Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '55 Chevy stepside... Changed directions... retired service station truck! (12/23)

My idea for this truck is somewhat of a 60s-70s vibe with a patina'd paint job. Going with a flat red over grey and red oxide primers that will show thru. I found some parts box Cragars, and some bias ply tires for the front, and M&H racemasters on the back.

20140909_183251_zpsj1k5cm3m.jpg

20140909_183229_zpsxpppongg.jpg

20140909_183240_zpswh0vi0uj.jpg

I cut, swapped sides, and flipped the rear shackles in order to raise the rear axle just enough to fully clear the racemaster slicks.

20140911_182143_RichtoneHDR_zps5bqrhc7t.

Thats about all I have for now... will be working on it more!

Edited by JTalmage

Thats what I thought when I read the article. 57's have the things on the hood like a Bel Air of the same year. Similar.

New pictures!

Rusted the old cragars because the chrome was worn off. Also put a few dents and dings in the truck because hey, its an old neglected truck turned 60's Hot Rod! I followed that with a base coat of red oxide primer.

2014-09-16%2021.21.22_zpszdiw4iym.jpg

2014-09-16%2021.22.10_zpsrdgbvenj.jpg

2014-09-16%2021.22.42_zpsbxgnwt7a.jpg

2014-09-16%2021.20.24_zpsjazwmfjo.jpg

2014-09-16%2021.19.26_zpsucrvdjag.jpg

And I added my favorite 2 part solution... but should I add more??

2014-09-16%2021.17.42_zpshozg82dc.jpg

Edited by JTalmage

Needs some fade! Rust holes!

Great start!

What's the engine gonna be?

I'm getting to that part. No holes though. Wanted it to just be a faded southwestern truck. Still have two to three coats of other paint to go.

Engine will be stock kit engine. Smallblock chevy w/ edelbrock goodies. Maybe a little weathering or dull coat on that stuff too.

You might want to knock back on the rust in the centers of the wheels, real Cragars do not rust in the centers, as the centers are aluminum. They tend to have the chrome peel off, and get the chalky corrosion on them, or the chrome will pit badly. The other rims of them do rust, however, as they are steel. You have that look nailed.

You might want to knock back on the rust in the centers of the wheels, real Cragars do not rust in the centers, as the centers are aluminum. They tend to have the chrome peel off, and get the chalky corrosion on them, or the chrome will pit badly. The other rims of them do rust, however, as they are steel. You have that look nailed.

That was exactly what I had in mind when I did this. However the chrome was gone on the spokes of the fronts. The rears I tried to wipe off the best I could before putting the solution on them. I'm going to add some greyish paint to the spokes afterwards. Just a mock up pick. But good catch on that. Most dont notice that.

Threw a few layers of paint on it last night. The green turned more of a mint color because of the white I had to put down first. I'm not really sure how I like it yet. I was hoping it would be darker. Now I sort of miss the red oxide primer look...

2014-09-17%2021.44.03_zps8qfuuho9.jpg

Edited by JTalmage

I'm hoping my plan I had for something very similar to that will pan out. I painted a red/brown color over the red oxide primer, then a white over the red/brown, then the green over the white. I'm hoping that I can wetsand it very lightly to expose the white and then go thru to the red/brown which will look like dull rust. We'll see. The paint doesnt stick to this purple plastic at all it seems which doesnt make me very happy.

Thanks! I didnt have much time to work on it this weekend. I had to go out of town. But I did work on it friday evening and when I got back yesterday. Here's what it looked like out of the bag on Friday.

2014-09-19%2018.15.14_zps2bpxma0b.jpg

I needed to do more parts and perfect the look so I added more iron surfacer, let it dry, brushed on the solution, and back in the bag it went for about 2 days. I wrapped them in plastic bags too... as an experiment to see if it would give it any textures. Here's what it looked like when I got back sunday.

20140921_154303_zpsefyedknd.jpg

20140921_154311_zps37vucajw.jpg

20140921_154320_zpsyz34lmfp.jpg

It didnt let some of the spots fully react to the solution. So I touched those spots up with more iron surfacer and back in the bag it went...

You can really see the imperfections on the hood and a little on the roof.

20140921_193632_zpsdqsbhpge.jpg

I took it out of the bag this morning and it looked considerably better but I didnt snap any pictures. I think the body is done now as far as rust goes.

I did cheat a little and realized that the roof on '55 chevy trucks can be white. But I didnt know that when I painted it. So after I rusted the top I painted around the perimeter and some parts of the center w/ white, and then rusted it again. Looks perfect!

The window trim is deceiving because it LOOKS like it should have BMF on it for the trim... but pictures I see of most trucks dont have chrome trim. So I need to do more research on that.

Edited by JTalmage

I just gotta say... painting colored plastic sucks. I have to give everything multiple coats! I had to paint the engine orange twice, the headers steel twice, the intake aluminum twice... sheesh... I thought this build was going to be fairly quick.

It depends...it looks that this plastic in this issue is'nt normal plastic...looks like the kind diecast companies use and that of the AMT promo models