Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Deuce "Woody"

Flatout

This is my 1st large scale model, it was built as a retirement gift for a coworker/friend over a 4 week period. Started with the latest edition of the "Big Deuce"...cut roadster body at the cowl/door line, drew up plans for the wood panels, panels were built by another friend from Koa and Pine, scatched up a winshield frame and attached/blended the frame to the cowl, then built the rest out 'da box. Thanks for lookin'...

Aloha...Pete

DSC03434800x600-vi.jpg

DSC03435800x600-vi.jpg

DSC03437800x600800x600-vi.jpg

DSC03442800x600-vi.jpg

Edited by Flatout

Dave, that looks to be the very rare Murray-bodied Model B station wagon.

Most Ford station wagons did not have those slide-down curtains. Even as late as the Model B's, most Fords had snap in curtains like the Model A and '33 Fords depicted below, or aftermarket rolled canvass curtains afixed inside the body near the roof.

It wasn't until the advent of steel-bodied station wagons that glass windows were available. I'm no mid-30's Ford expert, but the earliest example I could readily find with fixed glass rear side windows and crank-up glass door windows is 1938.

1929_Ford_Model_A_Woody_Station_Wagon-July14a.jpg

1933-Ford-V8-Woody-Station-.png

B)

Dave, that looks to be the very rare Murray-bodied Model B station wagon.

B)

Danno - you are probably correct, I didn't research this particular car, just fell in love with it at this year's Wavecrest show!

That car just grabbed me and when the side curtain question came up I remembered the the "roll-ups" on this one.

You know my love for Woodies if you've looked through my albums - I'll shoot anything with a wood body!

Tell me more about the Murray Bodied wagons.

Dave,

Some detailed info, borrowed from Coachbuilt.com, explains it better than I can:

"Prior to 1929, all of Ford’s station wagons were produced by custom body shops such as Cantrell, York-Hoover, Waterloo and others utilizing chassis purchased from independent Ford dealers. Ford decided to provide a factory station wagon for the new Model A, marking the first time a manufacturer mass-produced a station wagon on their own assembly line. Murray produced 4,954 examples of Ford's new $695 Model 150-A Station Wagon in 1929.

The following year, A new body style, the 150-B, was introduced and the contract was split between Murray and Baker-Raulang in Cleveland, Ohio. Murray was swamped with other Ford projects so Baker-Raulang built the lion's share of the 6,363 Model 150-B bodies built in 1930-1931.

1932 Ford Model B station wagon bodies were all built by Baker-Raulang, as Murray was still overwhelmed with bodywork destined for the new 1932 Ford."

However, Murray tried ... and a few Murray-bodied station wagons were built on Model B chassis. The problem is, exact production figures are elusive.

The next excerpt is from a gallery of images of a specific, documented Model B (also from Coachbuild.com):

Murray_Ford_Model_B_Station_Wagon_1932_01.jpg

"The following year, A new body style, the Model B, was introduced and the contract was split between Murray and Baker-Raulang in Cleveland, Ohio. Old-growth hardwood was sourced from Ford's own Iron Mountain forest, and Murray, in turn, farmed out the elaborate millwork to Mengel Body Company in Louisville, Kentucky. Murray was swamped with other Ford projects so Baker-Raulang built the lion's share of the 6,363 Model B bodies, making the Murray-bodied Model B in this gallery a very rare example."

Murray_Ford_Model_B_Station_Wagon_1932_02.jpg

The example you photographed seems to be identical in woodworking details and hardware, indicating common genesis with this wagon. And, if you look closely at the underside of its roof, you can see reflections from the plastic windows of the slide-up side curtains, just like the one you photographed; and, you can see the slanted slide tracks in the vertical door posts. The slide-up 'windows' were a feature not included on the Baker-Raulang wagons, as they had snap-on side curtains.

Both of these wagons are beautiful indeed, and Pete's model is exceptional! It appears more inspired by a Baker-Raulang wagon, as evidenced by the lack of slide-ups, the square window framing and the details of the body framing in general. Look at the rear doors ahead of the rear fender kicks to see a noticeable difference in Baker-Raulang and Murray bodies.

This is fun. I feel just like Art! B)

Edited by Danno

I wonder why they have it identified as a '30 ... that's clearly a '29 cowl, hood, and radiator shell. Of course, they also have the bumper bar clamp/medallions in the wrong position, too. Curious but very nice looking anyway! Love those old woodies. And love those Model As!!!

B)

• 3 weeks later...

CAN YOU SELL US THE PLANS FOR THE WOOD WORK?, I HAVE A LOT OF 1/8 32 FORD KITS I CAN CONVERT!! PLEASE P.M. ME! NOW IF WE COULD JUST GET REVELL/MONOGRAM TO RELEASE A WOODY BODY FOR THE 32 FORD IN1/8 SCALE, ALONG WITH HARRY'S SUPERBIRD IN1/8TH SCALE!!!! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!