Model Cars Magazine Forum

Models on American Pickers last night

Guest Johnny

All of these shows any more are just garbage shows. It is really sad what people will accept as entertainment any more. Especially with way more important things going on in the world that the majority haven't a clue about! :(

This is for our viewing entertainment. If there were no controversies it would be less entertaining. These kinds of shows have made the re-sale businesses a good market to be in today. Not so good for the buyer. Note: just because it is old does not mean it is valuable, desirable, or collectable.

For whos viewing entertainment ? :lol: , not mine, and these style shows are growing like a wild fire, and the pawn style shows, and the storage ones, and the ones that I can not think of. Dont get me wrong, I liked watching pawn stars, shipping wars, and sometimes storage wars, but do we really need 100 different variants of each ? :lol:

• 1 year later...

In the episode I watched last night the guys bought a batch of unbuilt early 60's AMT "3 in one" model car kits. $20 each.

I have no idea of their value just thought it was an interesting tidbit.

The guy had several shelves of kits but these were about the only ones you could get a good look at.

Edited by spawndude

I'm thinking that maybe the show itself reimburses the seller the difference between what the guys pay the seller and what the guys sell the item for.

Would not be good PR for the show to have a bunch of folks start complaining they were ripped off. Most of the items the guys buy and then sell don't involve large sums of money.

Yeah, there is usually one item each episode that sells for big bucks but most items price would be pocket change to a popular show like this.

I do remember one episode where they bought some old circus freak show type tarps and went back to the seller to give him some extra money because what they eventually sold them for was thousands more than what they originally paid him. Seems like there was another episode where they returned to give the seller some extra cash.

I'm pretty sure the sellers are well compensated in some way to ward off lawsuits. I can just imagine the headlines of "Big Bad Rich TV network takes advantage of Granma and Granpa!!!"

Edited by spawndude

Yeah $20 for a kit from the 60's seems pretty cheap. Unless they were missing a lot of parts.

I suppose they were going to sell them for $50. (or so they say)

Yep I hear you and agree....they claim to get these high prices for things and pay way more than one could ever hope to get for an item. Bad thing is it makes everyone thing their stuff is worth its weight in gold....if their telling the truth they can come by here with loads of cash to spend.

Man, who pulled up an ancient thread again? I read a bunch of posts before realizing I had travelled back to 2012?? :rolleyes:

It's friggin television! Of course it's scripted, it's a TV show. In reality these guys could not make a living driving around aimlessly buying a few hundred worth of stuff at every stop. And no real dealer buys things for $50 to sell for $60. In real life, to maintain two stores they'd be buying entire estates for pennies on the dollar. You have to be able to mark stuff up to double / triple / quadruple to make any money after store rent etc, never mind all the diesel fuel they burn driving everywhere.

The show is for the general public who get into the romance of being on the road, and being free to buy what they see. My wife's relatives who have no knowledge of collectibles at all watch the show and tell me they think of me!

I watch the show. I like Mike and Frank, they might be good guys to have a beer with. And in reality? Mike pitched the show. Mike owns the business. Frank actually does something else.