrome Trim on the wheels as those are already painted, but I'll live with it. The BMF Chrome Trim on the window molding has the same type of coloring and sheen as the MM Silver Chrome Trim paint, so I think this will match better. There are still some items that will have the kit plated chrome, but I'll just have to deal with that. At this point, I'm just happy with how the paint came out (and again, I will FULLY support www.automotivetouchup.com for their selection of paint colors and customer service), and my first ever attempt at body modification came out satisfactory to me. Those are the headlights I cut out). In the future, I will plan on doing another of these kits, but cut the roof off and make it a convertible. That will be many years in the future as I need to conserve finances right now, and model building has really helped me beat some nasty "issues" that I brought upon myself years ago but do not want to get into detail right now. I'm just happy at how incredible this is turning out. :D

Edited by Jdurg

The end is near! I rubbed out the final clear coat, and while there is still some orange peel present, it's close enough for my tastes. The headlights have been permanently intstalled, and the photos below show them in the raised position. I also got the emblems attached to the body and the rear work done. The front and rear bumpers are still undergoing the silver painting, but it's looking REALLY good right now. Cant' wait to finish this.

img0430rt.jpg

img0429qi.jpg

img0428oz.jpg

img0427n.jpg

Thanks guys! Went out today and got some silver spray paint in order to properly paint the bumper pieces as the brush paint just left way too many brush strokes and an uneven finish. While there will be an issue with not all of the "chrome" parts having the same finish to them, I'll just have to deal with that as the work involved in getting everything to be the same sheen of silver would be way too much. Something to put on my list of "lessons learned" when I tackle this project again. (In the future, I do plan on doing a major conversion on this kit into a convertible so that I can reproduce the L89 Rally Red with Black Interior version of the car that is my dream car. That one would included opening headlights, opening doors, and an opening convertible hood with an actually expanding convertible top that I would make using self produced photo-etch metallic frame and fabric material).

But that build will be quite a while in the future. :D

Today I finished up this project. The paint job on the exterior has cured, I was able to wriggle the chassis into the body (Though this didn't go quite so well as planned and some fit problems arose making it not look perfect from underneath (as one of the exhaust pipes didn't match up with the engine due to the fit issues, but I don't notice it when it's being displayed so I don't care), and I got all the exterior trim on. This one is now finished and proudly sitting on top of my cable box in my living room right now for a temporary display spot. Now here's the pictures.

img0432uo.jpg

Overhead view of the engine bay.

img0436cw.jpg

Top view with the headlights down.

img0434r.jpg

View of the driver's side of the car.

img0433pl.jpg

Back view with my custom decal of my license plate numbers which I've blurred out of the photo.

img0435re.jpg

Front view with another of my custom license plate decals. This one has the headlights down.

img0437ke.jpg

And finally, another front view but this time with the headlights up.

I really enjoyed building this kit, and the paint job turned out amazing. It's rock hard and took the polish so very well. I am quite please with it. My first attempt at some true body work scratch building and it worked. In the future, I will likely build this kit again, but instead of as a coupe I'll chop it and turn it into a convertible with opening convertible hatch, properly functioning convertible top (which I'll be able to make out of fabric and custom made photo-etch hardware), and working headlights again. This time, I'll cut them out a bit better and ensure that the headlights on each side are the same size. Thanks for watching!

That looks great! You should take it outside and get some outside pics!

Thanks Dave! Without your assistance in sending me those tail-lights, I never would have been able to finish it. Taking it outside for a photo is a great idea. I'll just need to wait until after I've cleared the insane amount of tree leaves off of my driveway once they get a chance to dry out. Sandy dumped a bunch of tree leaves and junk all over my place. Thankfully, there was no damage and I got my power back shortly after it went out.

Justin, that ended up just super mate. B) GREAT work!

And yes...as David asked, some outdoor shots would be great to see how that awesome colour really looks. :) Well done man.

For sure! The Goodwood Green Metallic will look amazing in the sunlight. I'm VERY happy with the way the paint job came out. So happy I found this site that sells the paint in aerosol cans and they are happy to hear that it works on scale model cars. It's incredible here in the inside lights. Once I get a chance to clear out my driveway (once the leaves have dried out a bit so I can remove them) I'll bring the car outside and take some photos. As it is right now, and pictures can't do it justice, it's remarkable.

Thank you so much for the kind words. Makes the whole post here worth it. :D

What happened to all the pictures? All I see are question marks.

I've got the images held on imageshack.us so I wonder if their server was temporarily down for a bit. I can still see them and can see them at the imageshack.us site, and they are all set to public viewing. I'd try reloading the pages again and see if they show up. May just be a temporary thing.

• 2 months later...

Looks great. What is the wheelbase measurement(center of front wheel to center of rear whee) on this corvette?

Also does anyone know the wheebase measurement of the 1/12 monogram camaro kit?

Edited by spiderx