Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Ford Thunderbird Sports Roadster

YBlock292

I have been working on a 1962 Ford Thunderbird Sports Roadster (AMT) for a couple of weeks - with interruptions. Concerning the tinted windshield I have developed a new way to make it look more realistc. I hope You agree with me that the windshield looks good now with this narrow color-stripe which fades into the rest of the glass.

img_6605chpn0.jpg

Body paint is pure red by Tamiya which is so shiny that I did not have to polish it.

Thank You!

First I masked the windshield and sprayed two thin layers "Tamiya Smoke" on the non masked part. After 5 minutes I removed the masking tape and put on three or four very thin layers of "Tamya Clear Blue" trying only to hit the "smoke"-colored stripe but without masking the rest of the "glass".

Thin mist from the spray can on the lower part of the screen was removed with Meguiars (car) wax on a piece of cloth which I usually use for polishing and which does not harm the windshield.

Ludwig

FYI, "bullet" Birds are painted body color under the hood area, the inner fenders, etc. should be red. The firewall is covered with black undercoating up to the seam below the cowl. The radiator support is painted semi-gloss black on the front side so as not to show body color through the grille. I also don't understand why AMT included "wide" whitewalls, the 62s had 1" whites.

Looks really good! Windshield tint works!