Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

AMT '69 Corvair. It was available at a bargain price because it was missing a few parts (stock tires and stock exhaust). The car itself didn't attract me but I bought in case I want to build an entry for the 2017 GSL Group class.

Here are the rules:

This Class is intended to revive and celebrate vintage kits and building styles, and to celebrate the way models were built in the “good old days” by creating a low-key, fun and challenging forum for creative and enthusiastic building.

For GSL-XXVI, the “Group” kit is the 1969 Chevy Corvair. Entries may be built from any original or reissue release of the Round 2/AMT kit, in any style, with the skills and craftsmanship you have today, but using only parts, materials and supplies (except current putties, adhesives and paints) available 35 years ago (1982 or earlier). Entrants may use the newly re-issued Round 2 Corvair engine kit (AMTPP010) if desired. There are just three additional limitations: no one-off machined or photo-etched parts not fabricated entirely by the entrant; no aftermarket products not available in 1982 or earlier; and no resin bodies or resin body parts (regardless of who made these resin parts). Bare Metal Foil may be used.

Fourth through First Place Awards are selected by popular-vote ballot, and announced during the Awards Presentation on Sunday morning. No entry in this Class is eligible for any Master Award. A model entered here may not also be entered in another Class, but a builder may enter any number of 1956 Ford Victoria models in this Class.

http://www.gslchampionship.org/competition-principles/

- - -

What to do, what to do?

Man I wish I had a contest like that running near me. Those rules are pretty much the story of half or more of what I build. Would love to see them do it with the AMT '63-'67 Corvette family. I'd show 'em! :D

Scored this sealed (or resealed) GMC and some Spaz Stick at the LHS today. They must have purchased part of a collection or something. They also had the 72 stepside, a Mach Won, and an original AMT 62 Corvette. Some other stuff too, like the original Revell 240Z, original red, white and blue 53 Chevy panel truck POS that we all tried to build as kids.

IMG_20161126_155215262_HDR.jpg

Man I wish I had a contest like that running near me. Those rules are pretty much the story of half or more of what I build. Would love to see them do it with the AMT '63-'67 Corvette family. I'd show 'em! :D

Richard, it's the GSL in Salt Lake City!  Nearly everyone there has flown from different parts of the country.  You are invited.  You gotta do it at least once... 4 days... Absolute Disneyland for modelers.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Scored this sealed (or resealed) GMC and some Spaz Stick at the LHS today. They must have purchased part of a collection or something. They also had the 72 stepside, a Mach Won, and an original AMT 62 Corvette. Some other stuff too, like the original Revell 240Z, original red, white and blue 53 Chevy panel truck POS that we all tried to build as kids.

IMG_20161126_155215262_HDR.jpg

Steve...AWESOME score on the GMC kit...!   I built one as a kid loved it....very cool box art as well.

Bought these old boats last week.

Ive been thinking I want something to display behind a few of my old annuals. And I can picture a nice old boat being pulled with a big 1960 Bonneville  or 1959 Imperial for sure.

I'll probably just clean them up a bit , touch up a few spots and fix some loose pieces ,,,then in the case they go . I even like the box art to display in my family room.

Anyone happen to know about what year these were produced ?

s-l1600.jpg

Anyone happen to know about what year these were produced ?

The box in your pic is from the 1997 reissue, and both boats look like they are from that time period, too, judging by the still bright white color of the bare white plastic.

Steve...AWESOME score on the GMC kit...!   I built one as a kid loved it....very cool box art as well.

Me too, that's why I grabbed it for the reasonable sum of $15. I opened it when I got home. Glass is perfect. The white parts are stil in the original bag. The Gates tires are missing,  but I wasn't going to use them anyway. There are probably some in my parts box if I change my mind. Emblems and scripts are really light. This is going to be a challenge to foil.

Me too, that's why I grabbed it for the reasonable sum of $15. I opened it when I got home. Glass is perfect. The white parts are stil in the original bag. The Gates tires are missing,  but I wasn't going to use them anyway. There are probably some in my parts box if I change my mind. Emblems and scripts are really light. This is going to be a challenge to foil.

Man, that's an incredible find for $15! 

AMT '69 Corvair. It was available at a bargain price because it was missing a few parts (stock tires and stock exhaust). The car itself didn't attract me but I bought in case I want to build an entry for the 2017 GSL Group class.

Here are the rules:

This Class is intended to revive and celebrate vintage kits and building styles, and to celebrate the way models were built in the “good old days” by creating a low-key, fun and challenging forum for creative and enthusiastic building.

For GSL-XXVI, the “Group” kit is the 1969 Chevy Corvair. Entries may be built from any original or reissue release of the Round 2/AMT kit, in any style, with the skills and craftsmanship you have today, but using only parts, materials and supplies (except current putties, adhesives and paints) available 35 years ago (1982 or earlier). Entrants may use the newly re-issued Round 2 Corvair engine kit (AMTPP010) if desired. There are just three additional limitations: no one-off machined or photo-etched parts not fabricated entirely by the entrant; no aftermarket products not available in 1982 or earlier; and no resin bodies or resin body parts (regardless of who made these resin parts). Bare Metal Foil may be used.

Fourth through First Place Awards are selected by popular-vote ballot, and announced during the Awards Presentation on Sunday morning. No entry in this Class is eligible for any Master Award. A model entered here may not also be entered in another Class, but a builder may enter any number of 1956 Ford Victoria models in this Class.

http://www.gslchampionship.org/competition-principles/

- - -

What to do, what to do?

COOL!   A class limited to 1969 Corvairs but you 'may enter any number of 1956 Ford Victoria models in this Class.'   Who'd a thunk? 

What a buy..!  Wish i could get that lucky on one.  Yep the trim is very faint on them..shame cool truck....me being a factory stock guy mostly it would be stock if I found me one.  Good luck on the foiling work.

Got these recently.
2woc8yc.jpg

Alan, I've been using Meguiar's products on my 1:1 for 35 years and models for 20 years..Meguiar's cleaner or Scratch X2.0 then Gold Class paste to finish it off..Been having great results..What you've got is real good stuff too..You will never have to buy Novus products again..

Nice stands and a great purchase tom. Just beware that the top will come off the base if you turn it over. I was not happy when it happened to me. Just tape or glue the two parts together.

I have a couple of these too. Awesome stands, and yes....glue the two halves together. I found out the hard way when I flipped a freshly cleared body upside down to get the bottom edges that the halves will separate, at the worst possible moment. Also, I tape the crossbars on the stand to the inside of the body(doors) just to be safe.

David

Alan, I've been using Meguiar's products on my 1:1 for 35 years and models for 20 years..Meguiar's cleaner or Scratch X2.0 then Gold Class paste to finish it off..Been having great results..What you've got is real good stuff too..You will never have to buy Novus products again..

Thanks,being disabled I am not able to get around to check stuff so have to go with the flow...

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...