Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 ford street rod finished! 7.17.13

streetmachine11

started this project today. got this kit from my club for 2 bucks. it was a paint bomb lol but after the dip in purple power here is what i had started with....

20120818_120452.jpg

20120818_120509.jpg

got as far as opening up the doors and trunk and thinned down all the parts. also made the door jambs and trunk ledge.

20120818_183125.jpg

20120818_183133.jpg

20120818_183107.jpg

and a quick mock up. note: it just setting together :)

20120818_183246.jpg

20120818_183330.jpg

20120818_183349.jpg

20120818_183358.jpg

20120818_183409.jpg

still need to make the jamb on the door side and the hinges for the doors and trunk. also gonna atempt latches and strikers for the hood, doors and trunk. overall made some pretty decent progress today :lol:

comments and ideas welcome!

thanks for looking

jason

Edited by streetmachine11

kudos for opening the doors but that's only half of the job. the doors are roughly the same thickness almost from the door handle down, not the full width of the space between the tub and body. i've done one with opening doors and trunk and you can separate the sides of the tub from the floor, fill the gap and get more scale appearing doors with not much more effort than you have so far.

opening the doors on kits with "tub" interiors usually results in problems with door/quarter thickness due to the draft needed for molding the tub.

the AMT '49 is one of the kits i've built many, MANY times... love it. easy to work with and modify.

kudos for opening the doors but that's only half of the job. the doors are roughly the same thickness almost from the door handle down, not the full width of the space between the tub and body. i've done one with opening doors and trunk and you can separate the sides of the tub from the floor, fill the gap and get more scale appearing doors with not much more effort than you have so far.

opening the doors on kits with "tub" interiors usually results in problems with door/quarter thickness due to the draft needed for molding the tub.

the AMT '49 is one of the kits i've built many, MANY times... love it. easy to work with and modify.

if you widen the interior tub to make the door jambs more realistic, did you have to widen the rear seat to match the interior tub?

thanks for the tip!

jason

thanks for all the feedback everyone!

i have got a few small things done today. mostly been working on the trunk getting the inner bracing, latch and striker done.

rob, thanks for the tip on the rear axle. doing that may get me the look im going for. yours looks killer with the shaved parts man :D

jhon, i really like the looks of your ride. verry clean and well done. also like that door latch :)

you have to add small wedges to the rear seat bottom edge. replace the front seat with a reworked Lindberg '53 Ford unit, or make side panels that widen the base of the seat from the kit. the actual 1:1 seat tapers inward towards the top, instead of widening as the kit seat does. there's virtually no inner structure in the trunk, so closing the top of the fuel tank and adding a trunk mat will do the trick there. making accurate '49-'50 trunk hinges will be difficult, as they're mounted on the surface. i built mine as a '51 so internal hinges work out. sealing the floorpan to the body once you're done will duplicate the way the actual body looks on the frame, oddly enough...

i built mine with the floorpan in place and cut the transmission crossmember loose so i could install the engine after the body was painted. i've found that i should add two small pieces under the rear quarters to represent the rear body braces from working on my 1:1 shoebox.... actually, if i wanted to go nuts i could add dozens of little details that AMT left out in '62.....

you have to add small wedges to the rear seat bottom edge. replace the front seat with a reworked Lindberg '53 Ford unit, or make side panels that widen the base of the seat from the kit. the actual 1:1 seat tapers inward towards the top, instead of widening as the kit seat does. there's virtually no inner structure in the trunk, so closing the top of the fuel tank and adding a trunk mat will do the trick there. making accurate '49-'50 trunk hinges will be difficult, as they're mounted on the surface. i built mine as a '51 so internal hinges work out. sealing the floorpan to the body once you're done will duplicate the way the actual body looks on the frame, oddly enough...

i built mine with the floorpan in place and cut the transmission crossmember loose so i could install the engine after the body was painted. i've found that i should add two small pieces under the rear quarters to represent the rear body braces from working on my 1:1 shoebox.... actually, if i wanted to go nuts i could add dozens of little details that AMT left out in '62.....

62rebel, thanks for all the information on the 49. i am going to wedge the tub and get the jambs thinned down. i think i might use some bucket seats for this rod and i have plated over the gas tank and spare tire holder as the spare will be moved to a differnt area. the hinges on the trunk are shaved so ill make a more traditional hinge.

jason

You are making this look too easy! I also love this kit, having opened the doors and trunk on one I know it's not an easy task but, fun. The end result on yours will be killer, I can tell by the amount of detail so far. The inner structure on the trunk lid looks spot on. I'll be watching!

thanks everyone for all the kind words! im really enjoying this kit.

dan, originally i was going to lay the spare down flat between the wheel tubs. but now i thhink i may have found a tire that fits the original location. if it does, i will open that back up.

mark, the green on the steelies is the color the car will be. the color itself is what inspired the build in the first place! lol ive had the kit for a while but never knew what to do with it. when i came across that green for some reason this kit and some wide whites were the first thing to pop in my head

thanks again and comments/ideas are always welcome!

jason

been making some good progress on this one. got the interior tub cut and widened to fix the door jambs

20120826_122830.jpg

door jambs finished and primered

20120826_124011.jpg

body sanded and primered

20120826_123856.jpg

20120826_123907.jpg

firewall and inner fenders sanded smooth and shaved

got the stance finalized. and some mock up shots

20120826_130410.jpg

20120826_130453.jpg

20120826_130524.jpg

radiator support smoothed as well