Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's Ford F350 pickups

mk11

Now that Round 2 has seen fit to reissue the highly coveted '78 Super Stones 4x4, we'll finally be able to get one at a decent price. I was looking at my Model King re-issue the other day and, as this is the pinnacle of the line, decided to lay it out for a review. Those with earlier 2wd editions might want to add pics of theirs as well so we can see the evolution of these as this edition does not include the optional topper, side pipes, chrome wheels and other accessories from the earlier releases.

We'll open this with a pic of the original Stones kit borrowed from the big auction site...

78amt150ss zpsf05fa8aa

Here's a pic of the model king reissue of it, with four fine examples built by mssrs Geiger, Wiseman, Goldman and Ahlborn...

hmmm...sounds like a law firm :blink:

P4243797

The following pics show what's in the model king kit...

P4193772

P4193775

P4193776

P4193788

The first thing evident in the MK kit is the lack of the original Firestone emblem on the tonneau cover. Other than that, it appears to be a straight reissue with Firestone branded tires (identical to the 'Commando' tires in the old Boondocker kit) supplied instead of the Desert Dogs pictured on the box. The basic 2wd suspension pieces are all included with an extra sprue tree engineered with the 4wd parts. These parts actually represent the F100 or F150 regular cab 4x4 front end setup and will need replacing with leaf springs to accurately model the heavier duty trucks.

Drivetrain is the same 390 4bbl C6 combo common to all issues of this truck (not the 460 as claimed on some boxes in this series). This would be inaccurate for the 77-79 trucks as it was replaced with the 351M & 400 engines in '77. Of course, the 300 six and 302 V8 were optional in these as well as the 460 in the 2wd trucks. Rep stock fans will want to do their research on the rest of the drivetrain, among other things, as the divorced np205 transfer case is accurate for the pre-77 trucks only and should be joined to the transmission on the newer ones.

The cab shows some dimensional inaccuracies relating to windshield height (too short) but AMT captured well the essence of the truck. The choice of F350 super camper special long wheelbase tooling by AMT is a strange one and will require major surgery on the box sides to correct if you want a normal looking truck.

1:1 pics for body proportion reference...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80383

...and a link to diecast 67-79 Ford pickups...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78552

mike

Edited by mk11

I believe Blue Oval Resin Works had a whole bunch of resin items for this body style truck, including all the different grilles, corrected 8' bed, a 6.5' bed, crew cab, visors, etc etc. No idea if he is still producing these, however.

We need a regular production 8' bed done in resin for this, any takers? ;)

I have done the conversion to standard wheelbase. The outer bed sides are done, but the inner bed sides are not. A caster has already expressed interest, so when I get these done, i'll send them to him. Short answer is, this is in the works. By the way, the bed sides have all the trim so they'll match the cab. The wheel well has been relocated and slightly reduced in size. (The Camper Special wheel well is larger and taller than standard, as well as being further back).

I built one of the test shots for Model King. My finished model is on the side of the box.

A few things about this kit. You are correct that the Firestone emblem is not on the bed cover. It was on the test shot but was removed for the Model King issue. It will be interesting to see if they re-engrave it for this issue.

Seeing that the steering wheel came in a separate bag tells me that it may have been missing from the tool and had to be recreated.

I had noticed on the test shot that the FORD lettering wasn't on the hood, nor were the side markers deliniated at all. I let Dave know and that's why they're on the decal sheet.

I had issues getting the transfer box to line up with the front axle so I left off the front drive shaft. I was under deadline to get the truck done, and it wouldn't show in the pictures. The transfer case had a faint mounting point. I'm not sure if the issue was me or the kit. Just mentioning it.

On the kit body, the windshield top is too low. If you cut the plastic up to the top molding line, it will look better and the kit glass will cover it. Then you'll need to score a new molding line.

A tip - If you want to build a short wheel base step side version, Ford used the same box for eons. The one from the AMT 1953 Ford pickup is the right one.

It is a neat kit. It will be interesting to see how the new Moebius pickups compare, compliment or kit bash with these.

photo-thumb-840.jpg?_r=1382321962

On the kit body, the windshield top is too low. If you cut the plastic up to the top molding line, it will look better and the kit glass will cover it. Then you'll need to score a new molding line.

I agree, Tom.This is the procedure I've used on my builds.

Edited by Repstock

To expand on what Tom said above-

Getting the transfer case lined up with the front diff is iffy- it wasn't just you, Tom! I've built a couple of these and that area is always iffy at best. I like to install the transfer case after the engine is installed in the chassis. That helps aligning everything to a degree. Also, if I recall, the kit includes the 2-wheel drive front suspension, but it is not shown in the instructions. Might be better off using that instead anyway - as was mentioned, the F-350 4x4s of this body style did not have coil springs up front, which the kit has. Neither of the front suspensions is really much of a knockout anyway, but on par with a kit of this vintage detail-wise, and more than passable.

You'd need to modify the '53 bed to be 100% correct for a late '70's truck- there were a few differences in the upper bedsides and tailgate, but the '53 piece absolutely is the best thing to start with if a Flareside Dentside is your thing.

Also note that what is shown on the instructions as the rear bumper could also be used as the front bumper if you want to backdate this kit- that's the same front bumper used on Ford light trucks from 1957 well into the '70's.

I don't know how well it will fit this chassis, but I plan on fixing the engine issue by swapping in the 351 from the AMT Phantom Ford van kit.

e1_3-vi.jpg

Chuck I did save some pix of one to use for building a shortie bumpside someday. You are correct, there are small differences but nothing we folk can't handle. Also note in this photo the position of the top of the windshield.

MVC004F-vi.jpg

In this photo you can see just how low that windshield top really is. Oh, and two more little things about the kit. The drip rails are poorly formed so I replaced them. The model emblems on the cowl side just behind the hood are delicate and faint. They'll disappear under a few coats of paint and are very difficult to dry brush.

And one last comment, thanks for letting me know I wasn't crazy on the transfer case! I'm thinking that next time I'd install it hanging off the drive shafts and once those were in place just hit it was a dab of glue to affix it to the chassis where ever it has landed!

Edited by Tom Geiger

And one last comment, thanks for letting me know I wasn't crazy on the transfer case! I'm thinking that next time I'd install it hanging off the drive shafts and once those were in place just hit it was a dab of glue to affix it to the chassis where ever it has landed!

My pleasure- quite a few iffy-fitting parts on this Effie! Might try hanging it off the driveshafts on the next one I build and see how that goes.

I don't know how well it will fit this chassis, but I plan on fixing the engine issue by swapping in the 351 from the AMT Phantom Ford van kit.

Is that 351 a Windsor or Cleveland, Chuck? The valve cover shape is the giveaway. A better choice, if it's a Windsor, might be the Boss 302 from an Eliminator as they had the Cleveland style heads, like the 351M/400. The Cleveland from the Mustang GTP kits or the monogram nascar T-bird kits could be another choice.

mike

Edited by mk11

Is that 351 a Windsor or Cleveland, Chuck? The valve cover shape is the giveaway. A better choice, if it's a Windsor, might be the Boss 302 from an Eliminator as they had the Cleveland style heads, like the 351M/400. The Cleveland from the Mustang GTP kits or the monogram nascar T-bird kits could be another choice.

mike

The one from the van is a Windsor, but swapping heads and/or valve covers could disguise it enough to work as a Cleveland or Modified. The block is 'nondescript' enough to work. I'd have to check, but possibly the same could be said for the F350 engine. The main reason I'm leaning toward the Phantom van engine is because it's one of the few Ford small blocks from this era you can find in a kit which isn't over or underscale for what it represents. The Monogram NASCAR heads are a good idea- I have some of those as well as some from an AMT/Ertl NASCAR T-Bird. Might have to check and see how those would look on the block... :rolleyes: