Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Ferrari to Remember

With all due respect to Faust (Adam Rehorn) I didn't want to hijack his MPC Rainbow thread, but I was compelled speak in favor of the Ferrari Rainbow concept car. The Airfix kit is crisp and precise and it's more proportionally correct. The MPC issue is grossly disproportionate, they're not the same mold.

The 1976 Ferrari Rainbow is a product of the legendary Bertone styling house. It foretold the angular styling that followed through the 80's and it's styling contribution to the Lamborghini Countach is recognizable.

It's called the Rainbow because the hard top could be flipped up and slid down vertically behind the cockpit making it a rain or shine car. 3-litre, mid-engine V8.

BOX_zps2fb136fa.jpg

The Airfix kit is a curbside with no engine. There is a battery box and suggestions that it used to motorized.

Chassis_zpscc3f4211.jpg

KitContents_zps2d7c0c1a.jpg

Rims_zps987409a0.jpg

Tires1_zps46cceeba.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

It was originally unveiled by Bertone in white, which this kit represents.

308gt4_rainbow_White_zps24720232.jpg

However after it's initial impact, the studio jazzed it up with blue.

Ferrari_Rainbow_Bertone_01pop_zpsc943a43

The core mechanicals under the body is a Ferrari 308 GT which is why it keeps that designation. It still resides in the Bertone studio.

Oh my God!!

You're right, it's a totally different kit!! Why, oh God why, would anyone kit this once, let alone twice??

Thanks, too, Lunajammer, for not highjacking the other thread, but it would have been fine. It's exciting, if not repulsive, to see another kit of this tihng. The terrible part is that it's an Airfix that's better than an MPC!! WTF?

It does look like they got the proportioning a lot more correct, though. Makes me wonder if there is a secret society that was trying to sabotage Bertone's efforts... Oh, wait, that just happens on its own with the real car, doesn't it?

Thanks for the pics of the Airfix one. Now I think I want to get it, too! Then I can make my MPC into a hover car, or better yet, a hover Technical, with a machine gun on the co-pilot's side!

As well as producing their own products, Airfix reboxed kits from quite a few different manufacturers, It may be that this tooling is originally from somewhere else, e.g Heller, or possibly a Japanese manufacturer.

Edited by Paul H

Hmmm, I wonder if the full detail Revell Magnum 308 could be used as a parts donor for this? It would be an interesting model to go on the shelf next to the Lancia Stratos and Lamborghini Countach.

Now that's a very intriguing thought. Maybe this won't be such a quick build after all.

Thanks also 58Impala, I didn't know the Fiat X19 was Bertone styled but the similarities are undeniable. That line up could make an interesting shelf study.

Faust, the Rainbow's a face only a mother could love, but suckers like you and I grab these things because they're too "out there" to turn away. This sat on the far shelf of a hobby shop for a couple years before it finally spoke to me when I realized that's the only place I'd ever seen one. They're even scarce on ebay.

• 3 months later...

Thing is, the MR-2 and Fierro were a lot more streamlined that that thing!

They're both wedgy, true, but the Rainbow looks like a future armoured car, or even some kind of weird spaceship.

Good to know, though, that no matter who does it or when, pop-up-headlights ALWAYS suck.

The 1976 Ferrari Rainbow is a product of the legendary Bertone styling house. It foretold the angular styling that followed through the 80's and it's styling contribution to the Lamborghini Countach is recognizable.

Althoe both were from Bertone the Countach was from 1974, so it may have been the other way around. Personaly I see more FIAT X-19 here than anything else.

• 7 months later...

Bertone did many stunning cars, and here he is with my favorite, the 1968 Alfa Romeo Carabo. Too bad there isn't a kit.

Picture22_zps2d2b8cd5.png

Skip, you are definitely right - until then the old politoys 1/25 has to fill the gap:

I know it has some errors, but altogether it is not bad considering its age (ca. 1969/1970) and that it is intended to be a toy,

With some careful detailing and repainting one can turn it into a nice unique model

(also on my to-do-list)

post-11195-0-55510500-1397062497_thumb.j

post-11195-0-63308400-1397062695_thumb.j