Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to paint Hot Rod flames, my way.

:twisted: I posed this in another thread under the General topic, it's better suited for the tips column .

Here's a link to a how to that I posted a few years ago on another board, David Lee saved it to his Fotki album and has been kind enough to let me share my tutorial using his album, if you click on each individual pic there you can read the text explaining my flaming process. Since I've done this how to I've fine tuned my technique and I will be coming out with a new and improved tutorial soon, when I get it done the Model Cars forum will be the first to know.

Thanks

Brian

click here for the how to.......

http://public.fotki.com/dlee61/reference_p..._nehring_flame/

Richsmercunmasked2500.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,

Thanks for the tutorial. As luck would have it, I have been scribbling flames on my notepad at my desk today and then I see this!

I have some test subjects that I plan on trying this out on and wanted to say thanks for the inspiration.

Mike

• 4 months later...

Well Jarius, actually no, i haven´t... thats why I asked :wink:

I tried with an ink pen, but it didn´t worked well.

I also have a brush like Steve has, but never tried it really... :oops:

Last year I met a swedish guy, Claes Beck-Fries, you may have heard or read about him, he makes awesome pinstripings with such a brush , so I bought one.

For straight pinstripings like on trucks I have very nice KFS decals which work well.

I usually use a very fine brush and Polly-Scale paints for outlining flames. It's water-based paint, so if you make a boo boo, just clean up the line with the tip of a #11 blade, after the outline paint has dried.

I outlined this Revell diecast with Polly-scale orange

DSCN0689-vi.jpg

These flames are shadowed rather than pinstriped, again with Polly-Scale blue paint. Some of our lysdexic club members asked me if these were waves,,,they just couldn't see the flames.

DSCN0679-vi.jpg

• 8 years later...