Model Cars Magazine Forum

Forum Troubleshooting - Picture Problems w/Internet Explorer? Look Here

Sixx

Really...go to photobucket.com, set up a free account, put your photos there, and have at it. You get to load a LOT more pix than you do by using the "basic" upload function on this board, and it's FREE. Pretty easy to use too, and automatically re-sizes your photos for forums. Did I say it's free?

And the way it looks the basic way didn't work either!

I have the same problem with "advanced" but basic works fine if you upload each file by itself - I know it's a hassle, but it's better than trying to set up an external account! ;)

And...just in case you're running Internet Explorer as your web browser and you're having problems with photo uploads, check out this thread http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81824 ...or just download a free copy of Google Chrome of Firefox and forget about IE. Problem solved. :)

I have the same problem with "advanced" and I'm using Firefox!

I have the same problem with "advanced" but basic works fine if you upload each file by itself - I know it's a hassle, but it's better than trying to set up an external account! ;)

I have the same problem with "advanced" and I'm using Firefox!

Only problem with uploading directly from your files to the forum is that you have limited space available to you.

After you've posted for a while, you'll find that you have to go back & begin deleting old posts to make room for new ones.

A much bigger hassle than setting up a Photobucket account.

Once you have a photo hosting site that you can use for posting photos from, you have unlimited space for postings, & much larger photos as well.

Really, setting up a Photobucket, or like account is not difficult. If this 53 year old computer illiterate dunce can do it, anyone can! :)

& yes, in my opinion, dump the Internet Explorer & get Firefox.

I had problems right off the bat with IE with my new computer. Firefox took care of all of those issues.

Steve

Only problem with uploading directly from your files to the forum is that you have limited space available to you.

After you've posted for a while, you'll find that you have to go back & begin deleting old posts to make room for new ones.

A much bigger hassle than setting up a Photobucket account.

Once you have a photo hosting site that you can use for posting photos from, you have unlimited space for postings, & much larger photos as well.

Really, setting up a Photobucket, or like account is not difficult. If this 53 year old computer illiterate dunce can do it, anyone can! :)

I had problems right off the bat with IE with my new computer. Firefox took care of all of those issues.

Steve

All 100% correct. Another little problem with loading pix directly from your computer or other device is that, far as I can tell, visitors to the forum can't see them unless they're logged in. I'll bypass posts that have invisible photos if I'm in a hurry and just want to see who's been doing what, quickly. I've missed some nice work for weeks that way, but it's too much hassle on MY end to log in every time I visit the site.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I just checked my "gallery" and I'm using 4.8mb of "unlimited" space - won't have to delete anything here.

Also, how do you delete content here? You can't even delete an "album" in the gallery!

I have been using Firefox for years, and as I mentioned in my post, Firefox did not cure my "advanced" upload bugs...

I just checked my "gallery" and I'm using 4.8mb of "unlimited" space - won't have to delete anything here.

Also, how do you delete content here? You can't even delete an "album" in the gallery!

That's what I thought too.

Eventually I began to notice that the photos I was allowed to load onto the site were getting smaller & smaller until I ultimately was not able to post any photos anymore.

Then I had to go back & delete photos to make room for new ones.

As the moderators say, "This is not a photo hosting site".

There is a limit to each members available space.

Steve

That's what I thought too.

Eventually I began to notice that the photos I was allowed to load onto the site were getting smaller & smaller until I ultimately was not able to post any photos anymore.

Then I had to go back & delete photos to make room for new ones.

As the moderators say, "This is not a photo hosting site".

There is a limit to each members available space.

Does that also apply to The Gallery, where it plainly states "unlimited space"?

Just tried the "advanced loader" in Google Chrome - worked perfectly - still does not work in Firefox...

BTW, I'm not sure that "free" photo accounts are really free... I've heard that some of them are real sneaky - compressing the heck out of your files if they're deemed too large, which could very easily ruin them. Is anything really "free" anymore? :(

The problem with uploading photos to this site, is that these threads live on forever. So when you go and delete your photos to make room for more, all the photos on your old threads now have red Xs in them. That's the thing that bothers me most about this site.

If you get a photo account.... Photo Bucket, Fotki, Flicker etc, you can leave your picture there and your threads will be much more readable for the future!

BTW, I'm not sure that "free" photo accounts are really free... I've heard that some of them are real sneaky - compressing the heck out of your files if they're deemed too large, which could very easily ruin them. Is anything really "free" anymore? :(

Nothing's free, nothing ever was free. There's ALWAYS a hook in whatever is billed as "free". ALWAYS.

The "free" photo hosting sites make income by cramming advertising down your throat while you upload pix, and they sell data collected on users. Not necessarily personally-identifiable data (I don't get much incoming spam marketing crapp, ever), but data is now a commodity with a value. Use the AdBlock+ in Chrome, you don't see or hear the ads.

I get HUGE bandwidth (which has to do with how many folks actually LOOK at your pix, as opposed to how many pix you have stored there) for $2.99 / month. My bandwidth allotment was routinely running way over the "free" monthly limit when I used to put up a lot of WIPs on several sites and update them regularly, so I upgraded. Lotsa folks looking. Not so much now, but hey, I can afford $3 per month, you know? Just in case I get real motivated again. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Nothing's free, nothing ever was free. There's ALWAYS a hook in whatever is billed as "free". ALWAYS.

Agreed. People got this idea that the Internet was supposed to be free early on, when everyone was flush with venture capital and hoping to grab a mess of users. Paypal was initially free, and once it caught on, guess what? And most of us kept on using them.

I have Fotki paid accounts. Like Bill, I don't want to mess around with limited access, ads and such. For the Tri-State / NNL East account, we are always Fotki's most visited site right after the show. Dare we send everyone "Band width exceeded" messages? I think not. So it's worth paying a few dollars.

Note that Fotki has always had sales. When those opportunities arose, I'd re-up the club account and my personal account for the maximum term.. like five years worth. And on those sales it was something like $10-15 a year. Can't beat that.

• 1 month later...

I agree on using the paid accounts. I use Fotki also.

NOW! Has anyone had issues uploading photos to Fotki? I keep everything updated on my computer. The last few days I have been getting Security Alerts from Java and couldn't load photos.

After a few days of messing with it I did figure it out. Here is the alert. ........ Rats! I just tried loading this photo to Fotki and it failed again, had to add a third exception.

Security-vi.jpg

• Gregg unpinned this topic

Thanks Casey, I knew it was nothing to do with MCM but I know a lot of members here use Fotki.

I was surprised that no one else brought this up as it was quite the issue getting it to work. Fotki has several servers and you have to add each one as necessary.