Model Cars Magazine Forum

What have I gotten myself into? P/S Mustang - 9/18 - hood & spoiler update

Thanks Darryl. I'm excited to see you getting back to your build...

I got the little filler pieces plugged into the rear of the hood extension.

091513pics011_zps0762b373.jpg

I don't have pics yet, but I did get the rear of the hood trimmed to where its very close to its final configuration. I'll post a pic of that, probably next time I get pics taken.

In the meantime, I started another project I've had in the works for awhile. I have been intending to offer a fabricated 9-inch rear. I had one 3D printed quite some time back and finally got around to molding and casting it late last week. I devised my own poor-man's mill by using a Dremel .125" cutter in my drill press. I have a small X-Y machining table I can clamp to the drill press and pretty accurately run stuff underneath the cutter, progressively moving the cutter down into the work, effectively machining a slot in the work. This is the machined resin housing:

091513pics003_zps2963579a.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic of the brace insert before I actually glued it into the housing. Anyway, here is what it looks like mocked up under the car, from a couple different angles.

091513pics007_zps226f5665.jpg

091513pics009_zpsb7e393f7.jpg

...and a general view with both rear tires mocked up.

091513pics005_zpsa20b1d79.jpg

I got the spot glazing putty put on last night and will hopefully be able to start working that into shape tonight.

Thanks Dale. Will do (re the fabbed housing). I totally understand the dilemma of putting a modified OEM housing under a P/M car... lol I'm also toying with the idea of developing a basic late-model 'slammer pan that could be used for builds such as this. Yeah - you're right, there's not much left of the stock body appearance at this point.

Thanks Dale. Will do (re the fabbed housing). I totally understand the dilemma of putting a modified OEM housing under a P/M car... lol I'm also toying with the idea of developing a basic late-model 'slammer pan that could be used for builds such as this. Yeah - you're right, there's not much left of the stock body appearance at this point.

Tail lights???? LOL

Looking good Scott!!!!

Thanks Bill. I'm glad you like the looks of my fabbed rear end housing. I'll try to post some updates on it soon.

Dave - thanks! I'm making progress, little by little.

Thank you, Richard. I love fabrication and modifying things better than I do building (which explains why I never get anything built!).

Thanks Edward. I'm going to add the filler bung on top of the housing and a drain plug on the bottom and am working on PE 4-link brackets that will fit it when all is said and done.

I hope to get a couple pics posted tonight.

I think/hope I've pretty much finalized the shape of the windshield opening and the extension, while not quite finished is pretty close.

PEandMustangPS091813009_zps272d5c03.jpg

I've also begun work on the rear spoiler. I know that the trailing edge of it has to come up a bit to be NHRA legal because the angle is below parallel to the ground. I'll work on that, but at least it's started.

PEandMustangPS091813006_zps2322d11d.jpg

PEandMustangPS091813007_zps50ccc0e6.jpg

PEandMustangPS091813008_zps9483b845.jpg

Still trying to decide what I'll do for spill plates. PE ones would be a whole lot easier to make and match side-to-side, not to mention being more to scale, thickness-wise. That, of course, then raises the question about what to make the main spoiler out of... Anybody got any opinions about that? PE vs. resin vs. a provided template so the builder could scratch build something out of .030 styrene?

Edited by futurattraction

Scott, man you do some amazing work my friend. I for one would think the wing and plates would look much more realistic, I would think you could add raised bumps to replicate the screws? Only concern with using photo etch is can you decal it if someone wanted to do carbon fiber?

Joe

Spoilers: There are a lot of great resin spoilers on the market and they are all a PITA to fit to any body other than the one they were mastered for. I wrecked several in my builds, so I know. Fitting/trimming the outer sides is easier than the edge that joins the body, so I'd like to see either a single fit spoiler or a template for scratch building a styrene one. Maybe include the template and offer the spoiler as an option?

BTW: The spill plates on the resin wings from the "competition" hold up well. No breakage issues. I haven't seen anyone try that scalloped trailing edge where the support rods attach though. That might be an interesting seperate PE offering.

Dale

Joe - the CF question is a good one. I guess I'll toss this thought in, just because I can, that if someone is building this as an NHRA car, the spoiler is supposed to be painted to match the body, so, at least in that instance, a CF finish wouldn't work. If a guy was real careful, holes for small rivets could be drilled and rivets installed to replicate them. Real PE, could, of course have starter holes etched so the layout work would be done beforehand.

Thanks Bill!

I totally agree about what you said re resin spoilers. It's a pain in the rear to even fit what I've done so far, and the 3-5-degree change that I need to raise the rear of this spoiler will necessitate adding material outboard where it meets the deck lid so it fits tight. If I offer a spoiler or template, it will be intended to fit this body only - I guarantee that. Your template/spoiler option is a good suggestion! I'll probably experiment with some bracketry and see what I can come up with in PE.

Thanks Ray. Shooting some primer on it certainly makes all the work that remains stand out more! LOL It also helps add some three-dimensionality that might otherwise get lost when it's white plastic.

I appreciate your comment, Bill. It's sort of slow going sometimes, but I'm making some progress...

• 2 months later...