Model Cars Magazine Forum

Packard Street Rod

Now this is where the fun is for me :lol: . I love the old classics and street-rods, so any chance I get I'll combine them. I'm in the assembly stage, so I'm taking my time. Usually do anyway :lol: Lot's of pieces right now. Interior is pretty far along. Cut the tub apart so I could detail the door panels better. Also got the "carpeting" in. For carpet I use suede - the backside of the goatskin leather I get from Denmark and Sweden. Very soft and lifelike and works easily. I buy it in "skins".

Before painting the body parts and the up-top, I used a tiny drill for all the places where "snaps" go for installing the up-top and side curtains, as well as those that hold the up-top together. I use very tiny straight pins I get from a fabric supply house. It took 23 for the top and 29 for the body. Very life-like.

I cut the hood into several pieces, and will install hinges in two places. Got the body painted next and then rubbed out to a nice shine. Next, I detailed the top and added the snaps, and then added the snaps to the body also.

Lot's more to do, but hey, how many people get to street-rod a half-a mill Packard :lol:

2008_0702Photobucket10008.jpg

2008_0702Photobucket10002.jpg

2008_0702Photobucket10001.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Here's a update pic, mocked up with a little more done. The wheels come from two seperate die cast cars. Bigs and littles. There the same except for the centers. I had several set's of both, so there was enough for the side-mounts(spares) and to cut the center knock-offs out of the Bigs and install on the littles.Pics will hopefully explain.

The sidemount already has the knock-off installed.

2008_0703Photobucket10014.jpg

2008_0703Photobucket10009.jpg

2008_0703Photobucket10016.jpg

Here's the knock-off's ready to be installed

2008_0703Photobucket10017.jpg

:D Yer TOO MUCH fer me kiddo! Good thing I'm privey to your secrets or I'd think it was MAGIC!!!Another GREAT BUILD! This ones gonna be a KILLER TOO! I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! Where else could I enjoy such BEAUTIFUL models?( I LOVE your models too!) (you wanna adopt me? I come with my own pension!) :D:D;)

I really have a hard time understanding how someone that has the skills and patience necessary to build a model such as this can display such poor taste and judgement all in the same subject. The fact that others have responded so enthusiastically to your efforts makes me question the validity of their own efforts.

I can go along with the fact that people will have different tastes and preferences. I can even hold in high regard the craftsmanship displayed in the build of a car I do not like. But this model suffers in so many areas, such as poor proportions, ridiculous colors (like something on a clown car), a drivetrain that is as interesting as watching paint dry, and wheels that have all the appeal of a root canal.

In your post you state that you love classics. If that is the case, can you elaborate on your choice of a subject and your thought process on the mods you have made? Other than the car being unusual, what motivates you to build such a model? Not only were the real cars the absolute state-of-the-art in technology, they were also highly functional and set the styling standard by which others were judged. In no way have you approached ANY of these particular areas in a manner that could be considered an enhancement.

Seeing a post with Packard in the title was very encouraging. Looking at the post went beyond disappointment. I have not looked at many of the custom builds on this forum, and after seeing this I know why...

I really have a hard time understanding how someone that has the skills and patience necessary to build a model such as this can display such poor taste and judgement all in the same subject. The fact that others have responded so enthusiastically to your efforts makes me question the validity of their own efforts.

I can go along with the fact that people will have different tastes and preferences. I can even hold in high regard the craftsmanship displayed in the build of a car I do not like. But this model suffers in so many areas, such as poor proportions, ridiculous colors (like something on a clown car), a drivetrain that is as interesting as watching paint dry, and wheels that have all the appeal of a root canal.

In your post you state that you love classics. If that is the case, can you elaborate on your choice of a subject and your thought process on the mods you have made? Other than the car being unusual, what motivates you to build such a model? Not only were the real cars the absolute state-of-the-art in technology, they were also highly functional and set the styling standard by which others were judged. In no way have you approached ANY of these particular areas in a manner that could be considered an enhancement.

Seeing a post with Packard in the title was very encouraging. Looking at the post went beyond disappointment. I have not looked at many of the custom builds on this forum, and after seeing this I know why...

Happy 4th of July V8 Packard :lol:

I belong to two model clubs and some of the guys would agree with you. I appreciate your openness questioning my motivation,and also your compliment on my skills.

I've been an avid car guy all my life and also a Plasti-aholic as well as an artist,and a person who is always looking for a way to do something a little different, that maybe no one has thought of. Kind of fun to step out of the box. :P

In some area's I'm a purist like you are, especially with real cars. But for me this is plastic and a hobby. It's a way for me to express my imagination, and creative thinking and artistic talent, to create something that brings me enjoyment, and share it people here that are friends.

It's fun belonging to a forum like this where you can make friends and and receive honest comment's like yours and other's.

We all love what we do here and enjoy giving each other encouragement.

I hope you stick around :lol: and get aquinted with us, and maybe come to undrestand some of our unorthadox reasoning for enjoying what we do here, and how we do it.

I hope to here from you again.

Keep in touch - Dave :lol:

Here's a car I owned and restored in the early 70's. Maybe you'd enjoy this more. It's a '57 Pontiac Safari Wagon. Just too much fun :D

2008_0414Photobucket10036-2.jpg

:lol: Yer TOO MUCH fer me kiddo! Good thing I'm privey to your secrets or I'd think it was MAGIC!!!Another GREAT BUILD! This ones gonna be a KILLER TOO! I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! Where else could I enjoy such BEAUTIFUL models?( I LOVE your models too!) (you wanna adopt me? I come with my own pension!) :lol::lol::lol:

Hey George :P

How much is your pension? :blink::lol::rolleyes::unsure:

once again great stuff,I also think a longer engine would be neat but perhaps I'll try something similar with what I would like. one question how did you get the molding/beltline painted so crisply? I always have problems with the curves like the one going over the trunk and sometimes discerning where exactly the raised portion ends.is this your artistic talents coming in extremely handy or could some of us mere mortals get the same results? thank you for sharing something different,I also get the feeling that these custom classics might be gaining in popularity i know that it has been on my list but improving on such gorgeous curves is a bit daunting.

once again great stuff,I also think a longer engine would be neat but perhaps I'll try something similar with what I would like. one question how did you get the molding/beltline painted so crisply? I always have problems with the curves like the one going over the trunk and sometimes discerning where exactly the raised portion ends.is this your artistic talents coming in extremely handy or could some of us mere mortals get the same results? thank you for sharing something different,I also get the feeling that these custom classics might be gaining in popularity i know that it has been on my list but improving on such gorgeous curves is a bit daunting.

Hey Randx0 :unsure:

"Mere Mortals" huh :lol:

The difference here I think is that I'm way older than most here and have in many cases made way more mistakes trying to get these skills perfected. They are only skills because I never gave in to all the failure's and mistakes I experienced and created :lol::lol::P and depended on all the praying I did for HELP !!!

I have a drawer full of different tapes, but Tamiya's to me is the best. Over the years I have worked really hard at perfecting color seperation lines and am still working on it. Patience, good tape, a brand new #11 blade, and a steady hand work well for me :lol: .

On the Packard, I used the narrow Tamiya tape to go the full length of the lower portion of the beltline. On the top of the beltline I used both the narrow tape and the 3/4 inch tape, covering everything. I use a "round" toothpick to press it into the creveces as I lay the tape in place. If you just lay the tape down completely and then press into place, the tape tends to release, making it difficult to follow the body molding with the Xacto blade.

I always use a brand new #11 Xacto blade and carefully follow the body lines. Once the tape area's that need to be pealed away, are removed, I re-press the tape back into place.

The other things I like about Tamiya tape is that it can be seen through, and leaves no residue if you let the paint dry before taping. I remove the tape immediately after painting, not allowing the paint to form a "bridge",as the paint will peal away with the tape leaving a jagged edge.

Sometimes the paint dries extra fast on a warm day or it takes a while to remove the tape carefully, and the edge may raise a bit. I use some "spit" on my finger or on an earswab and press the paint back down into place while it's still plyable and tacky. Usually right after the tape is removed.

Clear coating is another tool I use to make the edges "Crisp" and sharp. I spray an "inter-coat clear over the base color and let it dry over night before taping, and shooting the trim color. After the tape is cut and then removed that exposes the area to be painted, I shoot a light clear-coat to "Seal" the edge of the tape so there is no leaching of the trim color under the tape edge, wait 15 minutes and then shoot the trim color. Then remove the tape. After checking the "edge" and doing any repairs, I wait another 15 minutes then shoot a couple light coats of clear over the entire car to seal the trim color. Be carefull not to use too much clear here as fresh trim color tend to want to "float" or "release" up into the clear and eliminates that nice "crisp" seperation line.

Wait till the next day and shoot another light coat, medium coat and wet coat, of clear coat, waiting no longer than 24 hours, as "lacquers" and "Urethanes" have a window of time before your paint won't stick properly and may even "fish-eye".( I don't use enamels - Too unpredictable for me )

The last layers of clear coat really make the colors "Pop" and "Define" the sharp edge of the color seperation lines. It sounds like a lot of work, but for me, I love the "Sharp Crispness" as you call it. It can give a model that extra "Gotcha Factor" and contrast that I strive for , and that we all love to create. Lastly, rub the paint out after you've waited 3 days to a week depending on weather and drying conditions, and then give it a good wax job.

Any more questions, give a holler and I'll try to help :lol:

Hope this works for ya - Dave :rolleyes:

This is really turning out to be fun. :blink: . Getting closer to getting it finished.

Got the runningboards done. Used electrical tape and BMF.Did the same for the feature behind the passengers. Also BMD'd the hood latches and handle's.

Got the interior glued in and the body glued to the fenders. Hinging the hood was next.

I've read so many times people here wanting to see hinges done and went ahead and photographed each step.

I use two different sizes of brass and slide them together and bend to shape. Once that's done, I ready the hood pieces, by aligning them together with tape so the have the proper relationship to each other.

I use short pieces of tubing on the ends of the looped part of the hinge, so that once installed, the hood pieces can be slipped apart for finish and proper adjustment when glued in place.

2008_0705Photobucket10018.jpg

2008_0705Photobucket10019.jpg

2008_0705Photobucket10020.jpg

2008_0705Photobucket10021.jpg

2008_0705Photobucket10022.jpg

2008_0705Photobucket10024.jpg

2008_0705Photobucket10037.jpg

2008_0705Photobucket10036.jpg

Dave! :blink: I get 3,158 per month, And I come with MY OWN WIFE, who'll be Simply OVERJOYED to cook, clean, an Wash for us BOTH!!!!Sorry I can't share her too, but I made this deal when we married that I would take care of her, an Yadda,Yadda,Yadda.But you know how it is, A PROMISE IS A PROMISE! Either way I CAN guarontee good,hot meals, clean clothes to wear, a neatly kept home, And GREAT conversations!(She's pretty witty!) So wacha say ol buddy,ol pal, ol chum,DAD? I'd do ANYTHING to be next in line for those models! :blink::D:D;)

Lookin great Dave! I'm gonna have to break out my Monogram Cord 812 or my Heller Mercedes 190!

I'm really enjoying this build. You can do so many more different things than on a typical project. Kind of takes you out of the box and makes you think and plan with new idea's. Very challanging to try subtle nuances, and some extreme detailing and see what happens.

Obviously not everyone :lol: - LOL likes my "NUANCES" B) , but hey, this for me is about all kinds of fun stuff.

"Plastic Rules" and so does "Creativity" - EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAH !!!

Guest Davkin

Hmm.....I'd be suprised if V8Packard wasn't a regular member of this forum that cowardly hid behind an alternate user name just to give you a hard time Dave. Your style of modeling certainly isn't my cup of tea either but I greatly admire your skills and creativity and after all, it's just plastic, have whatever kind of fun with it you'd like to. I also have to commend you Dave for how well you handled this troll, I'm not sure I would have been so kind. B)

David

B) HEY, Dave's a CLASS ACT an that's a FACT! He can take some off the wall critism an still come out on top, WHY? CAUSE (AGAIN) HE"S A CLASS ACT!!! Jus cause some dude insults my man(hey, I'm still workin on the adoption)Don't mean he's gonna lower himself to a lesser level and not be who he is!Hey I like his outside the box thinkin, and it sure results in some of the most unusual and beautiful models I have ever seen,Hey, they sure look BETTER'n they did BEFORE he outside theboxed em! ###### comes for all sources, But mostly from A$$ holes! These opinions are purely my own and completely endorsed by ME! :lol:

Dave, that's a clever idea for hinging that type of hood! :lol:

Pay no attention to naysayers..........he makes his first post only to criticize? No intro, no "this is what I build"..........nothing. B)

Those of us that build like this with working stuff............I think we know what we're doing by now! ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

Now, where to start? Hmmm, why would you take the time to do such a negative post? Believe me I am all about freedom of speech and expression, but I also believe that just because you have the right doesnt mean you really need to say it. And honestly if you would take the time to look at the customs on this site you would really enjoy this site. Granted there are some builds on here that I am not to keen on but I always respond in a positive manner. I never put down peoples models, no matter what they are, if I really don't like them I just don't post. It's as simple as that. With that being said, Dave I comend you on the way you handled that.

Hmm.....I'd be suprised if V8Packard wasn't a regular member of this forum that cowardly hid behind an alternate user name just to give you a hard time Dave. Your style of modeling certainly isn't my cup of tea either but I greatly admire your skills and creativity and after all, it's just plastic, have whatever kind of fun with it you'd like to. I also have to commend you Dave for how well you handled this troll, I'm not sure I would have been so kind. B)

David

I agree, I probably would not have handled that as well either, well I guess I didn't.

Dave, that's a clever idea for hinging that type of hood! :lol:

Pay no attention to naysayers..........he makes his first post only to criticize? No intro, no "this is what I build"..........nothing. :lol:

Those of us that build like this with working stuff............I think we know what we're doing by now! :P

Thanks Bill and everyone else here. :P

I'm like you Bill, I'm just here to build what I enjoy and share it, and enjoy other peoples stuff too, and if I get to help someone - all the better ;) .