Model Cars Magazine Forum

BEETLEJUICE

GrandpaMcGurk

Got the engine wired, scratch built a distributor w/vacuum advance, the dual port intakes and carbs are getting close, belt is on.......gotta make a coil, fuel pump, exhaust and carb linkage.

Started bending up & shaping the torsion bar arms for the rear from soft metal.........dang, a lot of work for a model that will fit on a buck with room to spare!

Avolksrod7001.jpg

Avolksrod7003.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

I like where this project is headed so far, and I must agree with the others who suggested cycle wheels up front; I'd run piecrust slicks in the rear myself, as opposed to huge tires.

I thought the same thing as Mike, stick the engine in the front!

I once decided that was the way to go as well ;)

da_bucket1-vi.jpg

Edited by VW Dave

Thanks gang.......I really appreciate your input and suggestions.

It's interesting that I haven't spent a dime on this build, time & scratch building for sure, but no coin.

It all started when the old woman came in the hobby room & said "good grief....clean this mess up & get rid of some of this junk that you're never going to use".

Okay, I understand that but she doesn't seem to understand that I might use this or that someday, maybe...maybe not, hee, hee.

So in an effort to humor her I figured I'd see if I could build a car from some of my stash.

Anyhow back to the build........

I cut down a '35 Auburn grille for the nose but wasn't really happy going with traditional buggy spring front suspension.

I decided to see if I could come up with a custom one off front set-up that was similar to the VW torsion bar unit but wider with disc brakes, dropped spindles along with rack & pinion steering.

Here's the goodies from the parts box and some scraps of plastic and tubing.

AtubVW001.jpg

AtubVW003.jpg

Here it is loosely assembled ready for some eyeballin' & more fabricating...........works for me.

AtubVW009.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't hurt to check everything to make sure it's all going to fit.....

When the rear hatch door is on, you have to look to able to tell it's rear engined.....when I get the hood & side panels on it should look pretty much like a conventional front engined hot rod.

Abettxlhast009.jpg

Abettxlhast006.jpg

Abettxlhast008.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

• 4 months later...