Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairmont drag car build - Hanging/hinging DS door 8/10/16

• 1 year later...

Time for an update.  After a lengthy stretch of not having the time, losing my sense of direction and my work space being such a disaster it was difficult to get motivated, I finally took the plunge and jumped back into my Fairmont.  A major step was I finally took a deep breath and opened up the doors.

DSCN0919_zpsp34q8ysk.jpg

dsdoorcu_zpsmbynfu0t.jpg

I am in the process of adding door jamb detail which, so far, I'm pretty happy with.  It will be interesting to see how I get along with mounting the doors.  I intend to use a combination of RB Motion rod ends and bolt pins to allow them to be removable.  One of the next steps I'll be doing is removing the front end.  While it will make this a bit more flexible than I would prefer, it will help me to at least see what's going on at the front of the door and front door jamb.  As can be seen on the first pic, I have added some material to the forward and/or trailing edges of the doors to get them reduce the door gap.

doorjambcu_zpsyceweeot.jpg

DSCN0929_zpsxft0z3jy.jpg

This really is a lot of what motivated me to open the doors on this build.  I intend to have a number of pieces easily viewable, such as the pedal assembly, steering wheel, gauges and Lenco lever assembly when all is said and done, with the trans tunnel out of the car when on display.

seethru9lev_zpsxwwcid6l.jpg

seethru9high_zpsnotn6cqv.jpg

Other recent developments are the creation of a 3D-printed version of my original central frame rail section.  While my hand-built version filled the bill, I was always a bit unhappy with how some of the joints looked and this was a way to have something that is as close to perfectly finished/fitted as is possible.  I will have to go back in and add seat mount brackets, slide-in trans mount and drill for brake line clamps, but none of those should be a big deal.

newcentralframe_zpsctdw0z42.jpg

cntrlframeinstallmu_zpsngmiouir.jpg

I finished getting my rear wheels drilled for functional wheel studs, got the holes drilled for valve stems and assembled the front and rear halves together.  The last "new" detail is that I have come out with updated 14x32 and 16x33 slicks.  The 16x33s have a somewhat smaller ID and the rubber is stretchy enough that the slicks can be fitted over the assembled wheels.  Sorry for the "soft" photo...

rearrollingstock_zpsq9osbmor.jpg

Finally, a high shot of the whole shebang...

nodoors9hi_zpsizfvaiez.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Edited by futurattraction

Scott... what can  say but it is so great to see ypu back at the bench with this build. I am.loving the progress you are making. It is looking so good and I am loving the attention to detail. This is such am awesome build keep up the great work and I look forward to you next update.

Hey guys,

Tim - It feels good to get back to this.  I'll try to keep a place cleaned off so I continue to make progress!

I appreciate your looking (and chiming) in, Henry. :)

It is, indeed, resin Bill.  Have been wanting to incorporate this mod into my build for a long time, so it feels good to have "broken through"...

There's not doubt I'm a nut case, Joe.  You did know that Mr. Sobak and I are brothers, didn't you??? ;)

Thanks Danny!  You are a patient man, is all I can say.  LOL

Hey Chris.  Thanks brother.  I sort of feel like I've regained a direction and motivation for this project - I appreciate your encouragement!

Thank you, Brad.  Keep on keepin' on, I guess.  My head is so full of what I'd like to do on this.  Lord willing, I'll be able to accomplish a good share of them, anyway...

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement, Michael.

Leonard - Thanks for popping in!  It's always nice to hear from you and see what you've got going on for projects.

Hey Joe - I guess we're gonna have to draw straws to see who tells Mom.  I don't relish experiencing her reaction when she finds out she's got all of us as sons.  LOL

Thanks Joe.  Here's to more progress... :)

I appreciate it Kerry.  How've you been doing, buddy?

Okay - as long as I've got the ball rolling I'm going to keep nudging it along as best I can.  I got the passenger side door jamb installed a couple nights ago.

DSCN0937_zpsbkfcyfn7.jpg

I also went ahead and removed the front clip.  I'm not certain yet whether it was the wisest time to remove it, but the driver's side A-pillar had already broken and I was concerned that with all the inserting and removing the chassis that I'm doing that it was only a matter of time before I break the other pillar or one of the rocker panel-to-fender joints.  I decided I'll just live with whatever extra hassle it might be to deal with to at least control when stuff comes apart... LOL

DSCN0938_zpsbp2nmicp.jpg

DSCN0932_zpswodk1ysz.jpg

Although I don't have any pics of the WIP door itself, here are a couple of the door hing pivots at the front bulkhead/jamb:

DSCN0933_zpsx2iorhkz.jpg

We've all seen discussions about "floating" alternators.  In a similar fashion, I'm trying to figure out how, or if, there is a way to constructively deal with "floating A-pillars".

DSCN0934_zpsrrrhifeo.jpg

This is just a plain, weird shot, but thought I'd include it...

DSCN0931_zpsioogixxw.jpg

Let me know whatcha' think!

Edited by futurattraction

Scott. your super excellent work continues, but oooooh those free standing A pillars! :o

Is there any way you can maybe temporarily support those? I was thinking perhaps take some plastic square rod the height of the distance from the rockers to the base of the pillar and very lightly superglue those in place. After you've got the additional structure you need, you can always cut them away.

Just thinking out loud here. Unlike plastic, resin as you know can be quite unpredictable!

Edited by MrObsessive

This looks spectacular, and the detail is superb! the photoecht detail is simply amazing.

I have to finish my 1978 Glidden car which is using one of your bodies, I also removed the front clip, trunk but only opened one door, the driver side, Scott casting was/is so sharp and beautifuly cast that made these modification an easy choice for me.....as well as the engine which is also from Scott, great piece!!