Model Cars Magazine Forum

Am I the first to lose a model?

Impcon reminded me of what happened to my childhood collection. My bedroom was on the lower level of the house and my closet was a long deep one that filled in a void under the stair case along the outside wall of the house. When I moved out at 19 I left most of my stuff there, since it was still my room and I didn't know if I'd be back.

My dad discovered termites swarming outside the house and found where they came inside in my closet. They ate the wall and wood molding and got into all the model boxes stored on the floor. They ate the boxes and instruction sheets, and left a muddy mess everywhere. I never got to see it, he just packed it all in the garbage and away it went!

Lost were a bunch of early 70s Mopar and Chevy annuals, Tom Daniel customs and a bunch of Airfix and Revell of Germany kits I had brought back to the US from when we lived in Germany. Many of these kits had my juvenile work on them, but we know how to fix that now.

So all I have left from my teen years are the kits that were on the top closet shelf. Oh, I do have a Porsche 914 kit that has the box side panel eaten as a souvenir from that episode.

I had a large box, once, that contained the following models I had opened but, not built:

Revell Tuner Ford Focus

Revell Tuner 93 Honda Civic

Revell Lowrider Chevy Citation

Revell Lowrider Mercury Cougar XR-7

AMT Fast and Furious Mitsubishi Eclipse

AMT Fast and Furious Toyota Supra

No one knows what happened to that box to this day. But I went to my parents' house the other day and found an open Dale Earnhardt Goodwrench Monte Carlo, with some of my other models in my old closet, that I do not recall ever buying. :huh:

Edited by Skydime

• 5 months later...

Never lost a whole model YET,but what drives me crazy is losing pieces! They seem to disappear without any trace! The thing is that I work at my desk all of the time.

The piece is there,in front of my eyes,and 5 minutes later,cant find it anymore! its not on the floor,i aint got no kids or anyone to steal 'em,so i guess its the modelers God

that took it because of the numerous modeling sins ive done in my life.. :lol:

Been there, done that! We just recently moved and I'm missing a 65 Impala I built a while back. Have no clue whether it went missing at the old place before we moved, but I don't remember packing it and I can't find it in any of my boxes of model stuff. Weird!

Never lost a whole model YET,but what drives me crazy is losing pieces! They seem to disappear without any trace! The thing is that I work at my desk all of the time.

The piece is there,in front of my eyes,and 5 minutes later,cant find it anymore! its not on the floor,i aint got no kids or anyone to steal 'em,so i guess its the modelers God

that took it because of the numerous modeling sins ive done in my life.. :lol:

Had that happen twice recently. First with my F&F Supra, missing the lower gravel shield and top suspension mounts. Took me forever to find a cheap enough gluebomb for the replacement piece. And the 2007 Charger police cruiser had all the clear pieces missing for the light bars sometime between when I got it and when I went to put it together.

I had lots of extra parts and instructions as a kid. For whatever reason, I buried a bunch of parts and the instructions in the front yard under the lawn. Never found them again. I did find some parts to my Creeple People set in the crawl space. And a 1to1 RX7 transmission too. Buried treasure.

When I loose a model, After hours of searching & giving up a few days later looking for another build & open a box and Wa lah! There is the kit I had searched aimlessly for! At times while thinking of doing a kit bash I occasionally combine kits & Parts in the same box then forgetting where I put the blasted thing.

One of these days I might learn.

I once lost my box of Falcon rebuildables and parts. I looked everywhere and gave up. It finally surfaced. It was marked "Old Matchbox Cars" on the other end of the box and was sitting right out on my shelf. Duh! Found it when I took everything off the shelf and I noticed it was too light to be full of Matchbox cars.

I still have a Hubley Renault Daulphene that's been in hiding at least ten years. I have everything but the body in the right box. I just haven't seen the body in a long time. Still, I know one of these days I'll pop open a box and there it will be!

And there's the guys who leave models behind at NNL East! Pretty much an annual thing that there's 1-3 models left on the tables when we go to knock them down. Usually we get a frantic call that evening and we make arrangements to get the model back to them. I do have a very nice Corvette that someone left behind a long time ago. We searched the registration sheets, put it out there, and nobody ever claimed it. So if you know of someone who complains they had a model stolen at our show, have them give me a call!