Model Cars Magazine Forum

5-axle 1/16 Wrecker

Last year I started a 1/16-scale 5-axle wrecker, abandoned the project for various reasons, and sold all the parts. Life is a little better now so I'm starting again from scratch. It's a little over 30"-long as it sits so it'll be a bit longer once the wrecker body hangs over the tail end. I'll keep you guys posted on the build. :)

gallery_11866_1019_69150.jpggallery_11866_1019_94919.jpggallery_11866_1019_121770.jpg

Choices are obviously limited in 1/16. My original plan was a Peterbilt but now I've decided to go with a Kenworth and maybe upgrade the W900 a bit. I did a 4-axle 1/16 Pete years ago (pics below) but I wanted to take things to the next level. I'm trying to hunt down an Aerodyne sleeper top but if I can't find one I'll make it a flat top. Here's the Peterbilt I made about 10 years ago...

gallery_11866_1019_34871.jpggallery_11866_1019_5137.jpg

Mike, nice start! Did you make the tires on the steer and lift axle?

Thanks guys! The lift axle tires are rubber ones that I got off Ebay. They're more of a super-single tire, about 1-3/8"-wide, so I figured they'd work well. For the front hi-float tires the kit tires are too narrow and the rubber super-single ones are too wide, so I basically spliced a couple of kit tires together to make a float tire that's a hair under 1"-wide. The wheels for both the lift axle and front are a combination of front and rear kit wheels, modified to acquire the width I needed.

Ten West's 5-axle wrecker doesn't have a sleeper, mine will, and mine will probably have a longer wrecker body. I don't know how practical a wrecker as long as this would be in the real world, but I really don't care. That's the fun of model building, things don't have to be exactly as they would in real life, they just have to look cool! B):lol:

"Cool" is the word, Baby.....I'm with you, there.....Can't say I really care if it would be "practical" in the real world.....I've owned many a Hot Wheel that has never been built for real.... :D And you, definitely, don't have to worry about front axle lift.....

Edited by kilrathy10

• 1 month later...

No updated pics, but I've decided to switch it from a Kenworth to a Peterbilt. For some reason after looking at more 1:1 wrecker pics on the web the Pete's just look tougher. Now I have to consider whether I want to extend the 359 kit hood or not.

• 4 weeks later...