Model Cars Magazine Forum

84-92 Lincoln Mk Vii Questions

I've always wanted to build an 84-92 Mark VII, I've just never pursued it. I missed my chance back in the day to get the AAM kit, and now they are among the rarest things on earth. After reading the post about the TKM kit in the resin section, I guess thats out too. Now, I've decided to go ahead and start on one using the only thing available, the Revell pro-street MK VII, and bash with an 87 T-Bird.

My question for the experts here.....just what all do I need to fix? I've heard over the years that the body is too short, but after some preliminary measuring with a scale ruler, it seems to be right, or very close, as does the wheelbase, at 108 inches, which, my sources say 108.5. I know the hood has to be fixed. Just what all is incorrect about the body? Thanks. :lol:

I've always wanted to build an 84-92 Mark VII, I've just never pursued it. I missed my chance back in the day to get the AAM kit, and now they are among the rarest things on earth. After reading the post about the TKM kit in the resin section, I guess thats out too. Now, I've decided to go ahead and start on one using the only thing available, the Revell pro-street MK VII, and bash with an 87 T-Bird.

My question for the experts here.....just what all do I need to fix? I've heard over the years that the body is too short, but after some preliminary measuring with a scale ruler, it seems to be right, or very close, as does the wheelbase, at 108 inches, which, my sources say 108.5. I know the hood has to be fixed. Just what all is incorrect about the body? Thanks. :lol:

If you can find a copy of "Standard Catalog Of American Cars" covering this era, I think you will find there are wheelbase and overall length differences between the Mark VII and the corresponding Thunderbird/Cougar. I researched the car years ago for a resin transkit, and found this to be true. The length differences are in two places in the body shell--between the doors and the C-post/sail panel, and in the rear deck. While the differences are not huge, they do make for completely different proportions, and aren't at all difficult to achieve.

One problem with mixing the Monogram '87 Tbird (1/24th scale) and the Revell "Hot Rod Lincoln" (1/25th scale) is that in addition to the approximately 4% scale difference, Revell foreshortened the Mark VII body shell to fit the Matt & Debbie Hayes Tbird Prostock, thus eliminating the length and wheelbase differences I mentioned above.

Biscuitbuilder

The Mark VII's are some of my favorite cars. Best of luck on your conversion. Seems pretty much straight forward.

One day I'm gonna take my Mark VII kit and one of the Monogram F350's and try to build this...

StarfireSupport-vi.jpg

Our 1988 27ft Eldorado Starfire motorhome.

Yep, that is a real Mark VII grille and headlights on that thing!

• 4 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting such an old topic, but would a Revell 92 Cougar chassis work instead of the tbird chassis for this conversion?

The 1992 Cougar/Thunderbird chassis was a different animal than that era Mark VII. They were totally redesigned for '89 which IIRC, included a new floorpan and suspension. I have the Revell kit as well and am looking for "junk" body to "fix" the Revell one, which like Art said is out of proportion in certain places.

Well, I do not care for the model being 100% authentic. It's that my lincoln kit is missing a few parts and I thought I would make it into something that looks stock, maybe with some custom touches. Cougar kit has some parts I could use for other models so I wouldn't care about cutting the 2 kits to build the stock looking Lincoln.

I guess all I care about is will the Cougar interior and chassis fit without too many modifications?