Model Cars Magazine Forum

Xonex Schwinn Orange Krate

Harry P.

Another cool Xonex diecast in 1/6 scale. They did the whole "Krate" line... Orange Krate, Apple Krate, Lemon Peeler, etc. Again, like with my 1903 HD, all I added was some detail paint. The "chain" drive works through the pedals, the seat shock absorbers really work.

krate3_zps56269562.jpg

krate2_zps61141f25.jpg

kraye1_zps977177ac.jpg

i had one in junior high, metallic blue with the shifter, etc... loved that thing, it was so much easier to ride than the big Schwinn 26" i got from my Dad. both of them got sold in the early '80's when i was in the Navy.

You couldn't have had a blue Orange Krate. They didn't come in blue.

But Harry, does the derailleur work?

MPC did make an 1/8 scale Sting Ray kit and a Continental road bike.

My best buddy in Junior High school had a paper route and bought an Apple Krate. I was so jealous. I had a hand me down 20" bike. My parents got me some high rise handlebars but they said no to a banana seat. I was so deprived!!!! :(

I had a hand me down 20" bike. My parents got me some high rise handlebars but they said no to a banana seat. I was so deprived!!!! :(

Same here. My parents wouldn't buy me a Krate. Not even a plain old Stingray. I had a "regular" bike. :(

Remember them as a kid when I was aound 10 yrs of age at the local Schwinn dealer down town Antigo, WI. I got a Gambles 20" bike red in color(no shifter, no buckhorn handle bars no small front wheel, no banana seat) and just a plain bike that mom and dad could aford.

my friends and I made our sting rays into offroad bikes and rode down Mt Tamalpais before there were any mountain bikes! this was about 65 or so when my dad was stationed in Marin county California right at the dawn of the grateful dead culture in the area. used to ride around Olimpali park before it was a park and when the dead lived there in a commune after leaving the Haight Ashbury district of San Francisco. Stingrays and Hobie skateboards with clay wheels that stopped dead when they encountered a pebble in the road. used to ride those things down the mountain as well.

jb