Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Range of Hot Rod Wheels & Tyres, Old School Style !

Hey Guys.

This is something I have been wanting to do for a while because I do not believe there are enough real hot rod wheel tyre combinations out there as in Proper magnesium style Big, n Littles, not low profile large diameter billet combinations or regular street style wheel but real hot rod wheels.

I will be producing a range of these wheels and tyres in 1:25 scale. These will be old school, high profile, wide tread, smooth wall, deep dish style. The Wheels will be modelled off 16 inch ET 111's, there will be two widths, a standard and extra width to suit pro street builds. The image shows what I am aiming for with these wheels. For anyone unfamiliar with the Hot Rod in the back drop it was built by a guy called Bobby Alloway. Anyone who has not heard of Bobby should look him up because he builds some awesome rides, especially 33 and 34 Fords.

While the wheels will be primarily designed for pre 49 Fords, Chevs and Willys they should look equally cool on fifties and later classics and muscle cars. Once I have created them I will be trying them out on different kits to see how they sit in relation to ride height and over all stance.

P8173309_zps25fa29c4.jpg

Edited by fractalign

The wheels are in the concept stage at the moment. The image below of the Pete Eastwood Tudor shows the other type of wheel I want to produce. The tyres on the Eastwood Tudor are Firestone Dirt Trackers although mine will be slightly different to these. The wheels in the bottom images show the Dirt tracker/ pro street style on the right and the standard width version on the left. I am also looking at including separate white walls as a build option.

P8173313_zps7d67f3c4.jpg

P8173310_zps13b149f0.jpg

Edited by fractalign

These are just some of the ones I want too produce but these are also the ones I want finished for when I launch the range. While I won't have any trouble creating the wheels, the tyres are a different story. To come up with the higher profile and complex tread patterns is not something that can easily be done by hand. I have tried scratch building the tyres but they are flawed which is why these are just concepts.

What I am looking for is someone with a strong knowledge of CAD software who can create a tyre based of these images. These designs will need to be converted into STL files, because once I receive them I will be looking at getting them 3d printed at a high end store. The other thing working against me with this project is money. I will need to get an idea of how much it will cost for someone to create these tyres. If I can not afford it I will have to look at other means. What I can offer in return is various finished versions. I have extensive moulding and casting experience so once the prototypes are printed out and refined I can begin casting them straight away. I can send you through whatever versions you want in exchange for your expertise. I should ad that I have some very unique ideas with these designs that will stand them apart from anything else around. These ideas are so unique that I will not be sharing them with anyone on the forum, sorry guys ! that is unless you are able to assist me with the tyre designs.

If anyone is unsure of what I can produce, these images should give you an idea. These are the wheels and tyres I did from last year. While the tyres will need to be similar to ones in the images, that is all they will be, I do not want direct copies, I want these wheel tyre combinations to be unique. I can send you through the dimensions along with some varying tread patterns. The tyres will have to fit the wheels I am working with. The wheel themselves are the ET 111's from the AMT 32 Victoria. Like the tyres these wheels will be extensively remodelled from the originals but the diameters will remain the same. These sets will be unlike anything else out there, my goal with this project is to create high combinations that will make each model stand out from its out of the box counterparts.

Anyway anyone interested should let me know and if you do decide to help me with this project I will do my best to make it worth your while.

Cheers !PA252351_zps6f766ceb.jpg

PA252348_zpsda9be33e.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Please excuse me for being somewhat off subject. I'm interested in the '34 Ford 3-window in your last picture. Is that the old Monogram 1/24th scale version? If so there is a significant need for reproductions of this relatibely rare out of production model, in chopped and unchopped versions in resin with and without fenders.

Please excuse me for being somewhat off subject. I'm interested in the '34 Ford 3-window in your last picture. Is that the old Monogram 1/24th scale version? If so there is a significant need for reproductions of this relatibely rare out of production model, in chopped and unchopped versions in resin with and without fenders.

Hey Bernard.

Although it looks like the Monogram 1:24 scale 34 3 Window, its actually a modified version of the Revell Snaptite 1:25 34 3 Window as I wanted to build an accurate version of the California Kid further down the track. The snaptite 34 3 window is the most accurate 1:25 scale 34 3 window body in my opinion. The centre section in the roof is from the AMT 5 window kit and the body is basically a replica of the California Kid right down to the stock hinges and laid back windscreen. The reason the body is two part is because I made up a stock height roof as well. The image below is the master body in a mockup of "Tha Kid" this is before I finished the body which is why it looks so rough.

P8030008_zps8851357a.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Although it looks like the Monogram 1:24 scale 34 3 Window, its actually a modified version of the Revell Snaptite 1:25 34 3 Window... The centre section in the roof is from the AMT 5 window kit and the body is basically a replica of the California Kid right down to the stock hinges and laid back windscreen. The reason the body is two part is because I made up a stock height roof as well. The image below is the master body in a mockup of "Tha Kid" this is before I finished the body which is why it looks so rough.

"Master body", huh? So how does one obtain one (or more) of these little gems? Brilliant to make a stock height roof. too.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I have cast a few up and I will be looking at releasing them a little further down the track once I have ironed out a few bugs in the casting process. They will be done as semi complete kits, minus the engine and wheels for the full rendered versions and minus the engine and fenders for the race versions. As far as a stock height option goes that is little further down the track as well as I need to iron out a few flaws before I cast it. I added extra detail inside the body including detail in the door skins.

P8183342_zps4a6d2aeb.jpg

P8183339_zpsa87bc812.jpg

Edited by fractalign

Hmm,Do you plan on using those wheels for your California Kid?

The wheels I am using for the California Kid will be the same ones in the image above. These wheels are from the Revell 32, Hiboy roadster kit, but the front tyres are actually from the Revell, snaptite 34 kit that this one was mastered from. Most of the parts for the build will be sourced from the Revell 32 kits including the engine.

Edited by fractalign

...I have cast a few up and I will be looking at releasing them a little further down the track once I have ironed out a few bugs in the casting process. They will be done as semi complete kits, minus the engine and wheels for the full rendered versions and minus the engine and fenders for the race versions. ...

Keep us posted!

The wheels I am using for the California Kid will be the same ones in the image above. These wheels are from the Revell 32, Hiboy roadster kit, but the front tyres are actually from the Revell, snaptite 34 kit that this one was mastered from. Most of the parts for the build will be sourced from the Revell 32 kits including the engine.

The reason I would be asking that is, The California Kid I remember was from 1973 with Steel wheels, Smooth caps, and Beauty rings. The later version with the wheels pictured. I consider the California Teenager/Young Adult. I don't know Why they ever updated the car? But thats just my 2 cents.

The reason I would be asking that is, The California Kid I remember was from 1973 with Steel wheels, Smooth caps, and Beauty rings. The later version with the wheels pictured. I consider the California Teenager/Young Adult. I don't know Why they ever updated the car? But thats just my 2 cents.

You are talking about its configuration for the movie, when it was originally built it ran old school Halibrands, which were changed to steelies for the movie. I like they way it looked in all its configurations but I especially like the way it looks now.

Hey Guys.

Your feedback about the wheels has been noted. I scaled up the ET 111's I have and they work out to around 20 inches which is way too big. The ones on the Alloway coupe are only 16 inch diameter so I will definitely be downsizing from these ones. I also tried out a few combinations today that are a bit more traditional. I know A guy over here who might be able to help me kick this project along especially in relation to the ET 111's so I might give him a call. In the meantime I put these combinations together.

P8173309_zps25fa29c4.jpg

Edited by fractalign