Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tri-Axle GMC GENERAL (W.I.P.)

What's goin' on...

Here's a GMC General I've been working for a few months now. It's being built as a daycab added so far are scratchbuilt mufflers, and a Nuway lift axle (AR-45-9) This is what a couple trailers out at work have under them. For the lift axle I used air bags from the AMT Peterbilt 359 and 352. The bags up front are from the 359 made to look like they're inflated lifting the axle off the ground. The rear air bags are from the 352 because these are not nearly as tall these are to look like they are deflated. FYI if the air bags at the rear of the axle were inflated the front would be deflated and the axle would be down.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1268/812288827_232e15273a.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1068/812288987_dc7353391f.jpg

Just when I figured out how to attatch a photo (file) to the posts ya'll went and reconfigured the forum HA HAAA.

Looks good so far Scott. I like what you did with the 3rd axle setup. It definitely gives the truck a different look and attitude.

I'm working on the Chevy Bison myself currently and am having a ton of fun with that re-issue. I am most likely heading for a regular tractor with the sleeper but I would like to convert one at a later date to a straight truck, possibly a logger or even a flatbed medium duty wrecker. There are still a few of those floating around these parts, albeit they are in pretty rough shape now.

You have definitely done a great job on this General though. Keep up the great work!

Scott,

This is looking good, I like the lift axle, do any of these lift axles on North American trucks steer? I ask this because I was looking at a photo of a 6 axle Paystar dump truck which had 3 lift axles and just wondering how they get round tight curves? Good Luck with the rest of the project and keep us posted with updates.

What's goin' on...

Dave.

Yeah there are steering lift axles. They resemble a steering axle they have two air bags one lifts the axle the other pushes it to the ground. There are two coil over shocks mounted parallel w/ the axle exerting pressure against the spindles so the axle runs straight and when the truck completes a turn it continues to remain straight. I worked for a trucking company that had about 15-20 CL700 Macks w/ three of these lift axles under under each truck. I don't miss changing those shocks!!! Drivers say when one of those shocks breaks the wheel on that side will steer in what ever direction it ends up . They say it feels like the trucks going to flip over when that happens. About four years ago I started building a L9000 w/ three steerable lifts and a rear strong arm axle. I have yet to finish it.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=67262840