Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pair of 8V71T Detroit Engines

Whilst building the 352 Pacemaker and the 359 I kept moving the engine parts around the box to get access to the parts I wanted for the truck builds. I thought why not build the engines and then they are out of the way and ready for some future truck builds. Tim has some great reference photo's on his web site some in black and white show the cab of a 352 tilted giving access to the Detroit Engine. The engine is an 8V71T with the turbocharged mounted at the right rear. So I decided to build one engine for a COE truck and one for a conventional.

http://www.fotki.com'>Hosted on Fotki

http://www.fotki.com'>Hosted on Fotki

The fans and pulleys are not yet glued in place and there's still some weathering to do. But I will wait until they are installed to finish them off. Thanks for looking.

Edited by Old Albion

Many thanks for the comments.

Ben,

I must admit I had never seen that turbo configuration either. That was until I found four or five black and white photo's of the engine fitted into a 352 on Tim's website. I tried to find the photo's again but couldn't. If you check out the details of Tim's web page "why Peterbilt paint the engines white" you will see some Detroits with the same turbo configuration. I don't know if the configuration was unique to Peterbilt or it was a standard on offer from DD.